Stovebolt.com
Posted By: BretStone Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 12:38 AM
Hey everyone! I’ve been a registered lurker on here for a bit now, and I’ve finally mustered up the courage to post my story.

I’ve been wanting a early 50’s Chevy truck for as long as I can remember, and just recently I was able to finally see my dream of getting horrendously filthy and swearing at old rusty metal come true!

I picked up a 1952 Chevy 3100 a few weeks ago. The body, besides having that “wonderful” patina, is in pretty darn good shape! There’s a few holes in the floor pan, so I’m planning on getting my welding skills honed up before I tackle that. It still has the original 216 (which turns by hand so I’m hopeful), and is completely stock.

Right now I’m still in cleanup and discovery mode, I’ve got all but the cab off and have been removing dirt by the pound out of every nook and cranny. As soon as I get the cab off (hopefully this week) I can get the frame sanded down to metal and take stock of what I can reuse, and what I need to replace.

I have already found an absolute wealth of knowledge here from everyone’s posts, and I hope to reap the benefits with my own questions here as well. Who knows, maybe I’ll get good enough at this yo start helping others as well. grin

Thank you all for the help you have silently provided me so far and I look forward to being active with y’all here.

Bret from Katy, TX

Attached picture F904F3F0-55B5-4289-B3EA-8C9908594F9F.jpeg
Attached picture C6161585-157F-4F2C-945C-26364E8966B7.jpeg
Attached picture 5A7DFFF8-77B8-4B8A-99AF-2C3B15428ECC.jpeg
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 02:00 AM
Bret, welcome to the Stovebolt. You are now an official member of the Texas Connection and there are quite a few of you here.
Congrats on finding a truck that is much more solid than what a bunch of us have started with. That is a good thing!!!

You will find answers to your questions by posting in the most appropiate forum for t ha particular thing. (not here in welcome center) Also please note that you are "moderated" for your first 4 post so you will not be able to send PM's (Private messages) to anyone. Once you get 4 post under your belt you can pm and enjoy all Stovebolt has to offer.

Look forward to seeing you around the garage forums.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 02:08 AM
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness! There is no cure. shake
Posted By: Jon G Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 02:46 AM
Welcome Bret, Your truck looks pretty nice and I hope you enjoy it. Let us know if you have questions or need any help.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 03:00 AM
I’ve got the fever for sure. I can’t stop looking at part sites LOL!
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
Bret, welcome to the Stovebolt. You are now an official member of the Texas Connection and there are quite a few of you here.
Congrats on finding a truck that is much more solid than what a bunch of us have started with. That is a good thing!!!

You will find answers to your questions by posting in the most appropiate forum for t ha particular thing. (not here in welcome center) Also please note that you are "moderated" for your first 4 post so you will not be able to send PM's (Private messages) to anyone. Once you get 4 post under your belt you can pm and enjoy all Stovebolt has to offer.

Look forward to seeing you around the garage forums.

Thank you so much! I was super excited when I found it. I was really hoping to land a project with minimal body work, as my welding skills are nowhere where they need to be.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jon G
Welcome Bret, Your truck looks pretty nice and I hope you enjoy it. Let us know if you have questions or need any help.

Thank you! I’ll for sure be shouting out as I go through this. From my lurking, there’s a ton of really nice people on here.
Posted By: J Lucas Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 04:03 AM
Nice score Bret. thumbs_up

Welcome

John
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by J Lucas
Nice score Bret. thumbs_up

Welcome

John

Thank you John! It’s hard to focus on work these days with it sitting there begging for me to work on it. grin
Posted By: RobinCO Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 01:28 PM
Bret,

Nice find and I love the patina. I'm in the same stage as you are, tearing apart and seeing what can be re-used. Unfortunately I have zero welding skills so I'm going to have to farm out some of my work.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Rob
Posted By: EchoBravoSierra Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 04:48 PM
Bret,

Welcome from Spring, TX.
Posted By: Possum Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Mon Jun 29 2020 05:32 PM
Welcome fellow Texan! Thats a good lookin truck, love the patina on it! grin
Posted By: coilover Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Tue Jun 30 2020 02:02 AM
Looks like you have a gem to start with. Must be a warm weather area truck, a real plus, since I cannot see where it has had a heater of any kind unless it was a Southwind gas heater. Firewall is unmolested and what I can see looks bone stock. These are getting hard to find---good luck.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Tue Jun 30 2020 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by RobinCO
Bret,

Nice find and I love the patina. I'm in the same stage as you are, tearing apart and seeing what can be re-used. Unfortunately I have zero welding skills so I'm going to have to farm out some of my work.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Rob

That's my biggest worry too, is the welding. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to get a cheap MIG and get my skills up, or just farm out the work. I'm guessing with the costs of hauling out the parts it might even out :P.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Tue Jun 30 2020 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by EchoBravoSierra
Bret,

Welcome from Spring, TX.

Thanks Echo! I tell you what, Corkscrew BBQ up there in Spring is some serious BBQ. Love it.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Tue Jun 30 2020 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Possum
Welcome fellow Texan! Thats a good lookin truck, love the patina on it! grin

Thanks Possum! Yeah I was really excited about the look when I saw it.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Tue Jun 30 2020 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by coilover
Looks like you have a gem to start with. Must be a warm weather area truck, a real plus, since I cannot see where it has had a heater of any kind unless it was a Southwind gas heater. Firewall is unmolested and what I can see looks bone stock. These are getting hard to find---good luck.

Thanks coilover! I actually got a copy of the original title when it was purchased new in 1952, and it's been a Texas truck it's whole life. Lovett Motor Co. out of Seguin, TX! No heater, A/C, radio, or anything. Completely bone stock. The only "accessory" was 50 pounds of authentic TX soil! LOL!
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Thu Jul 02 2020 03:45 AM
Welcome "back"..
Posted By: TUTS 59 Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Thu Jul 02 2020 11:31 AM
Welcome. I never noticed before how the dealership placed their logo in front of the Chevrolet script on the hood, that's a great touch, I hope you keep it. Truck just needs some love, going to be a great project.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Sat Jul 04 2020 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by TUTS 59
Welcome. I never noticed before how the dealership placed their logo in front of the Chevrolet script on the hood, that's a great touch, I hope you keep it. Truck just needs some love, going to be a great project.

Hi TUTS 59. I am absolutely going to keep it. I’m really hoping I can take it somewhere to get it cleaned up and rechromed. I think it would be a great way to help preserve its history.
Posted By: BretStone Re: Greetings from Katy, TX! - Sat Jul 04 2020 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by Rusty Rod
Welcome "back"..

Thanks Rusty Rod!
© The Stovebolt Forums