Stovebolt.com

41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS)

Posted By: VEW

41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) - Fri Jul 28 2017 08:19 PM

41 ¾ ton Project
Short version:

Thanks to John and Peggy for starting this wonderful site and to all the administrative staff and Moderators for making this a beautiful place. I don’t post much, but I’m always on the site absorbing information that enables me to work on my truck.

Started working to get my 41 back on the road a couple years ago. I got inspired when I attended Homecoming in April, and decided to make more of an effort. I set a goal and made a plan. The goal was RMS (Run Move Stop) on it’s own by the end of June.

The 41 had the engine (350) and transmission (700r4) sitting in it, but nothing connected, and I did have a one -piece driveshaft made. That was my starting point-at that time. Ahead of me was body work, electrical, transmission shifter, brakes, exhaust, etc.---all of the “while you’re at it’s” that usually involve more time than you ever plan on.
Well, since this is the short version, I didn’t make it by the end of June. But I did make it by July 25th! Now I’m going to step back and take a break. (See if my wife still loves me??)

The next goal will be to make it road worthy. Plans are for an 8’ bed (needs work, of course); I have one from an 65 Jeep (J20) that is the same style as the Art Deco. Also thinking about duallys. I have the wheels just need to work out the differential, brakes, etc.

But it’s nice to know I can go out there, hook up the battery and move it around to whenever I need to.

Thanks to everyone on this site who are so generous with your time and wealth of information. I couldn’t have done it without you!

Here are some pics with a vid at the end:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uE0fmJJixecwdWQv1

Sorry about the earlier link issue. Learning curve moving to Google. This should work.
Posted By: J Lucas

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) - Sat Aug 26 2017 05:44 AM

Looking good Victor. I too have a '41 that has been waiting for some attention. I am working on a couple of '59 Apaches first. If all goes well my '59 LB will be RMS ready tomorrow. Makes a big difference when you can actually move them around under their own power. Thanks for sharing the pics.

John

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) - Sat Aug 26 2017 09:00 PM

Thanks John. Your trucks look really good and clean. Your 41 looks extremely complete. Do you have the windshield regulator in it?
Posted By: J Lucas

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) - Mon Aug 28 2017 12:00 AM

Yes, it is still in the truck. Just not sure what shape it is in.

John

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) and...Drive? - Sun Apr 14 2019 01:22 PM

I know it's been a while, but I have been working on the 41. Had to take some time away from it last year due to change of priorities. But, I've been back at it with the goal of taking it for a test drive on the road. I'm almost there. I had to change out the steering box (thanks Jim!), re-clock the pitman arm, and locate and adjustable drag link. It's all working good now - - at least driving it in the back yard. Brakes seem to be working good but I want to get my parking brakes working before taking it out - - - just in case.

The bed will come off of it and I'll be picking up one from a 58 at Homecoming (thanks Don and Tim!). Still some work to do, but here's a pic. Thanks to all!

Attached picture 41 Almost ready.jpg
Posted By: Rich'sToys

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) and...Drive? - Mon Apr 15 2019 03:41 AM

Looks like it's coming along pretty well.
Posted By: Rusty Rod

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) and...Drive? - Mon Apr 15 2019 02:59 PM

I like the RMS plan. I might change it to Run, Stop, Move tho.
Posted By: Bill Marlow

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) and...Drive? - Tue Apr 16 2019 01:18 PM

Looking good Victor!. See you next week!

Re: 41 3/4 ton - Run Move Stop (RMS) and...Drive? - Tue Apr 16 2019 07:53 PM

Thanks Billy. Looking forward to it...as always!
© 2019 The Stovebolt Forums