Stovebolt.com
Posted By: latroca52 Resize a stock steering wheel - Tue Dec 28 2021 08:33 PM
Anyone have any info website,YouTube videos,
On how to resize a stock 47-53 truck steering wheel ??
I put in p/s and don’t need the giant wheel not to mention my stomach and chest is to close as well thanks in advance
Robert
Posted By: Fibonachu Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 06:23 AM
What do you meam by "resize"? You can buy various diameters of steering wheels from your favorite parts vendor.

I have never heard of someone trying to change the size of an existing one.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 01:51 PM
Just buy the size you want and use it. Restore your original as a winter project and set it on the shelf to go with the truck when it moves on.
Posted By: mick53 Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 02:26 PM
I am resizing a 55 steering wheel for my 53 3100. I'm using a 55 wheel so I can use the factory turn signal mech. The column is the same size so it just slides on and nests with the wheel. I usually pick up the wheel and entire turn signal mech for about $20 at the junk yard. I plan to make silicon mold of the joining parts before disassembly. Then grind away the plastic and cut the steel structure and TIG the new wheel on. Then fill, grind and shape the new epoxy into shape. It will be a long process but I think it's doable. I have electric P/S and will be running a 1.5 or 2.0 steering quickiner. I have restored a few wheels and understand the structure. I have collected a few to play with. Thank you for your time.
Posted By: coilover Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 04:01 PM
I find it easier but still a long procedure to cut the center out of the factory wheel and graft it to the center of the smaller wheel. Still have to do the welding, shaping and grinding. Usually go with an IDIDIT or Flaming River anymore which are pricey but not when I figure in shop hours for re-shaping an original.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 05:25 PM
The GM steering shaft spline and taper is pretty much standard for all their cars and trucks over a few decades. Just find a car steering wheel that floats your boat and bolt it on.
Jerry
Posted By: buoymaker Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 06:25 PM
Robert, me too. Back in the 50's, I think GM was biased against short-legged people (vertically impaired).
I moved my seat back so my belly doesn't touch the steering wheel now my legs are too short to reach the pedals. Big grin.
The cheapest solution is to go on a diet or grow legs.
It's a lot easier than doing a steering reduction (https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1208cct-reclaiming-stock-steering-wheel/).
Click on, "See All 41 Photos". Old steering wheels crack and even after the work done above, cracks will happen again.

To keep the original look, I would buy a new reproduction steering wheel, for example:
https://qualityrestorations.com/chevyreduced-diameter/
For a classic appearance, but not original look:
https://www.tuckersparts.com/15-Chevrolet-Steering-Wheel-Replica.html?cat=1232
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 07:40 PM
There's a 16" diameter Chevy car steering wheel on Ebay, but it's got angled spokes, not flat ones. That will reduce the diameter by a few inches, but it will also move the rim closer to you. Original equipment truck steering wheels are 19" in diameter.
Jerry
Posted By: dougs Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Wed Dec 29 2021 08:53 PM
Take a look at the back of your seat. Consider having a 1" or 2" of padding removed. I also had a problem with my belly to close to steering wheel. Had a shop redo padding on back and it fixed problem.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Thu Dec 30 2021 02:02 AM
Some years back Classic Truck Magazine had an article on cutting down a stock steering wheel. They used 3 steering wheels to make one, it looked like a factory original once finished. I believe the with the choices in factory steering wheels you should be able to find on that fits your needs. Save your original as Martin suggests.
Posted By: latroca52 Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Thu Dec 30 2021 06:30 AM
Thanks for all the feedback on this topic I will do some more research on another steering wheel that will work well with my stock steering column.
Posted By: buoymaker Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Fri Dec 31 2021 01:23 AM
FYI:

I think Classic Truck Magazine sold out to Motor Trend (the link I posted above).
Posted By: rfs56trk Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Thu Jan 13 2022 09:52 PM
I found a wheel from a Fiero at Pick your Part. It has 3 spokes similar to the original wheel and has a slight dish to it. I replaced the horn cap with one from a mid 70's Camaro and used a bowtie emblem in the center. Also installed the stock turn signal cancel plate and it works well.
Fred
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Sun Jan 16 2022 11:15 PM
I saw a thread elsewhere where a 1960-66 C10 steering wheel that was “shrunk”. The work was more than I would want to put into a project, but the result looked nice. The diameter of the wheel was made smaller by cutting the spokes shorter and then re-welding them to the hub. Sections were removed from the outer ring and then the pieces that remained were placed in a jig to align them so they could be welded together again into a smaller ring. Most of the original wheel outer plastic (or whatever polymer it is) was retained but the gaps where the welding occurred were filled with an epoxy much like JB weld and shaped to resemble the original wheel material. All done and painted it looked nice but not what my time is worth. Just saying.

A smaller diameter aftermarket wheel is worth the money IMO. I will say that the aftermarket wheels do a poor job at helping the average Joe figure out how to make the horn work again when installing a new steering wheel. That’s been my stalling point when I think about installing the new wheel I still have in the. I’d on the shelf.
Posted By: buoymaker Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Sun Jan 16 2022 11:59 PM
The link is on page one if you want to use it for reference.
Posted By: Lugnutz Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Mon Jan 17 2022 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by buoymaker
The link is on page one if you want to use it for reference.
Yes indeed. I passed right by that link as I scanned the replies.

Looks to be the same set of pics I saw some time ago. Good reference!
Well, my description pales to that thread with pics.
Posted By: fixite7 Re: Resize a stock steering wheel - Sun Feb 06 2022 01:41 PM
Itroca 52 Sure you can re-size a steering wheel,get one that needs help,cut it down to your dimensions weld metal frame. Make a mold the shape you want pour in epoxy,file and sand,paint. Not rocket science !!
© The Stovebolt Forums