Stovebolt.com
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Fri Feb 28 2014 05:39 AM
Hi all! I'd like to say, first of all, this is the best website around for resources on the greatest American trucks ever made!

I'd also like to begin by posting (work permitting) a video/photos every weekend of the simple restoration of my 1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Truck.

A little bit about myself:

My name is Rafael, I grew up in CA and since I was a young kid I always wanted a classic truck.. and what better than a 1954-1955 1st series truck!? I finished my B.S. in Engineering and have been very fortunate enough (thank God!) to receive a great job in order to support my passion, owning/restoring the truck of my dreams! Before I blab on, I just want to say any input and help is always welcomed and I can't wait to get started on my project!

I am excited to post my progress, and more importantly, learn from everyone on here who has much more experience than I do. grin

So as I post along, join me and (please do) help me along as I try to restore my truck to its originality as best as possible!

"Dean" my 1954 Chevrolet 3100
Posted By: packhorse32 Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sat Mar 01 2014 04:19 AM
That truck looks fantastic just as it is. What are your plans? What is there to fix?
Posted By: tclederman Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sat Mar 01 2014 04:46 AM
You truck looks real nice, Rafael.

You say "help me along as I try to restore my truck to its originality as best as possible!"

Do you intend to make changes back to original appearances? There is nothing wrong with that desire, but why?
Posted By: Rich'sToys Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sat Mar 01 2014 05:59 AM
It sure looks nice to me.
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sat Mar 01 2014 06:46 PM
I want to do more of a restomod, considering I'd love to drive the truck more often around town. But considering today's society, he needs to be upgraded just a bit. Nothing major. The paint job looks pretty nice from afar, but it was just a quick spray over the original paint (inside and out).

I've bought quite a bit, including some original plates from 1954 wink

I want to upgrade the front drums to disc. I have lap belts, but I might switch to three point (I don't want to eat any horn at the ripe age of 24). Maybe power steering for the younger brother to learn and the gal to have an easier time driving.

Other than that, bone stock! I don't want to make this truck a sleeper.. Some guys like it, but... It's a truck! I like to cruise. By the way, I'll be posting a video today along with some photos, so be on the look out! grin
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sat Mar 01 2014 07:36 PM
Here you go everyone! Week 1 photos and a video.

Week 1 Photos

Week 1 Video
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sun Mar 02 2014 01:41 AM
I have to ask, can the stock 16" wheels be used with disc brakes? Or is there any way I can modify the wheels so the calipers can fit?
Posted By: 54John3100 Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sun Mar 02 2014 07:24 PM
Gotta say, that body and paint is smoking. I would love to go black on mine with the chrome grille.
Nice truck.

John
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Mon Mar 03 2014 03:14 PM
Thank you John, read your post and story. Hope the project with your son is coming along well. Really nice patina! thumbs_up
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Mon Mar 03 2014 03:19 PM
So the original paint color for the truck is forrester green, although this will be a longshot (long time from now before it gets done) I was thinking of restoring the truck to its correct color. What do you guys think?

1954 5 Window 3100 - Green Machine!
Posted By: tclederman Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Mon Mar 03 2014 03:28 PM
Rafael,

Forester Green was the standard color from 47-52. Juniper Green was the standard color for 53-55st.

Are really going to change what you now have? It does look nice. If you are going to change to an original exterior/body color, will you be changing other colors to original colors? That would be a lot of work.
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Mon Mar 03 2014 11:15 PM
I see, thank you for the correction, learn something new everyday. smile I plan on keeping it this way for a while, until all the electronics work perfectly and until $$$ comes in, but yes, I would love to repaint it. Evevn if I repaint it black. The paint job now is decent, but its not great :/ in the compartment, but for now, I can live with it, because I have no intention on selling the truck.

I did some research on the interior colors/upholstery and I must say I love the color scheme: Pearl Biege/Brown/Black.

Again, painting it, wont be for a while. Right now I need to take care of some of the smaller things, like installing the second e brake bracket (was missing when I bought it) along with cleaning the drum brakes and fixing the steering..(Feels pretty loose while driving "swaying" almost)
Posted By: nels1954 Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Fri Mar 07 2014 05:10 PM
Truck looks great. I like the black color on the truck.
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sat Mar 08 2014 04:12 AM
Thank you!
Posted By: mendonjo Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sat Mar 15 2014 05:06 PM
The green is a great color but the black looks super to me. You don't see a lot of black ones. When I was your age I had a 54 in Transport Blue, it was a great truck.
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Sun Mar 16 2014 06:52 PM
Thank you mendonjo, I was debating on that still, but I've made up my mind to stick with black. Has that greaser look to it. Kinda dig it.
Posted By: DeanThe54Chevy Re: "Dean" the '54 Chevy - Fri Mar 21 2014 03:42 PM
Keep a look out today/tonight. I'll be posting some pics of the progress on the truck. (New E-brake cable) and cleaned out rear drums. Along with speedo fix!
© The Stovebolt Forums