Stovebolt.com

First Truck- 51 5 window

Posted By: Bdron

First Truck- 51 5 window - Mon May 13 2019 07:44 PM

Hey all. Just got a 1951 Chevy 3100 5 window. 3 on the tree. Seems all original. Runs, drives, stops and everything works! Has some awesome patina. My plans are to keep it the way it is and just drive it. With that, I need to run through everything and make sure it’s mechanically all there. I wanna do a full service and tune up. Can anyone point me in a direction to find the specs for these trucks? Oil type and capacity, adjusting carb, adjusting clutch, transmission and rear end oil type/ capacity. Any help or tips are appreciate! I attached a few pics. Thank you!
Posted By: Ecratrods

Re: First Truck- 51 5 window - Tue May 14 2019 01:25 AM

Hello Bdron
Welcome to the club. You can find out all the info plus on just this forum. You can also get the factory assembly book etc.. Love these trucks congratulations on your new purchase you will have to post pics for the members. What part of Connecticut are you? Im in Rhode Island. .
Posted By: Justhorsenround

Re: First Truck- 51 5 window - Tue May 14 2019 02:06 AM

Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! Check out our Tech Tips for all the information you asked about. Lots of good reading. You can also use the search function in the bar just above your post. shake
Posted By: Rusty Rod

Re: First Truck- 51 5 window - Tue May 14 2019 04:36 AM

Welcome to the 'bolt. There are usually lube charts and other useful information on ebay.
Posted By: tclederman

Re: First Truck- 51 5 window - Tue May 14 2019 10:29 AM

As posted above, spend some time looking at the Tech Tips.

There are general topics on “getting started” and on types and sources of documentation.

A Shop Manual is available on-line:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/index.htm

A Owner/Operator Manual should also be available on-line (same source as the Shop Manual).
Posted By: Nhluvstruck

Re: First Truck- 51 5 window - Wed May 22 2019 02:18 AM

Welcome Bdron, fellow new Englander.
I've got the same truck, check out my build links.
Get the shop manual, but it's also on the Chevy.oldcarmanual project.com.
Posted By: miraclepieco

Re: First Truck- 51 5 window - Thu May 23 2019 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bdron
Hey all. Just got a 1951 Chevy 3100 5 window. 3 on the tree. Seems all original. Runs, drives, stops and everything works! Has some awesome patina. My plans are to keep it the way it is and just drive it. With that, I need to run through everything and make sure it’s mechanically all there. I wanna do a full service and tune up. Can anyone point me in a direction to find the specs for these trucks? Oil type and capacity, adjusting carb, adjusting clutch, transmission and rear end oil type/ capacity. Any help or tips are appreciate! I attached a few pics. Thank you!

Oh sure, service and tune up, that's how it always starts nono Next thing you know you'll have it in pieces on the floor and you'll wonder where your oldest's college fund went.
Posted By: sstock

Re: First Truck- 51 5 window - Sat May 25 2019 01:32 AM

Welcome Aboard
© 2019 The Stovebolt Forums