Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Kevin13Shaw Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 01:23 PM
Hi Folks, Been buffing and polishing the truck over the last few weeks, and took a look at the front emblem, and see that it has significant scratching. Before considering replacing with a rerpo unit, I have been trying to clean it up, with little success.
Here's what I've tried.
- hand polish with Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream (no improvement)
- Hand rub with Steel wool #000 (no improvement)
- Hand Sand with 3000 grit sand paper (more scratches, but uniform)
- Hand rub with Steel wool #0000 again (slight improvement in scratches)
- Hand polish with Blue Magic Metal polish Cream (no change)

Getting frustrated that there is nothing I can do to get the scratches out, and should just buy a repro unit.
THoughts on what I could do to save the original part?

Attached picture 20200426_153004.jpg
Posted By: DaveMcK38 Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 02:12 PM
With everything you've already tried I suspect rechroming would be your only option.
Posted By: Shaffer's1950 Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 03:37 PM
Maybe try a small spot. I used 0000 and Brasso...
But Try a small spot.
Todd
Posted By: olezippi Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 03:52 PM
I used NOXON and #0000 steel wool on my wheels and it took a lot of imperfections out. I Followed up with Blue Magic polish.

Attached picture 41euma9DRhL.jpg
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 04:35 PM
Once Chrome is scratched it’s scratched. No amount of rubbing/sanding will get it all out. Beware of the re-pops, they are not the quality of chrome as the original. If you can afford it, rechrome yours.🛠
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 05:43 PM
I painted mine white and used a decal kit. But I'm not worried about authenticity.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...1662/re-headlamp-visors.html#Post1351662
Posted By: delux54panel Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 07:02 PM
The 54s are stainless, not chrome. You’ll need to sand the scratches out, and put it on a buffing wheel to polish it.
Posted By: 46Sparky Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 07:42 PM
If these pieces are stainless steel the scratches will come out starting out using a lower grit number sandpaper than 3000. I polished a grill piece on the ‘37 and it was in much worse condition that the one in the photo. It fact, it even had dents. A friend loaned me a tool he made that raised the dents. These were then filed flat, yes a file and yes there was stomach turning horror when he demonstrated the technique on the piece. Once I completed that step on all the dents, we moved on to using progressively finer grit sandpaper. The grit started at 120, 220,320, and on up to 600, then we switched to brasso, then a solution that had an even finer grit. I don’t recall off hand what that one was now, I got at a swap meet years ago. I think now I’d likely use several different progressively finer grit papers body shops use, instead. This grill piece turned out looking pretty good.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 08:20 PM
Yes, if it’s stainless it can be brought back to like new condition. Like the guys said you have to start aggressive and then progressively lighter. Good luck.
Posted By: triplep Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by 46Sparky
If these pieces are stainless steel the scratches will come out starting out using a lower grit number sandpaper than 3000. I polished a grill piece on the ‘37 and it was in much worse condition that the one in the photo. It fact, it even had dents. A friend loaned me a tool he made that raised the dents. These were then filed flat, yes a file and yes there was stomach turning horror when he demonstrated the technique on the piece. Once I completed that step on all the dents, we moved on to using progressively finer grit sandpaper. The grit started at 120, 220,320, and on up to 600, then we switched to brasso, then a solution that had an even finer grit. I don’t recall off hand what that one was now, I got at a swap meet years ago. I think now I’d likely use several different progressively finer grit papers body shops use, instead. This grill piece turned out looking pretty good.

Good advice . But if you have just light scratches then I would start with 600 or above . Work up to 1000 1500 and 2500 . Then if you have a compound set with cotton wheels it will polish to a near chrome finish. Never quite as bright as chrome but close.
Posted By: Kevin13Shaw Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 11:29 PM
Thanks to folks pointing out the emblem was made from stainless. I pulled out my 3 inch Griots DA, put a microfiber cutting pad, and added the Blue Magic to the cutting pad. 15 minutes later, it looked like this!

Attached picture 20200428_184208.jpg
Posted By: tclederman Re: Scratched front Emblem - Tue Apr 28 2020 11:55 PM
beautiful
© The Stovebolt Forums