Stovebolt.com
Posted By: 52Carl plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Sun Sep 01 2019 01:09 AM
Well I finished installing my rotten pine bed wood with plastic deck boards. It looks very nice. Nice naturalish color and wood grain. I got lucky with the dimensions of the old bed wood and the new deck boards. The old eight board bed wood measure 5 3/4", but the plastic boards measure 5 1/2". I was able to cheat by moving the outer boards inward, thus preventing gaps which would not be covered up by the bed strips.
I cut spacers out of the scraps of the plastic boards to keep the wood from moving side to side (plastic doesn't expand like wood, so these spacers won't cause any buckling). I drilled holes in the middle of the spacers so that bed strip bolts will keep them in place. I put the spacers between the boards on the top of the 3 center cross sills (21 in total). I did have to drill a few holes in some of the cross sills to accommodate a few of the bed strip bolts, but not as many as I thought that would.
By the way, I did not router the grooves on the edges of the plastic boards for the bed strips. You can't even tell the difference. The grooves in the wood boards are there to capture the bed strips to keep everything in place when the wood expands and contracts. Not needed with plastic boards.
Carl
Posted By: HandyAndy Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Sun Sep 01 2019 03:59 AM
Pictures my friend, we need some pictures!

..........or not.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 04 2019 05:22 PM
Pics before bolts installed.

Attached picture IMG_0210.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0211.JPG
Posted By: Shaffer's1950 Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 04 2019 05:58 PM
Carl,
That looks Great !!
Posted By: DoubleDingo Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 04 2019 06:34 PM
Looks good, and will last a long time.
Posted By: tclederman Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 04 2019 06:43 PM
Thanks, Carl

If/when my soon-to-be-painted bed boards go bad, I'll be looking for black plastic deck boards.
I bought the boards several years ago - when "plastic" decks boards were uncommon and untested.

Nice job.
Posted By: Fox Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Thu Sep 05 2019 05:01 AM
Me likey a lot. Very slick.
Posted By: dgrinnan Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Thu Sep 05 2019 11:19 AM
Looks nice. Couldn't help but notice your brush ax. Working truck or window dressing? My first real job out of high school was on a track gang for the railroad. I learned to hate those brush axes. I cringe every time I see one.
Posted By: HandyAndy Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Thu Sep 05 2019 11:59 AM
Thanks for the pics Carl. I'm with these guys, it really looks great!

Nice work!! thumbs_up
Posted By: 52Carl Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Fri Sep 06 2019 02:09 AM
Thanks for the comments! I was contemplating painting it black, but I don't know how well it would hold up on the plastic. Besides that, the pattern which they put into it makes it look like wood. This truck is my daily driven work truck, so I don't want it to look too nice.
Dave, the Kaiser blade (some people call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade, emm hmm) is what I consider to be crowd control.
Posted By: tclederman Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Fri Sep 06 2019 11:38 AM
1x6 plastic solid boards - "wood grain" on one side - they are not inexpensive
Posted By: 52Carl Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Sat Sep 07 2019 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by tclederman

$294.24 plus tax for 8 boards, but you won't ever need to do it again.
The boards that I used were about half that price, but if I had seen those 1X6 boards that color when I bought mine, I may have been tempted to splurge for them.
Posted By: doyle1950 Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Sun Sep 08 2019 07:35 PM
What a great looking bed!
Posted By: SavannahDog Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Mon Sep 09 2019 04:41 PM
I'm thinking a "Tech Tip" here. Carl I think you got a winner with this.
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Tue Sep 10 2019 04:50 PM
interesting concept. and it looks great. I wonder how well they would hold up on a working truck tho? Especially on a hot summer day, I know my plastic deck boards get a little softer at the end of a hot day in the sun.
Posted By: tclederman Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Tue Sep 10 2019 08:17 PM
What brand of board, Rusty Rod?

How old are the boards?
What is the brand?

I had some deck boards installed two years ago. They do not seem to get softer in NC coastal sun.
They might get harder in a cold winter, but I will never know,
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Tue Sep 10 2019 09:01 PM
TC, not sure, but they are almost an inch thick
Posted By: 69Cuda Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 11 2019 12:54 AM
when I put my deck on my house a number of years ago, I needed to add more support for the plastic boards than if they were wood. it will get warm and warp, and also expand BUT, it is sure nice not to have to paint it or worry about rot! I would think they should hold up well in a pickup bed. Mine were "evergrain" brand.
Posted By: tclederman Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 11 2019 12:56 AM
How far apart are/were your floor joists, Mike?
Posted By: 52Carl Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 11 2019 01:10 AM
My truck is parked in the full sun all day. Time will tell how it holds up. I figure if it works on a deck, it will work on a truck bed. These boards are ribbed on the bottom. Hopefully that will provide some rigidity.
Posted By: 69Cuda Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Wed Sep 11 2019 11:34 PM
How far apart are/were your floor joists, Mike?

we went 16" on center instead of 24"
Posted By: JD1 Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Thu Sep 12 2019 01:23 AM
Carl,
That looks good.
Posted By: tclederman Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Thu Sep 12 2019 02:20 PM
I am away from home, but, I'll try to remember to check joist-spacing on my house-deck boards - NC near-shore sunshine, reaching over 100 degrees with no buckling/sagging.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Fri Sep 13 2019 01:00 PM
Interesting idea, Carl. But with the nominal lengths available being 8 or 16 ft, it would seem only the 3/4-ton guys wouldn't end up with left overs. Maybe I'd have to find a 1/2-ton guy to go in with on those 16 footers ...

(not that I'm contemplating replacing Charlie's nearly pristine original bed wood ... just struck me that it is a lot of $$ possibly spent on product you can't use -- especially the 1-ton guys)

JM
Posted By: Grigg Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Sat Sep 14 2019 07:39 PM
Any concern about tail pipe close to it or is the original heat shield sufficient?
Posted By: tclederman Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Mon Sep 16 2019 03:13 PM
I am away from home, but, I'll try to remember to check joist-spacing on my house-deck boards - NC near-shore sunshine, reaching over 100 degrees with no buckling/sagging.

16" on center

Therefore, I do not now if they would sag with a wider spacing.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: plastic deck boards for bed wood. - Mon Sep 16 2019 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Grigg
Any concern about tail pipe close to it or is the original heat shield sufficient?

Without a load, the tailpipe isn't all that close on mine.
© The Stovebolt Forums