Stovebolt.com
Posted By: John Milliman Marines!!! - Wed Nov 12 2008 01:04 AM
Fall in and count off!!

I am a 2nd generation Marine -- My grandfather served with the 4th Marine Brigade in France during the 1st World War (Belleau Wood and Chateau Thierry). I spent the bulk of my active duty time assigned to various units of the 3rd Marine Division (HQSVC Bn, Camp Foster, 9th MEB staff, 9th Marines @ K-Bay, III MEF staff). Other duties were as assigned (schools, IA to the EUCOM Staff for the Rwanda relief op, CO of the Ft. Benjamin Harrison MARDET)

I think I am the only CC/PAO on Stovebolt -- but I'd love to be wrong about that.

And a happy 240th to all my fellow Devil Dogs!
Semper Fi,

Skipper
Posted By: Napco Man Re: Marines!!! - Wed Nov 12 2008 02:40 PM
Semper Fi Skipper!

I am a 4th generation Marine; My great grandfather joined the Corps in 1896 and retired as a Colonel. My grandfather joined in 1925 and retired as a Brig Gen. My father joined in 1958 and retired as a Lt Col. I joined in 1982 and served 14 years as an enlisted Marine and 8 years as a Warrant Officer. I retired as a CWO3. All four generations were first-born sons and all had the same name. My oldest son is 16 and has the name, but I don't think he has any interest in the Corps. My youngest son just turned 11 on November 10th... the Marine Corps birthday! He might have some Jarhead in him.

Semper Fi, George
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Marines!!! - Wed Nov 12 2008 03:56 PM
I'm not a fourth "generation" guy but I am the FOURTH
(and youngest), of four brothers, to server in the USAF.
Posted By: Peggy M Re: Marines!!! - Thu Nov 13 2008 05:14 PM
Baldeagle sent us this piece earlier this year. They are called Marines.

Pretty neat site.

And MexicoSab had this one. It's the EGA formed by people. Very cool!

Peg
Posted By: DADZ59 Retired Gunny after 20 years - Sun Nov 23 2008 05:49 AM
Second generation Jarhead. 1st BN 4th MAR(29 Palms), 3rd Tanks(29 Palms), BSSG-1(K-Bay, HI.)(Desert Strom), 9th ESB(Oki,Jpn), 3rd Supply Bn(Oki, Jpn), CSSG-3(K-Bay, HI.), Echo Co. 2/23 MAR I&I duty.

I retired as a GUNNY after 20 years. I Would not change it for a fix truck.

Posted By: f18delta Re: Marines!!! - Fri Nov 09 2012 03:10 PM
1st and only Jarhead in my family. Had to do the hard thing to prove a lot of people wrong, myself included. Wouldn't change a thing! Got out after four as the Backbone of the Corps, a Corporal! grin grin

Went for culture shock after I got out when I joined the USAF ANG here in OKC. Saluted the Bird, got looked at funny and introduced to "Bob" the Colonel. Sheesh. big_eek

Was able to 'get even' with the rest of the squadron when a second Marine came in and we started to actually *sound off* when roll call came around. The guy that had to call roll both times during our weekends cringed when he got to our names. grin
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Fri Nov 15 2013 07:16 PM
Greetings Marines.
I've been perusing this site for awhile but just discovered this veterans forum. I posted a happy birthday thread in the greasy spoon and now see why it went without a reply. I thought surely theres some more jarheads slimeing around here grin

I'm a former active duty Marine airdale, 6071 GSE, "swing with the wing" and served 73-77.
Was based out of MCAS Cherry Point and MCAS Beaufort. Spent 13 long months at MCAS Futema w/HMA-369 & H&MS 32 on Oki and another 12 months on the USS FDR w/VMA-231, getting the AV8A sea worthy.
The Corps kept me on the move grin
Oh, and I was 1st Battalion at PISC.

Semper Fi
Dave

Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: Marines!!! - Tue Nov 11 2014 01:41 PM
USMCR 1969-1975
Trained in San Diego,CA
schooled at Coronado Island, CA.
Served in Orlando, FL.

Posted By: Harold46 Re: Marines!!! - Tue Nov 11 2014 02:10 PM
A great big thank you for serving our country.
Harold
Posted By: David13 Re: Marines!!! - Mon Dec 01 2014 09:35 PM
Semper Fi Devil Dogs. I think it's fun to hear everyone else say they were in the military, but we Marines say we still are Marines.
Posted By: Ladyknieval Re: Marines!!! - Wed Dec 03 2014 03:35 PM
Former Woman Marine, active 1992-1996,
GMED 29 Palms
OORAH!
Posted By: f18delta Re: Marines!!! - Tue Jan 06 2015 08:46 PM
Just posted over in the Army thread too, so figured I'd go ahead and put us back on top grin

Sent the daughter off to Army boot camp yesterday. I think she'll do well and really hope that she brings attitude once to see how easy she had it with me grin grin
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Marines!!! - Sun Nov 08 2015 02:54 AM
1st Generation Marine.

Sept 1978 until they kicked me out on 30 Nov/1 Dec 2008.

I started out as a 2141/2145 M60A1 RISE Tank Mech, went to Turret School and became MOS 2146.

Got lucky and moved to the Light Armored Vehicle MOS 2147 in 1983.

Selected to SSgt on the 1985 Board, pinned on 1 Oct 1986 in the morning. Became a Warrant Officer Select that afternoon.

Retired an MOS 2110 CWO-5

Served Mostly at Camp Pendleton. Other Tours included Marine Barracks, Gitmo Cuba in 1980/81; MCLB Barstow, CA 81-82; UDP to Oki 92 and 94; quick trip to Bahrain/Persian Gulf/Qatar ect in 95; Camp Fuji Japan 02-03. I served in Tank, LAV, Artillery, Base and FSSG units.

After retiring in 2008, I got lucky and got hired as a DOD Police Officer at Camp Pendleton... re-retired (quit/resigned) in 2015.
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Wed Nov 25 2015 03:26 PM
Knew a few WO's in the wing, some of the most squared away Marines I ever met.
My OIC in Oki (HMA-369) was a Mustang, hard to get over on him as well as you WO's as you've all been there done that grin

Dave

Posted By: Jon D. Re: Marines!!! - Thu Nov 26 2015 03:54 PM
My father, brother & I are U.S. Marines. My Brother and I served in the early-mid 1980's. My Dad served in the late 50's- early 60's, old school, 2nd Recon, Tough S.O.B. I turned wrenches as a Helicopter structure mech. CH53E. After a year of schooling primarily on the west coast I was stationed on the East coast, HMH 464 New River N.C. Still enjoy turning a wrench although now on older trucks. I've got the Red White and Blue flying high on the Farm ...
Semper Fi
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Marines!!! - Fri Nov 27 2015 02:19 AM
Semper Fi, Jon and welcome to Stovebolt.com! The Mighty Condors! If you made the 24th MAB deployment to Beirut, then I bet we know a few of the same people.
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Marines!!! - Tue Dec 06 2016 01:19 AM
Tank, LAV and AAV Maintenance, with a little Arty, Armory, MT, Engineers, Comm and IT on the side.
Posted By: Dachshund Re: Marines!!! - Sun Feb 05 2017 03:36 AM
USMC 1980-1988. Bad knees, bad back, bad shoulders, etc, sent me home! Worked on CH-53 Helicopters (among others). Got out a SSGT.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Marines!!! - Tue Feb 07 2017 01:07 AM
Semper Fi, Dachshund! Which squadrons?
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Mon Mar 13 2017 03:04 PM
Marine aviation has been quietly getting some upgrades to several of it's helicopter platforms and while many questioned why they decided not to go a similar route the Army, AF and Navy went with their attack and utility helo's, i.e the Apache for attack and Blackhawk/Seahawk for utility, it looks like the Marines have still ended up with very capable and similar airframes to operate in their unique mission of projecting power from the sea.

Back in my day we flew the AH-1J Cobra and the UH-1N Huey and we operated in separate squadrons.
The Cobra was upgraded after my time to the AH-!W Super Cobra but the AH-1N stayed pretty constant to it's earlier upgrade.
The separate squadrons HMA's and HML's were combined into single HMLA squadrons as both tactics and logistics changed.

Now the new variants of the venerable old Cobra and Huey are being deployed and their upgrades are so extensive that they even carry new names.
The AH-1W (whiskey) Super Cobra is now the AH-1Z Viper and the UH-1N Huey is now the UH-1Y Venom.
Their capabilities put them on par with the other services helo's and more importantly their serviceability was improved with their commonality of major parts.
exp:
The goal of the USMC H-1 Upgrades Program is to achieve a platform that meets the growing needs of the Marine Corps. The 4BW and 4BN will be an upgraded version of the current AH-1W and UH-1N Helicopters. The 4BW and 4BN will share a common engine, Auxiliary Power Unit, four-bladed main and tail rotor system, transmission, drive train, and tail boom. The purpose of these modifications is to achieve commonality in both aircraft, thereby reducing logistical support, maintenance workload, and training requirements. The replacement of the two bladed rotor system with a common four bladed rotor system will achieve improved performance, reliability, and maintainability. The addition of an infrared suppresser to the aircraft will improve survivability. The 4BW will also include a newly developed cockpit, which will result in nearly identical front and rear cockpits that simplify operator and maintainer training and maintenance.

Back when I was with HMA 369 we were flying the AH-1J's and our CO at the time Maj Hugh Mitchell wanted us maintainers to get in some seat time too, even got in a little live fire (off the record of course). Spread the love if you will. Those Cobra's were pretty bad azzed back in the day and I can only imagine how more effective they are now.

UH-1Y Venom
AH-1Z Viper

Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Fri Mar 09 2018 11:28 PM
Marines' New King Stallion Lifts 36,000 Pounds in Test.
Article
snip:
The Marines' future heavy-lift helicopter just got more formidable.
In a recent test, the CH-53K King Stallion lifted an external load of 36,000 pounds into a hover, then continued into flight, manufacturer Lockheed Martin Corp. announced this week.
The King Stallion is set to replace aging CH-53E Super Stallions, with initial operational capability likely to happen in 2020. Ahead of then, the Marine Corps is already buying the new aircraft in greater quantities each year. The service's fiscal 2019 budget request included funds for eight more King Stallions.

Prior to the recent lift test, the King Stallion had successfully lifted up to 27,00 pounds, with one load including a joint light tactical vehicle, the 14,000 Humvee replacement for the Army and Marine Corps. That load already represented an increase over the capacity of the Super Stallion

If you scroll down in the link and watch the video you'll see the lift hook remotely release the load after it lands the load. Thats one heck of a releasable hook.......

https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/20...ng-stallion-lifts-36000-pounds-test.html
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Fri Mar 09 2018 11:37 PM
Marine F-35Bs Arrive on USS Wasp for First Shipboard Deployment
Article
snip:
The F-35B Joint Strike Fighter is deploying for the first time aboard a U.S. Navy ship, marking a historic milestone for the Pentagon's most lethal jet as the Marine-variant enters operational exercises in the Pacific.

The short takeoff/vertical landing F-35s from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 on Monday arrived on the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp for patrols in the region, according to an announcement from the Navy's 7th Fleet.
The stealth jet's arrival also marks the start of the F-35's first deployment a Marine expeditionary unit. The squadron will sail the Pacific aboard the ships of the Okinawa-based 31st MEU this spring.
"Pairing F-35B Lightning II [aircraft] with the Wasp represents one of the most significant leaps in warfighting capability for the Navy-Marine Corps team in our lifetime," Rear Adm. Brad Cooper, commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 7, said in a statement. "This 5th-generation stealth jet is extremely versatile, and will greatly enhance and expand our operational capabilities."

Way back in 74 we, VMA231, deployed our fairly new AV8A's on board the USS FDR for the Harriers 1st deployment on a USA war ship. We deployed with F4's, A6's & A7's. All of which, including the FDR have since been scrapped. Talk about getting old LOL....

Posted By: Dusty53 Re: Marines!!! - Sun Mar 11 2018 08:02 PM
Awesome, we supported VMA-231 at MCAS Cherry Point in 1972-73 and again late 74' , was with H&MS 20 , MOS 6639 until out in May 1975. I miss Aviation.
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Tue Mar 13 2018 08:08 PM
I was in and out of MCAS CPNC many times. 1st w/H&MS 32 then H&MS 20 both in the GSE shops, MOS 6072. Whenever TAD orders came up I'd take them. I didn't care as long as I got a way from Havelock NC LOL. Funny looking back it was a pretty good duty station but you know how it was being young and dumb.... With VMA 231 I was TAD to the Rosie's AIMD GSE shop. There was 4 of us in the squid shop, living the skaters life LOL..... When we returned to Cherry Point I was still technically assigned to 231 but was TAD to H&MS 20 where I finished my tour a couple months later in 77.

I know what you mean about missing aviation.
Posted By: Dusty53 Re: Marines!!! - Wed Mar 14 2018 12:27 AM
Volfandt - you are right about the young and dumb, luckily we survived our trips to Havelock and Morehead City. After reading your post I seen that I'd made a typo on my original post. I worked in the Avionics shop at H&MS-20 both times I was at Cherry Point. It was great duty and I much preferred it over Futenma, Okinawa. So, Semper Fi, fellow Marine!
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Wed Mar 14 2018 07:39 PM
Ronnie, when were you at MCAS Futema? I was with H&MS 36 GSE in 74 and HMA 369 GSE (1 man shop) in 75. I had a Honda 450 motorcycle and cruised all over the little island. Made the 13 months tolerable LOL

Dave
Posted By: Dusty53 Re: Marines!!! - Thu Mar 15 2018 12:43 AM
Dave, I was at MCAS Futenma from September 73 to September 74 with a month or so at Subic Bay during that time. I was also with H&MS 36, worked in Air Conditioned white Trailers doing board level repair on Avionics equipment. Man were there people there that did not like us and our "tough jobs", lol. Anyway, I went from Okinawa right back to Cherry Point and was discharged in May 75. Our paths have probably crossed at some point. Small world, huh! Hey, glad to see you on this sight.

Ronnie
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Thu Mar 15 2018 12:45 PM
Yeah, we had to have crossed paths at some point. I had a bunch of "tweet" friends. IIRC where ever I went your shops were always in those air conditioned trailers.
Those of us that were in the the different AIMD shops on the Rosey got pretty tight, wasn't unusual for GSE, Avionics and Ordnance to hang out together in the various "Vill's" we invaded LOL.... We even organized a football team and played other divisions, including the MarDet which was usually the most physical game LOL. They didn't have much use for us airdales..
Once we had one heck of a combined party in Naples, I've got some good stories from that adventure LOL...
Funny story at the H&MS 20 GSE shop, whenever one of you Avionics boys would screw up they'd send you over to the GSE shop and we'd put you in a 20'x20' tent and have you sandblast & paint yellow gear. Tugs, generators, test stands, tow bars etc. As punishment to those of us that screwed up we'd have to supervise you. Needless say I got that duty a few times LOL. Most of you all actually enjoyed it. The yellow gear at MAG 20 was some of the best maintained in the entire air wing LOL.
About 10 or so yrs ago I met up with a couple airdales that I "may" have met and crossed paths with at MCAS New River and got to tour the then new V-22 Osprey at an open house. One was a Mustang and new Osprey pilot who got us some behind the scenes touring. The V-22's had just hit the fleet. We didn't get to go up but did get to fly in the simulator. I was impressed with it but would have hated being a bubble chaser on one, they have hydraulic hoses going everywhere, in places where a hand can't get too.... Looked like most of the avionics were in a somewhat easy to get at location in an enclosure behind the pilot with the exception of the cockpits which were as cramped as anything I've ever sat in. I barely fit LOL.
Good to see you here also.

Dave
Posted By: Volfandt Re: Marines!!! - Mon Apr 16 2018 12:57 PM
R. Lee Ermey, a former Marine Corps drill instructor known to millions of moviegoers as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," died Sunday morning, according to his longtime manager. He was 74.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Bill Rogin said Ermey had died due to complications from pneumonia.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...et-actor-r-lee-ermey-dies-at-age-74.html

I just missed meeting him during an open house at the Aviation museum at the Sevierville airport about 10 yrs ago.
He talked the talk and walked the walk.
RIP R. Lee Ermey
S/F
Dave
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Marines!!! - Mon Apr 16 2018 01:08 PM
He was an entertaining fellow for sure. RIP Gunny.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Marines!!! - Mon Apr 16 2018 01:12 PM
RIP - he will be remembered by film buffs (and, Marines) forever

https://cdn.movieweb.com/img.news.tops/NEtOO4y0Ob9YwB_1_b/R-Lee-Ermey-Dies-74-Years-Old.jpg

"Basically, a silver-haired judge, a kindly old judge, looked down at me and said, This is the second time I've seen you up here and it looks like we're going to have to do something about this. He gave me a choice. He said I could either go into the military - any branch I wanted to go to - or he was going to send me where the sun never shines. And I love sunshine, I don't know about you."

At the age of 17, R. Lee Ermey joined the United States Marine Corps and went through training in San Diego, California in 1961.

He served 14 months in Viet Nam
Posted By: Dusty53 Re: Marines!!! - Tue Apr 17 2018 12:56 AM
Yeah, read that today. 71 years old seems way to young to me. It was "familiar" watching him as a Drill Instructor in Full Metal Jacket. Guess he bought some of his real Drill Instructor experience to the movie it seems. Enjoyed him acting in movies, he is another "character" that will be missed. Semper Fi, Gunny!
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Marines!!! - Sat May 12 2018 07:08 PM
I was at the Colorado State Marine Corps League convention. As always, conversation rolled back to boot camp. The feller sitting next to me said, I was a DI from 77-79, I was in boot camp in 78. He was my series Gunny. He had a couple of good stories about my Sr. DI too.
Posted By: shade tree Re: Marines!!! - Tue Jun 05 2018 02:35 AM
inlisted oct 69 just before staging for nam got sent back to mcrd san deigo for sea school then mar det midway great duty in and out of subic bay, japan hong kong .... 0311 groung pounder.... discharged dec 72
Posted By: shade tree Re: Marines!!! - Fri Jul 20 2018 01:05 AM
69 -72 0311 after boot camp i kinda enjoyed it how soon we forget got out on disabilty retirement dont regret it
Posted By: WMDischar Re: Marines!!! - Thu Aug 23 2018 11:15 PM
First thing to say is ooorraah brothers. I was the 1st Marine in my family. My grand son just got back from Africa, he became a Marine 50 years after I did. I served on the USS Ranger Cva 61. Was at Camp Pendleton, on the Ranger in Tonkin Gulf, Viet Nam, Last duty station Sergeant of the guard, Marine barracks Portsmouth, Va. Look forward to visits with you jarheads.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Marines!!! - Tue Aug 28 2018 04:29 AM
Here is to those that serve and served.
Second verse of the Star Spangled Banner sung by an ex Marine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliDBEQed1U

Thanks
Don
Posted By: WMDischar Re: Marines!!! - Tue Sep 04 2018 04:58 PM
John Milliman, Its more than a coincidence I guess but how is it the we are both Marines and I have friends in Mechanicsville, MD they are the Baileys. I wondered if you knew them?
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Marines!!! - Tue Sep 04 2018 08:16 PM
That *is* sort of a big family ... wink ... Conversations like this are probably best conducted via PM, though chug
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Marines!!! - Mon Mar 11 2019 05:27 PM
Quote for the day:

"A Marine should be sworn to the patient endurance of hardships, like the ancient knights; and it is not the least of these necessary hardships to have to serve with sailors."
-- unknown (to me, anyway)

Let me add to the end: "and Navy civilians."
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Marines!!! - Wed Mar 13 2019 02:59 AM
I sir. I will walk my post from flank to flank, and take no guff from any rank.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Marines!!! - Wed Mar 13 2019 04:01 PM
Speaking of ... Do the tuna boats still have DDEC 6V-53's in them or have they been upgraded to something else?
© The Stovebolt Forums