Stovebolt.com
Posted By: apba12m tailgate chain hole location in pocket - Wed Apr 17 2019 09:20 PM
since my pockets are new and did not come drilled for the chain mount what is the location dimension to drill the hole? also was it a square hole...Lou
Posted By: 49 3100 Re: tailgate chain hole location in pocket - Thu Apr 18 2019 01:13 AM
How do you drill a square hole??
Posted By: klhansen Re: tailgate chain hole location in pocket - Thu Apr 18 2019 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by 49 3100
How do you drill a square hole??

With a square drill bit, of course. grin

Just drill a round one and file the corners out. You can just drive the square head (carriage style) bolt in once you get close.
Posted By: 2ManyTrucks Re: tailgate chain hole location in pocket - Thu Apr 18 2019 03:27 AM
I do my squares the old fashioned way, with a triangle file (because a square file will leave the corners over 90)
I filed about 2 dozen squares for the metal strips in the box floor
I started with a square file, but it soon became apparent that the reason triangle files exist is because they make square hole much easier
-s
Posted By: klhansen Re: tailgate chain hole location in pocket - Thu Apr 18 2019 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by Harold46

Those are actually driver bits for square recess (Robertson) screws. A #2 square bit is less than 1/8 inch across, so wouldn't make a very big square hole if used in a hammer drill with rotation turned off. But if a guy made a similar tool in the right size, that would make swageing or broaching a square hole a piece of cake.
© The Stovebolt Forums