Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Lennyzx11 1949 Chevrolet AD in Vermont - Fri Jul 09 2021 08:11 PM
I had been looking for an older truck for about 6 months now but really didn't get serious till last month. The 5 window was a favorite. This one showed up on Cragslist. I didn't want a total project this time but one I could enjoy a bit.
This one fit most of the bill. It was rust free, meticulously maintained, with a restoration in 2005 that had been done fairly well. New brakes,exhaust, interior decent, and the paint was okay from about 40 feet. It wouldn't run and the bed wood was missing.
So day one after getting it home, checking the timing, valves, carb, etc, I found an intake manifold gasket leak. This led me to your forums/site.
Today I replaced the intake manifold gasket with 2 gaskets from Napa after loosening the heat riser bolts per this forum's past threads. Now it's running like a top!

I wanted some music and enjoy listening to audio books or podcasts but truck is all original so no modifications allowed. I saw the custom radio offered but the 28 week wait and 800+ price made me come up with an interim plan of adding a cheap radio in the glove box and a couple of Pyle marine speakers in the lower cab rear corners.
I have to say the old "Hank williams Sr" and Patsy Cline crooning from the bluetooth connection to the phone sure sounded good.

Thanks for the information you guys share.
Lenny Dickson in Southern Vermont

PS, I wanted to post pictures but it appears I can't.
Posted By: Cosmo Re: 1949 Chevrolet AD in Vermont - Sat Jul 10 2021 07:54 AM
Welcome Lenny!

A lot of good help available here, enjoy!
I have a '49 as well, head unit in the glove box.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: 1949 Chevrolet AD in Vermont - Sat Jul 10 2021 11:42 AM
Welcome, Lenny!

Go ahead and post 4 more times and then you'll be able to post pictures. We do that to keep the spam bots away. Vermont, eh? Well, we have a few 'Bolters up thataway ... get to know them. Ask questions. Share what you learn.

Thanks for finding us!

John
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: 1949 Chevrolet AD in Vermont - Sat Jul 10 2021 11:56 AM
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake
Posted By: Phak1 Re: 1949 Chevrolet AD in Vermont - Sat Jul 10 2021 12:06 PM
Welcome to the “Bolt”. I’m not too far from southern Vermont, in the Saratoga area of NY. Your truck sounds awesome and looking forward to your pixs. See you around the garage!
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: 1949 Chevrolet AD in Vermont - Sat Jul 10 2021 02:40 PM
Welcome to the 'bolt... and post pix of your gem.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: 1949 Chevrolet AD in Vermont - Mon Jul 12 2021 07:46 PM
Welcome to Stovebolt, Lenny. Sounds like you have a nice truck. Vermont eh, at bison bits and bison burgers at a restaurant somewhere there named Sweetwater. Love the area.
See you around the garage forums.
© The Stovebolt Forums