it isn't too difficult, as long as you make it look close to what it was like, it will be fine,
because later when we go through the alignment procedures any small variation in the coil winding will be calibrated out.
in the photo of the dirty coils in the vise, the center outer portion is dropped down a bit, and touching it i could see it was sloppy loose which is no good on rough roads
to the listener a weak station could have loudness variations with truck motion as this coil giggles, but it would likely not move enough in one instance to notice,
really it just needed to be fixed on principle
the circuit of what this coil does is attached as well - the two halves are for the variable oscillator that modulate the selected band to the IF frequency.
the oscillator must be able to span frequency ranges of (535KHx - 262Khz) to (1605KHz - 262KHz), that's 273KHz - 1343KHz
to keep the range overlapping properly with the selected station, the span offset is taken up by adjusting the iron core positions relative to each other
it's a pretty neat Rube Goldberg machine, but it works repeatably.
once removed from the rubber holder grommet, i slipped the coil apart into it's two halves, the inner one is a solid winding 1 layer thick end to end, i only had to re-wrap about a half dozen turns at each end and then held it in place with painters tape while the wax was warming up
the outer half i tried preserving the coil but soon it all fell apart,
since it's only 15 - 1/4 turns of evenly spaced wire, i decided pulling it all off and re-wrapping it was easier than trying to re-melt the gyptal in place,
the spacing is not super critical as long as nothing moves when we are done that's what's important
if one wrap is closer or father apart it will have virtually no significance to the desired mutual inductance of the inner-outer coils because the gap is so large between the two and it's an air core.
i taped the wire at one end close to where it was at before (you could see a shadow of the old wire on the core)
then i rolled it on the table top, 15 turns happens fast, so go slow and even
then tape the other end up.
put a dab of wax here and there to hold it all together
then i followed up with a bit of rubber cement in a strip along the wax (not shown)
and finally used a hot air gun to remelt the wax evenly once the rubber cement strip was holding
wax is a good intermediate holding solution because it's very easy to undo if something goes wrong before you commit with the rubber cement