Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Trevor J 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Wed Jul 08 2020 07:16 PM
I recently picked up my first "restoration" project. It's a Canadian Model 1314, 1950, 1/2 ton, stepside pickup. Looked to be a pretty complete truck when I went to see it. Factory Red with white stripe, no heater (from factory), Grey interior, maroon door panels and seat. It was purchased at McKenzie Motors in Alberta, Canada. It made it's way to Saskatchewan at some point, and I picked it up outside Kindersley, SK. The factory 216 is in the truck, it was seized when I bought it.

Now that I have it home in the garage and started to tear into it, there is a little more rust than expected! And the engine was the reason it was parked.

I have stripped the interior, and will be doing some rust repairs on the floor. I have the engine all ready to come out of the truck, and have started to look for a replacement. Hoping to keep an inliner in it! If you know of one in the Saskatoon region, let me know.

Looking forward to getting this truck back on the road, and doing truck things. Won't be a show truck, but will be great to get it driving again.

[img]https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPiZU4z[/img]
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Wed Jul 08 2020 10:24 PM
Welcome. You do not have to link photos. Instructions are in the left margin of every page.
Posted By: 2ManyTrucks Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Thu Jul 09 2020 04:26 AM
Hi Trevor, your original engine should be rebuildable with local parts
Napa may surprise you with what they stock locally
I picked up a new brass carb float for my 53 last month
It was in stock in Saskatoon, no shipping or waiting.
And they also had the brake masters and slaves for my 1ton a couple years ago.

For a whole engine go see Amigos in Clavet, they have many to pick from.

And one last note, your Canadian truck will have a few random differences from its USA counterparts so consider than before blindly following most specifications and advice you get online and here, all your tiny parts will have been made in Canada not the USA.
Sometimes they had quite different bits.
-Stan
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Thu Jul 09 2020 07:01 PM
Hi Stan!

Thanks for the reply, and the tips. Unfortunately I think the 216 needs babbitts. Best I have been able to figure. Thanes was the last shop that did it around here (and they haven't had the tooling for 15 years).

I'll give Amigos a shout.

Yes, I have noticed the Canadian truck has a few differences!

I removed the passenger side windscreen yesterday evening to see how bad the rust is on the support. It's bad, the top of the window (where the roof panel, and support should be joined), I was hoping that wasn't the case! I'll have to hone my welding a bit more for that job.

Thanks for the tip on the photos. I've added them to this post.

Attached picture 20200628_124021.jpg
Attached picture 20200628_125731.jpg
Attached picture 20200628_130119.jpg
Attached picture 20200628_131956.jpg
Attached picture 20200703_222957.jpg
Attached picture 20200703_223020.jpg
Attached picture 20200703_223050.jpg
Posted By: J Lucas Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Fri Jul 10 2020 01:04 AM
Hello Trevor, the half tons are getting tough to find. thumbs_up It's on my bucket list to one day drive an old Chevy truck on a long road trip and stop in for a beer in Saskatoon.

Welcome to the Stovebolt.

John
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Sat Jul 11 2020 05:19 AM
Spent a little more time in the shop the past few days! I have the engine ready to come out, just need to rent an engine hoist to get it out.
I have stripped the interior out (the mouse nests were next level!).
While waiting on the to come out, I decided to do some rust conversion painting in the cab. Did the floor, behind the gas tank, underside of the roof. The interior will likely all get painted, at some point.
While doing the interior stripping and painting, I started to look at the front roof panel support a bit closer (it was/is by far the worst spot of rust on the truck, next being the passenger side floor). Found another mouse home, cleaned it out, and watched the "metal" disappear into the vaccuum! It's bad.
Anyone replace one of these, and have some pointers? I am considering buying the patch panel from LMC (or similar), and removing the spot welds from the pillars, and along the section the supports the window. BUT, the center section of the section that supports the window is also missing (as in rusted away). Drivers side is the same way, I don't have a picture of it on my computer. Not sure about how best to repair the window section, again, considering putting the support in first, and then making the patch for the roof/windows. It looks as though the windshield pillars were replaced at some point, there is some "lead" filler visible on the left hand side of the photo. Top and bottom of the pillar. Drivers and passenger.
So for a project that I could complete, rather than another one leading to more work, I got the doors to close properly. It's the small victories right?

Attached picture 20200708_224649.jpg
Posted By: truckernix Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Sat Jul 11 2020 12:36 PM
Welcome to the Stovebolt. These old trucks can be a lot of fun to work on. You can buy brand new brake drums for the half ton if you wanted. That is something that is not possible for me and my 1 Ton so you are lucky! We look forward to seeing and hearing about your journey as you go along.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 13 2020 04:35 AM
More updates!
Engine is out. That's something I don't want to do alone again... eek
Bed is off.
Now I can get a good idea of what I need to repair the bed. Shock perches need replacing, they are both broken off. Easier to work on the brakes now too.
Contacted someone about doing some body work for me. I'm not sure I have the skills to repair around the windows.
Getting the hood off, and bed off alone was a chore. Going back on I'll need to call in some help for sure. chug
Started at the brakes. Master cylinder came off, but is all seized. Rear wheel cylinders had to come off to get the drums off. The lip on the rear drums is near a 1/4".
I haven't had any luck tracking down an engine yet, but will put that on hold while I get the body sorted. Amigos said they didn't have any?
The flywheel has seen some heat in it's day.
Bellhousing looks okay! Needs a cleaning. The mice had a nest in the bellhousing, and then there was a bee hive, so it was extra crusty in there.

More pictures.

Attached picture 20200712_210621.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210634.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210552.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210544.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210531.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210234.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210218.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210209.jpg
Attached picture 20200712_210156.jpg
Posted By: klhansen Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 13 2020 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Trevor J
I am considering buying the patch panel from LMC (or similar), and removing the spot welds from the pillars, and along the section the supports the window. BUT, the center section of the section that supports the window is also missing (as in rusted away). Drivers side is the same way, I don't have a picture of it on my computer. Not sure about how best to repair the window section, again, considering putting the support in first, and then making the patch for the roof/windows. It looks as though the windshield pillars were replaced at some point, there is some "lead" filler visible on the left hand side of the photo. Top and bottom of the pillar. Drivers and passenger.
Welcome to the forums. Lots of help available here on Stovebolt.
That lead you're seeing is from the factory. That was used back in the day instead of fiberglass filler.
Your cab doesn't look that bad. There are a lot of posts with advice over on the paint and body forum.

Good luck with your project.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 13 2020 02:39 PM
Thanks, Kevin!
Ah, I wasn't sure if it was something that was done at the factory or not.
I'll check out the paint and body forum. There sure is a lot of good information on this site to read!
Posted By: J Lucas Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 13 2020 10:36 PM
Looks like your kicking butt. thumbs_up The hood looks to be in really nice shape.

John
Posted By: Frank50 Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Tue Jul 14 2020 03:01 PM
Congrats for finding a great old truck! And welcome to the Madness. Enjoy.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Wed Jul 15 2020 07:37 PM
Thank you for all the welcomes!
Spent the last few evenings sorting out the garage, there are a lot of parts in a truck! They seem to take up a lot of space when not in their original location too.
I'm back around to the interior, working on getting the last of the mouse remnants out of the seats. Stripped the original covers off the seats (maroon), the horse hair also got ditched.
Unfortunately the wire strung through the burlap was not salvageable. What's anyone done to replace it?
The seat frame is in pretty good shape, the springs are all there, none of them are broken. The wire around the top perimeter is broken, I will likely try and braze that back together. The support that goes from the edges to the side, is also broken (and partially missing) and will get replaced.
The sliding mechanism was in pretty good condition, two stuck pulleys, that I was able to free. The cables disintegrated where the mouse nests had been sitting on them, but should be easy enough to re-thread, once I find some suitable steel cable/rope.
I'm thinking of trying to order up one of the seat cover kits from Jim Carter.
As for the body work, I have a guy who does body work lined up to come over and give me some direction as to how best approach the repairs.
I am still searching for either a shop that does babbit work, or another engine (235/261). If anyone has a line on one, let me know. I'm in Saskatchewan.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Sat Jul 18 2020 03:54 PM
Spent a few evenings in the shop chipping away at the truck.
Have the pistons out of the block, and what do you know? It wasn't a bad bearing or babbit that was preventing this old engine from running! All the lifters are froze in place from rust. So Good news, bad news? Ha.
I'll be calling around to see if there is a shop in town that has done insert bearing conversions for the connecting rods, and see if I can get this old 216 running again!
I also worked on the seats this week, getting the slides to function once again. Evaporust for all the small parts, fresh paint, and mostly reassembled. Have to get some more steel cable/rope to finish it up. I'm also missing some nuts/washers/lockwashers to re-install back in the truck, but I have some time before the cab is ready for the seat...
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 20 2020 08:39 PM
Looking for some advice on engines. I would like to keep a straight six in the truck. The 216 needs rebuilding. I have found a 235, a 261 out of a '62 pontiac car that needs rebuilding, or a machined 261 in boxes. Should I consider replacing the 216, or stick with it seeing how all my current options need a date with a machine shop?
Posted By: tclederman Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 20 2020 08:55 PM
Trevor,

There is some engine-swap information in the Tech Tips.

The main adaptations/changes might be the front motor mount and the relocation of the an old-style water pump (and, maybe the harmonic balancer). You might have to be “creative” in attaching the accelerator and choke cables.

If the 216 runs, you might want to keep it in the truck.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 20 2020 09:06 PM
Hi Tim!

Thank you for the response. The 216 does not run. It's seized up tight.

I will continue reading the tech tips provided!
Posted By: tclederman Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Mon Jul 20 2020 10:17 PM
The 54/55st truck 235/261 would not need adaptation.

If you can find a good 261, it is noticeably stronger than a 235.

Note that many/most car 235s have hydraulic lifters. This is not a “problem”, just something to be aware of (when doing a tune-up).

Good luck, Trevor

Keep asking questions.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Sat Aug 01 2020 03:21 PM
Haven't spent much time working on the truck the past bit.
I have the engine out, and apart. Only the lifters and cam are left in the block (the lifters are seized). Contemplating taking it to a machine shop to have them clean it up, and assess to see if it would be a candidate for a rebuild.
The flywheel is toast, any idea where a person could source another one?
Also, check out that front axle! I guess one of the previous owners wanted a "heavy duty" option...

Attached picture 20200712_210552.jpg
Attached picture 20200713_192426.jpg
Attached picture 20200713_192445.jpg
Attached picture 20200726_185428.jpg
Attached picture 20200726_185437.jpg
Attached picture 20200726_185453.jpg
Posted By: truckernix Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Sun Aug 02 2020 12:50 AM
You have the Canadian 216 with the short side cover. If you have a crack in the head, those heads are hard to find. So that may be something to think about. I have the same motor and it took me several years to find a replacement head.

I think you have a good old truck there. You can buy a lot more of the running gear for the 1/2 ton than you can for the 1 Ton so that is a good thing.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Tue Aug 11 2020 04:08 AM
Dropped the engine off at the machine shop for a cleaning, and inspection. Interested to see what they will find. Sure is easier to wrangle the block with two people out the back of the XC70!
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Tue Sep 08 2020 01:19 AM
Little update.
I haven't heard back from the machine shop about the engine, but have been picking away at cleaning up the bellhousing, getting parts lined up for the starter rebuild, new clutch and pressure plate, I decided I should pull the SM318 and give it a quick once over... When I pulled the fill plug (I always do that first now ...) I found some gray paste. I then pulled the drain plug, and there were lots of chunks under all the gray paste. The oil is shimmering to say the least...

I also found the bellhousing has a bit of a storied past.

Anyhow, I think with the each of the new discoveries I encounter, it is making the decision to swap a sbc, and a Turbo 350 (or similar) into this much easier. Thinking of using a Ford 8.8 rear end. Maybe. Maybe not. I have a line on one built to spec for what I want for $4k, based off a Ford 9".

Attached picture 20200906_211909.jpg
Attached picture 20200906_211923.jpg
Attached picture 20200907_185831.jpg
Attached picture 20200906_211930.jpg
Attached picture 20200906_211943.jpg
Attached picture 20200907_185435.jpg
Attached picture 20200907_185534.jpg
Posted By: glenns towing Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Tue Sep 08 2020 01:39 AM
i have another bellhosing with no repairs for ya if you go that route. Pm me if you want to move forward.
Posted By: Frank50 Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Tue Sep 08 2020 11:02 PM
truckernix, looking at the image of the engine I do not think it has the short side cover.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Wed Sep 09 2020 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by Frank50
truckernix, looking at the image of the engine I do not think it has the short side cover.

It does not have the short side cover. 216. 2 bolt valve cover. Canadian.
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Wed Sep 09 2020 04:08 AM
Update from the Machine shop!

Block is free of cracks. Cylinders need to be bored out to .30 over to clean up the out of round, and some scoring. Deck needs to be cleaned up, 10 thou. Crank is bent, but can be fixed, out about 20 thou (i think). They are on the hunt for parts, will be going to insert bearings.

Not sure the state of the head. They hadn't quite finished with it when I was speaking with them.

The flywheel they thought would clean right up. They didn't mention it today either, which usually means it's fine.

I dropped the gearbox off at a transmission / driveshaft shop today. They did a few of them this summer, and think they can get all the pieces they need to bring it around.

I have started cleaning up the starter, it's in pretty good condition. Once I get all the oil/grease off it should work fine. The brushes are slightly worn. I may order a rebuild kit for it, because it's apart.

I also have order some of the body parts that I have been putting off. The support behind the windshield in particular, I am not looking forward to taking on. The entire upper pinch weld (where the window seal would go) is missing, and I am going to attempt to rebuild. Looking at getting an everlast dual voltage mig welder for the task.

I'll keep you all updated on here when I hear more. Most of the shops are running a few weeks behind. Seems like everyone has had extra time to work on their projects this summer...
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Sat Sep 12 2020 05:05 AM
Gearbox is rebuild able! The reverse gear has some chunks missing, and has been rubbing on the case. They happen to have a reverse gear, and everything else at the shop. Will only cost me about $1200 cdn pesos to have it repaired...

On the hunt for a newer 3spd, 4spd (Saginaw maybe), and s10 t5. As well as a solid axle about 60" wide (axle flange to axle flange). Geared in the 3.73, 3.55, 3.41 range. Specifically ford 8.8, 9 and chev 12 bolt. AMIGOS should have something suitable, they are looking. The rocket shop near melfort has a couple of gearboxes that would work with an open driveline as well (3spd out if an Iraqi taxi, t5 out of an s10, and a turbo 350 if I go v8).
Posted By: Trevor J Re: 1950 Chevy Model 1314 - Sat Oct 24 2020 01:20 AM
Committed to the 216 today! Machine shop was able to source all the needed parts. So I plan to do a restoration. Nice when a plan starts to come together!
© The Stovebolt Forums