Stovebolt.com
Posted By: mick53 alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 02:53 AM
I finished my alternator bracket except for the right bolts. The damper that is in the pictures is a slip fit mock up damper. This is the SFI damper that BHJ made me that I clearanced the bracket for. The alternator is about 1 1/2" further forward than stock. It is very strong. I came out pretty good for a guy just winging it. Thank you for your time.

Attached picture alt d5.jpg
Attached picture alt d4.jpg
Attached picture alt d3.jpg
Attached picture alt d2.jpg
Attached picture alt d1.jpg
Posted By: Fox Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 05:36 AM
I wish I could wing it like that!
Posted By: mick53 Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Fox
I wish I could wing it like that!
Thanks. Here is a better picture of how it works. I don't know what those holes in the block are for but they sure are handy. I will probably use the ones in the same place on the other side to mount the oil pump. That is a Mechman custom built alternator and the round part where the bolt goes through was amazingly round and consistent so I bored the hole a few thousand's bigger and it is really rigid side to side even without being tightened down.

Attached picture alt 22.jpg
Posted By: Phak1 Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 12:30 PM
Nice job. I’ve been following you thread. Your building quite an engine there.
Posted By: EdPruss Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 02:47 PM
Those holes a engine mount bolts for front cross mount with rubber pads on each end.

Ed
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 03:15 PM
Mick, if you don’t post a long video of that monster running when you get it going, ALL of us are coming to your house for a live demo. BTW, you’re footing the fuel, food and lodging for all 41,000 of us!
nanner
Posted By: MNSmith Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 06:57 PM
I'm starting to feel a little less than adequate on the alternator bracket I just made!

Attached picture modela288.jpg
Attached picture modela289.jpg
Attached picture modela290.jpg
Posted By: bartamos Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 07:24 PM
It'll do, I guess.
Posted By: mick53 Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Mick, if you don’t post a long video of that monster running when you get it going, ALL of us are coming to your house for a live demo. BTW, you’re footing the fuel, food and lodging for all 41,000 of us!
nanner
My door is always open. When I get it done maybe we could meet at a vintage drag event and I'll let you drive it if you want to. I will be able to tailor the power output to the track with these strange things called a clutch and gas pedal. I want to be fully involved in the driving process. I know I could save a couple of tenths with an automatic and a two step but that's just not for me. To each their own.
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: alternator bracket - Tue Mar 02 2021 09:49 PM
I'll bring a lawn chair and cooler just say when!!!
Posted By: MNSmith Re: alternator bracket - Wed Mar 03 2021 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by bartamos
It'll do, I guess.

grin thumbs_up
Posted By: mick53 Re: alternator bracket - Thu Mar 04 2021 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by MNSmith
[quote=bartamos]It'll do, I guess.

The simpler the better. Nice job. A little polishing would help the aerodynamics on a molecular level.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: alternator bracket - Thu Mar 04 2021 07:43 PM
I'm kinda going the anti-polish route. Less work in the long run. Sticking with the "blast it and clear it" approach.
Posted By: fixite7 Re: alternator bracket - Fri Mar 05 2021 12:31 AM
MNSmith Did you plaz that?? Looks good-I never could do blue-prints and make patterns like that !!
Posted By: MNSmith Re: alternator bracket - Fri Mar 05 2021 05:44 AM
Plaz? Quick story is, I thought I found a bracket for a Denso alternator for my V6. It is going in a Model A so I didn't want it up high (blower) or hanging wide out the side. Drivers side engine had no bolt bosses for a bracket, just the passenger side. The bracket kit that showed up wasn't close at all. So, I could use part of their bracket but have to make my own stand-offs. I decided I could tuck the alternator up much higher and closer to the engine than their bracket allowed for. So I traced their bracket, dropped the mount holes by 1", making a shorter bracket. Traced it to some 1/2" aluminum plate. Cut most of it on a band saw, cleaned it up and made the slotted holes on a mill.

Attached picture bracket.jpg
Attached picture modela300.jpg
© The Stovebolt Forums