Stovebolt.com
Posted By: rusty52stovey who wants there gauges done? - Tue Nov 11 2008 06:08 AM
I don't know about you guys but I do not want to reface my gauges with basically a sticker set. and since work for a printing company I could screen them. what i was wondering is if i decide to have my gauges screen printed would some of you guys want yours done also? they would be in the correct colors and font. All I would need is the faces No offense but I don't want to take someones else's gauges apart. this is just a feeler to see if anybody would want this done so i can figure out the logistics of everything
Posted By: Denny Graham Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Nov 11 2008 11:34 AM
I think there would be fairly good sized market for this service. There are only a few different masks that you would have to make up for the AD's and you would have to be very accurate with the colors.
Also you would have to be competative with in reason with the vendors selling the decals. Although I would much rather have my gauges screen printed I have heard many good reports about the decals.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Posted By: 46farmtruck Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Nov 11 2008 03:35 PM
I would be interested in such a service. Would it be more durable than the decals?
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Nov 12 2008 08:40 PM
46farmtruck yes it would vinyl is known to fade quite a bit. screen printing would be very durable. The main reason I would rather do it this way is because that is how they were originally done. Also vinyl is a decal its hard not to get air bubbles behind the faces and over time they lose there adhesiveness Denny graham I wasn't thinking of doing this as a one time service if I could get enough people to do it with me. it would be too expensive to do them one at a time. I will write up a plan soon to detail what ya'll would have to do and how much. my problem right now is I don't have the correct colors because my gauges are sun faded.
Posted By: Denny Graham Re: who wants there gauges done? - Thu Nov 13 2008 04:06 PM
That's what I thought I indicated, ďI think there would be fairly good sized market for this service." what I was trying to say is that if you put the time into making the masks, that I think you could get quite a bit of business for the service, as long as you could compete with the vendors decal prices. I mean, the decals are ten bucks a set, do you think you can strip, mask, paint base coat and print the text on the speedo, and four gauge cluster for two or there times that much???? I doubt it.
And yes, the originals were screen-printed and I would only use a decal if the face was completely gone and I couldn't find someone like you to paint them.

I wish someone would come up with a stencil for the Thrift-Master logo on the valve covers instead of those chincy looking decals. A vinyl sign printer orta be able to cut a stencil with a light sticky that you could peal off after spraying the cover. Here again though, Iíve looked for over two years for a good picture of an original Thrift-Master valve cover logo to recreate the graphic and still havenít found one that was in tact.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sun Nov 16 2008 03:50 AM
there is no way a person could compete with the decal prices because there is so much more worked involved but it could be done for a fair price. it would only be a two color process. I haven't heard much interest. I guess I didn't make myself clear I am doing this anyway so I am paying for the screens and colors. the only cost for everyone would be the time and shipping.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sun Nov 16 2008 05:22 AM
Rusty52: I have mine refaced with the vinyl but have an old facing or two that I wouldn't mind having done. That said I guess, since your doing a set anyway, I think I want a set to....I can always keep them for someone who wished they had got a set of them. thumbs_up

I spent 35 years printing and finishing...screen to rotary ect and know that when you set up its nice to do several.
Come on guys, this is a chance to get them done right.
Let me know Rusty. Besides....they'll be made in the USA!!
Posted By: 46farmtruck Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Nov 18 2008 01:25 AM
Rusty52, I'm still interested. How many would you need to do to make it work out?
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Nov 18 2008 07:15 AM
well the more I get the cheaper it will be you know how that goes. but I haven't heard from many people even though it is one of the most looked at threads. I may just scrap the whole Idea and do it just for Chipmunk,you and myself
Posted By: glasman Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Nov 18 2008 04:37 PM
Rusty, I'm thinking that maybe your not hearing from people because they haven't heard the price.
I don't know for sure but it is what slowed me up a bit on saying, ya count me in for the deal.
So without further ado....count me in, bezels for a 52.
Dan
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Nov 18 2008 08:55 PM
its hard to price until I know how many people I am doing it for. if I had to guess it would be less then $30.00 and that would be with shipping I hope!
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Nov 19 2008 05:14 AM
Rusty52, I guess we better dig out our old guage faces,huh?
Just let me/us know.
Posted By: Ed's_53 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Thu Nov 20 2008 06:45 PM
I'd be interested in having a set done. Other than removing the dial faces from the gauges, would there by any other prep work required by me like striping old paint, etc.

Posted By: KCMongo Re: who wants there gauges done? - Thu Nov 20 2008 09:50 PM
Count me intrigued.
I sent you a PM..
MONGO
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Fri Nov 21 2008 04:21 AM
OOOOOK, I have a question. I could answer it myself but its to cold in the garage right now!!

Up until 1952 the speedometer register 80mph. Then if 1952 they register 90 mph. My questions before we get to deep into this thing are,
1. all the guage faces are the same size (aren't they)
2. Rusty52: will you be doing both the 80 and the 90 mph faces?
3....and most important to me, MY extra guage face is an 80mph but can't it be done to be a 90 mph since mine is a 1952.

Just trying to make sure we cover all things before Rusty52 spends his time on the project.

Rusty52stovey, let us know what we need to do.
Posted By: Denny Graham Re: who wants there gauges done? - Fri Nov 21 2008 02:31 PM
The decals do not include the, GASOLINE, BATTERY, TEMPERATURE, OIL PRESS lettering for the gauge cluster. Do you intend on doing the 1)Speedo, 2)Four individual gauges, 3)Gauge cluster as listed above all for $30 shipping included?

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Nov 22 2008 03:26 AM
I plan on doing the whole kit and caboodle for that price I have to find out what shipping charges are but right now I am waiting to receive a 80 mph gauge I already have the 90 mph gauge.
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Nov 22 2008 03:35 AM
oops I forgot the only thing I will not be doing on the gauges would be the needles themselves. But while I have your folks gauge faces you can just touch them up yourselves
Posted By: gmchix Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Nov 22 2008 08:23 AM
Rusty,

Count me in....will you be doing the GMC blank .... I am in...
Posted By: 31,32,33 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Nov 22 2008 03:37 PM
Count me in. I will be needing a 80 mph. speedometer face, but a 0-60 oil pressure face
Cleon
Posted By: Harold46 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Nov 22 2008 04:45 PM
Rusty,
Just found your post. What years are you talking about?
I have a 1946.
Harold
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sun Nov 23 2008 05:02 AM
not I am not doing 46 at this time but with all the reply my boss is warming up to the Idea and he may let me expand at a later date.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Mon Nov 24 2008 02:27 AM
Rusty, your 80mph speedo face is packaged and will go out in the morning postal mail.
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Mon Nov 24 2008 06:25 PM
Cool thanks Alvin
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Dec 03 2008 05:24 AM
I got an 80mph from Achipmunk the other day so I am now in the process of making templates for everything and we will go from there. the cost of shipping was pretty cheap so my target price is still looking good
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Dec 09 2008 02:01 AM
hey guys I am looking at doing the gauge set after Christmas work is slower then and i should be able to fit them in with ease
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Dec 09 2008 03:25 AM
rusty52stovey,
It may help to "recap" just what it is your going to do so anyone only looking at these last post will know whats going on and may want to get an order in.

Are you doing the 80 and the 90 mph speedometer face...and are you doing any of the smaller guages at this time?

I understand that your only doing the speedo's...is that correct?
Posted By: 32fire Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Dec 09 2008 06:59 AM
please count me in for one face mayby two i will need an address to send it to let me know when you want it thanks
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Dec 09 2008 05:27 PM
Here is what is going to be done right now the
speedo face
oil pressure 30 PSI so far (I need a 60 PSI for a template)
Gas gauge
temp gauge
Battery gauge
the outer ring that has Battery fuel temp and oil pressure

the only thing I well not be doing is the odometer for that price only because it is so time consuming, and I would have to pay my boss some fairly good money to take up and use one of his pad printing machines. because you can not silk screen those

I will give you all more information tonight when i get home from work
Posted By: 46 HalfTon Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Dec 09 2008 06:49 PM
Rusty,

I have a 46 as well. Let me know if your boss gets warmer because I'm totally interested!
Posted By: John54 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Dec 10 2008 02:40 AM
Is this just for the 46 trucks? Or will they do other year truck gauges? I have a 37 that I would be interested in having done. John
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Fri Dec 12 2008 04:46 AM
I do not have plans for any other gauges other then 48-53 maybe 47 if I can get my hands on one to make a template. sorry guys unless you can gather up enough people to cut the cost down to an affordable price remember the more the better. I will keep bugging my boss

Amendment (no GMC Gauge sorry guys they are a different color set which I don't have)

O.K guys this is what I got planned. as said before the oil, fuel, battery, temp gauge and speedo are going to be screened. Alvin or AChipmunk Sent me just the face to his speedometer and postage was cheap. the speedometer is fairly easy to take apart. Now for the other faces if you take and remove the rivets the face will just come off the gauge it's self. Ya'll send my all the face sets in a protected package if they are bent I will not be able to screen them! while the gauge are away this is you time to take a little white paint (model testor paint works well) and lightly paint the needles.
O.k. now for my part when I receive them I will take inventory of your faces making sure to record if you had a 30 PSI or 60 PSI oil gauge and if you had a 80MPH or 90 MPH gauge. I will rewove the rust if any and gentle sand smooth. moving on I will paint the backgound color (satin Brown color 241239)

Note: I will not be doing the speedometer center with the chrome rim.

after all faces have been painted I will screen the numbers in white (maribu 971 ink) this were I need some input I can keep the ink as is or I can put a flattening agent in it what is you guys opinion? majority rules.

after ink has cured all parts will be shipped back to you postage paid and protected. any more questions just ask

that is the plan. I will let you know when I will get things going it may take a little bit of time and this I apologize #1 I will not start the project until I have everybody's gauge faces i can't do multiple runs #2 It is not my company and I have to work them in when we are not busy or on my own time.

I hope this doesn't turn to many of you guys off Please comment on anything I just want to help out and I am doing this for myself anyway so i thought i would help you guys out also.
Posted By: Ol' Red Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Dec 13 2008 09:32 PM
Rusty52:

I'm definitely in! 1951, 80 mph, 30# oil gauge. Thank you for doing this. It's also very cool of your boss to let it happen.

When will you let us know the final cost so we can send checks (will you take a check or do you want PayPal)?

Also, if you haven't already, could you publish your mailing address? I'll try to mail my gauges next week.

Regarding the whitening with or w/o the flattener, I don't have a preference and will defer to the majority.

Thanks again! Let us know if anything changes.
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Dec 13 2008 10:33 PM
Checks or money order I can maybe also talk to my boss and see if a debit card or credit card could be used. I don't really like pay pal just a personal opinion.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Mon Dec 15 2008 02:51 AM
rusty52: I've been doing some thinking on the white color. Its my opinion to not "flatten" the white color. For me I'm getting OLD and cannot see as well as I use to...
And the white will yellow up or tone down some as it ages a little in the heat and cold.
Just my opinion but then I am not looking at how "brigt" it is without the flattening agent. I guess we'll take your decision on this one!!
Posted By: 1953 panel Re: who wants there gauges done? - Mon Dec 15 2008 03:58 AM
Hey Rusty, I am interested as well. Mine is 0-90 mph with 0-30 oil pressure.
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Mon Dec 15 2008 04:21 AM
Alvin I agree with you the problem is I am not old enough to of had a truck back in the day when they were new I don't know if the gauges were glossy or flat. did any stovebolters have a truck when it was still considered new? were the gauges flat or gloss?
Posted By: PoetsSeatAuto Re: who wants there gauges done? - Mon Dec 29 2008 06:45 AM
I would to be interested. Mine are GMC Guages. but, I would need to contact you somehow so, I can find out what it would cost. I know shipping would be under 20.00 for overnight. as they are only the thin metal plates. iT MAY ONLY cost 6.00 to ship.

I could find more to do. please let me know...

Psacservice@aol.com
Posted By: 51sub Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Jan 07 2009 09:15 PM
i am interested in having my gauges refaced. i am also in the Minneapolis area. When would you need to have the gauges forwarded to you? I have not removed them from my sub yet but will be soon.

Mike
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Mon Jan 19 2009 09:55 PM
Sorry no one has heard from me in awhile. I think many of you know why. My boss gave me a paid break from work for this month to deal with the death of my son. He also lost a child himself and knew how hard it is. The gauges are in the plans still there is just a delay. I hope this doesn't inconvenience to many of you
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Jan 20 2009 04:48 AM
Rusty52stovey: We're not going anywhere and realized from the beginning things had to be worked out. Take care of you and family and we will still be around. Your family is still in our prayers.
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Feb 18 2009 02:46 AM
Update The templates are being made as we speak I have been putting in long hours to get them done
Posted By: Wisner955 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Feb 18 2009 08:10 PM
Rusty52

This is the first I've seen of this thread. Are these still available?

Could you explain what I need to do if this offer is still available.

Paul
Posted By: starkweatherr Re: who wants there gauges done? - Thu Feb 19 2009 10:03 PM
If I can figure out how to get them out and apart I need a 60 psi oil pressure gauge/90 mph set for a 1953 Chevy 3800.

When's the cutoff date for delivery to you?
Posted By: rusty52stovey Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Mar 03 2009 03:49 AM
There is no cut off date as of yet. I have been slaving away at templates. I would like to have everything ready by April or may.
Posted By: loadmaster235 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sun Aug 09 2009 11:46 PM
Need some advice guys, please.
I'm restoring a 49 GMC, and need to refurb my gauges. I've got the odometer out, and remembered I had a New Old Stock replacement odometer "wheel set" filed away from a previous restoration that was not used. The "wheel set" is new, but someone has turned a few of the wheels playing with it. In other words, the numbers are not lined up to read "000000". Can anyone tell me how to set these back? It reminds me of a rubics cube!!!
Thanks
Dennis
Posted By: Hookalatch Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Aug 12 2009 07:17 PM
Did this project happen?
How did they turn out?
Any chance of another run?

Chuck
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Wed Aug 12 2009 10:23 PM
Hooklatch: Rusty52 went through some hard times not long ago with the lost of one of his children and took some time off from work. He told us it may take a while so I expect him to check in and give us the scoop just anytime.
Posted By: aggie jon Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sun Jan 17 2010 04:56 PM
Rusty,

I have two sets of gauges that I'd like to get screened. I'm in no huge rush, so when you are ready to roll, I'll get the gauges out and ready to ship to you if it is not too late.

Posted By: Harold46 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sat Mar 06 2010 05:52 AM
Rusty,
Just found this topic. Sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one.
Please advise if you will pursue this project and what I need to do to have my 46 screened.
Thank you for your interest in helping other restorers complete our projects.
Harold
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sun Mar 07 2010 03:38 AM
Harold46: I went back and read all the post and it appeared he would not be doing the 46 guages...at least not among the first ones. i expect to hear from Rusty just about any time. I know he was working on the templets no to long ago.
Posted By: bigedpa Re: who wants there gauges done? - Sun Mar 07 2010 04:23 AM
if the 46's become available for print i would be interested. If i can ever get to my truck under the snow to remove the guages. Please let me know if this eventually happens.

thanks

big ed
Posted By: jed97 Re: who wants there gauges done? - Thu Mar 11 2010 01:41 AM
I would like to get a set of gages done too when it happens in no hurry just started working on truck
thanks jim
Posted By: 51sub Re: who wants there gauges done? - Tue Mar 16 2010 05:07 PM
I am interested in a set for my 51 sub. No hurry but keep everyone posted as things prrogress.
© The Stovebolt Forums