Stovebolt.com

*Truck Is Leaning*

Posted By: olezippi

*Truck Is Leaning* - Mon Dec 09 2019 08:46 PM

I didn't notice this when I bought my 49 as it was out in the middle of nowhere and nothing was level. Once I got it home I realized it was leaning. I have been addressing other issues and today I finally got around to checking things out and taking measurements. Tire pressure is fine. At the rear axle the frame checks out the same side to side to the floor, I unbolted the bed on the passengers side in the rear and jacked it up and added about 3/8"under the pad. Got back and did a sight check and it helped a little. If I go much more the tailgate is going to be off compared to the cab. The cab seems to be leaning just a little. Measuring from the floor to the wheel opening on the front and they are only 1/8" off side to side. The back is off 1/2". I can jack the passengers side of the bed up and add shims but what about the cab? Is that going to be a horse of a different color?

Attached picture 20191209_141832.jpg
Posted By: Justhorsenround

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Mon Dec 09 2019 09:48 PM

New cab mounts and new bed mounts may be in order. They are available from all the usual suppliers.🛠

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Mon Dec 09 2019 10:32 PM

Thanks. How much of an issue is it to jack up the cab and is that going to affect the front fender?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Mon Dec 09 2019 11:12 PM

You need to first ensure that the cab is mounted properly on the frame. For this to happen, you must have solid front cab supports (they take a beating over the years and are prone to rusting out), and as-new rubber in the rear cab shackles. You also need to set the gaps between the bottom of the front of the cab and the frame, and between the bottom of the rear of the cab and the frame. You can find these measurements in the Factory Shop Manual or at the online version of this manual.
Once this is complete, then the front clip is adjusted to fit the properly mounted cab.
The bed is the easiest to set level, but it would be hard to do if the cab is crooked.

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Mon Dec 09 2019 11:25 PM

52Carl,

Thanks for the info. Well.....my 49 has a nice paint job so at this point I don't want to get into readjusting everything. I think for now I'll just jack the bed up as much as I can on the passenger side without throwing the sight line from the bed and cab off and call it a day.
Posted By: showkey

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Tue Dec 10 2019 01:40 AM

From the picture it looks like cab might be level and the box to cab site line is off ?????? Meaning the box mounting might make for an easy fix. Obviously measuring the individual part and pieces would confirm.

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Tue Dec 10 2019 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah...the cab doesn't look as bad in the pic but when you stand in front of the truck it's noticeable. I'm heading to the parts store today to pick up some shims and see what I can do with the bed for now.
Posted By: 46Sparky

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Tue Dec 10 2019 02:08 PM

Wouldn’t worn out rear springs show this type of listing as well?

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Fri Dec 13 2019 12:23 PM

Yesterday I unbolted and jacked up the right hand rear of the bed and shimmed it up 1/2". Looks a whole lot better. I'm not finished tweaking yet but I'm headed in the right direction.

Attached picture 20191212_110903.jpg
Posted By: 46Sparky

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Fri Dec 13 2019 01:39 PM

This remedy adds to my suspicion the root problem is that the springs are worn out and likely the suspension bushings as well.

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Fri Dec 13 2019 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 46Sparky
This remedy adds to my suspicion the root problem is that the springs are worn out and likely the suspension bushings as well.

You could be right. I'm still digging into this today. While I was at the muffler shop earlier this week getting a quote on new duel exhaust I took a couple pics underneath while I was there. This 49 was supposedly built from 2015 and finished this spring but you know how that goes. Big 10 rear end and a 91 S10 front clip.

Attached picture 20191211_123820.jpg
Attached picture 20191211_124228.jpg
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Sat Dec 14 2019 12:25 AM

My eyeballs are telling me that the bumper is parallel to the floor and the rear of the bed is parallel to the bumper. You are done.
It is a truck. It looks right. Who needs more?

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Sat Dec 14 2019 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
My eyeballs are telling me that the bumper is parallel to the floor and the rear of the bed is parallel to the bumper. You are done.
It is a truck. It looks right. Who needs more?

I believe you are correct sir.
Posted By: miraclepieco

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Mon Dec 16 2019 08:51 AM

"Chevy Lean." They all do it, usually to the driver's side. Yours is/was barely noticeable. Heck, with you in the driver's seat it probably levels out perfectly. Nice truck.

Re: *Truck Is Leaning* - Mon Dec 16 2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by miraclepieco
"Chevy Lean." They all do it, usually to the driver's side. Yours is/was barely noticeable. Heck, with you in the driver's seat it probably levels out perfectly. Nice truck.

Thanks for the comment. I crawled under the truck and took measurements in 6 different places on both sides from front to back and saw nothing that would indicate the truck leaning. All the body mounts seems fairly new as I'm assuming they were replaced during the build from 2015-2019. I think I'm good with the way it looks now.
© 2020 The Stovebolt Forums