Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Quin 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Sun Feb 09 2020 04:55 PM
I have a 1937 Chevrolet pickup the rear spring shackles have pushed outward . How to I fix this?

Attached picture 2355A864-182B-433E-B3E5-977ADF57C1C9.jpeg
Looks like the bushings are worn out.
Are those original shackle plates? I have just finished my 37 and mine do not look like that. Also where are you located in Michigan? Bill
Posted By: Dusty Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Sun Feb 09 2020 11:23 PM
Pins and bushings are stuffed . Buy new ones . One of the vendors on this site will have them .
scroll all the way to the bottom for various 1937 spring/suspension parts.
It also appears the rear shackle has took a hit to me..........take the shackle loose, make sure the springs align with the front shackle in correlation with the rear housing mount as well. A new set of bushings and plates should complete the job......and be sure to check out the front hangers as well.
FYI Those aren’t original shackles. The OEM have a single bolt in between the two bushings. And no rubber. Original spring mount was riveted on.
Posted By: Quin Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Wed Feb 12 2020 03:39 PM
Yes I am in Michigan I know the bushings are wore out but if I change them it will not solve the problem of the springs pushed outside of the frame
Posted By: Quin Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Wed Feb 12 2020 03:42 PM
I know that I need new bushings and springs but that doesn’t fix the problem of the springs being pushed outside the frame
Posted By: Quin Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Wed Feb 12 2020 03:45 PM
The front is good both rears look the same it’s almost like the springs moved out on the axle an inch on both sides is that possible?
Posted By: Quin Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Wed Feb 12 2020 03:46 PM
The spring mount is riveted on
Posted By: Quin Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Wed Feb 12 2020 03:53 PM
The mount is bolted on so does the original one mount to outside the frame?
Here is a rear spring mount

Attached picture IMG_20180121_102358737.jpg
Posted By: Quin Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Sat Feb 15 2020 02:24 PM
Armada
Posted By: Quin Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Sat Feb 15 2020 02:31 PM
So obviously I have the wrong shackles if I was to purchase new ones this will not solve my problem here the springs are outside the frame an inch
Posted By: Joe H Re: 1937 Chevrolet pickup rear spring shackle problem - Sat Feb 15 2020 03:54 PM
Does the rear axle look original? Are both sides pushed out at the rear? If both are out, the axle mounting pads are to wide splaying the springs out at the rear. If it's only one side, then the locating pin on the leaf spring could be sheered off from some sort of damage, this will angle the spring out just as you have.

You should pull the axle loose from the spring to confirm no damage, then replace all the shackles and bushings. '37 spring bushings are made from a bronze alloy with a steel pin through them, you will need to keep them greased quite often. Also, don't over tighten the center shackle bolt either, just tight enough to not bend the plate is about right.

On a side note, when the springs are out, pull them apart and grind off any steps that may have been worn into them from use, and to help in the ride quality, add Poly-slide spring liner between each leaf.
I measured my spring. The outside of spring eye is outside the frame approximately 1/2".
© The Stovebolt Forums