Stovebolt.com
Posted By: woof359 electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 03:23 PM
thought I would share my experience on replacing the vacuum motor on my 3100, not the easiest thing I have done, radio grill must come out, easy to get the old one out not so easy to bolt the new one in, its huge and and needs shimed downward. New motor didnt clear the OEM choke cable so that got replaced with a new one that was longer with more slack, new motor didnt come with all the hardware needed, support bracket isn't bent correctly so that need tweeked. crank on the new motor fell off while installing it because the factory didnt tightened the set screws, check yours first....., wipers park in a different position every time, needed some TLC to make that go away, new wiper knob didnt fit the new switch had to drill that out

Attached picture DSC03314.JPG
Posted By: woof359 Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 03:24 PM
all in all better than the tired old vacuum pump but dont think its going to work like a factory OEM wiper
Posted By: woof359 Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 03:26 PM
better than the worn out motor but dont think its going to be as nice as an OEM motor
Posted By: woof359 Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 03:29 PM
switch was so big the wires would not clear the top of the motor so I shimed the motor downward and had to still bend the switch terminals out wards

Attached picture to big.jpg
Posted By: woof359 Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 03:30 PM
bell crank fell off cause both set screws were loose, check yours

Attached picture loose set screws.jpg
Posted By: woof359 Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 03:31 PM
and the new knob hole was way to small to fit on the new switch, easy fix, just drill it out

Attached picture small hole.jpg
Posted By: Johnny N Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 05:39 PM
Replaced mine with one from newport engineering. Had zero problems. John
Posted By: MNSmith Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 08:51 PM
Same here on the Newport unit. Easy install, no problems.
Posted By: bartamos Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 09:10 PM
That is a Classic Parts of America part number. A good unit. Classic sells several conversion units. In the description of each motor, it states whether it clears the choke cable or not. The only one that does state that it clears, is one of the 12V motors. The subject of the choke cable clearance and the terminals needing bent is covered here on Stovebolt in several past posts. Most, if not all, of these Classic Parts motors are Newport Engineering units.

Some can be used with original knob, some can not. I thought the knob and shaft were a "D" press-on fit. Must be a set screw if you can "drill" it out.

Many assembly line components are shipped with loose screws. Workers tend to over tighten, over torque, damage things. So they are told not to torque hardware. Automated torque drivers don't work to prevent and automated drivers can cause problems. Lots of consumer items are shipped with a bag of hardware or loose fitting hardware. Unnecessary and costly quality control inspection is thereby eliminated.

Wipers stopping at a different position each time would be an electrical miswire. Park is electrical. The only "tweak" is wire it correctly.
Posted By: Johnny N Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 09:28 PM
Newport makes all 12 volt wiper motors. Not 6 volt. As I inquired when I ordered. If you look at the op s box it looks to be made by counter part. Off shore
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 09:31 PM
I've only installed a couple but the NewPort Engineering was great....and if you order correctly will miss the choke wire.
.....sadly its to late for Woof, he's already spent his money.

...not sure if JCarter still sells the Newport unit but I purchased mine from him cheaper than I could buy it directly from Newport....but that was a few years ago. (about 5)
Posted By: Jon G Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 09:39 PM
If you get tired of only having 2 speeds (and if your truck is a daily driver and you're not worried about driving in the rain), you might want intermittent wipers someday. If so search and you'll find the circuit I posted a year or two ago making this all possible. You can even select the amount of delay when you're building the circuit.
Posted By: bartamos Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 09:55 PM
Counterpart seems to be a huge wholesale company. Probably Chinese. No website when g o o g l e d. Classic parts does identify which are USA made and you can see the Newport logo on some.
Some 12V on Classic site are not labeled USA, so those would be the "off shore". As said, none of the 6V say USA made and Newport does not have a 6V unit. Newport mentions knob modification.

Some off shore stuff is good , some are not.
Posted By: Jon G Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 10:08 PM
Counterpart is the wholesale side of Car & Truck shop out of orange, CA. They are importers of many truck parts and wholesale to a lot of retailers. Some of their stuff is good and some crap. WES

The above was copied and pasted from the site: www.67-72ChevyTrucks.com [67-72chevytrucks.com]
It was posted about 10 years ago and a discussion followed on that site...as you might expect.

There are lots of comments floating around about these two operations. I suppose you can make up your own mind.
Posted By: Johnny N Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 10:59 PM
I agree.
Posted By: bartamos Re: electric wiper replacment - Sat Jun 12 2021 11:16 PM
Bottom line after all this is:
Woof359: Good job on making it work and thanks for the info.
Posted By: EdPruss Re: electric wiper replacment - Sun Jun 13 2021 02:14 AM
My Newport installation went OK, some parts missing, promptly replaced, directions sort of vague.

Might be easier with a 6 volt truck to use a resistor and 12 v unit.

Ed
Posted By: coilover Re: electric wiper replacment - Sun Jun 13 2021 03:46 AM
Would not trade my vacuum motor for a dozen electric. Sent my motor to Ficken about 40 years ago and then put an electric vacuum pump from a Mercedes diesel where the battery box used to be. Has UNLIMITED number of speeds and is unaffected by pull on engine so no stop going up hills. I guess with an electric vacuum pump it could be called a "hybrid".
Posted By: woof359 Re: electric wiper replacment - Sun Jun 13 2021 08:11 PM
didnt see any foot notes on cable clearance, no biggie, new cable works so much better, yes the chrome plastic knob has a set screw, only one wire to hook up the wiper, missed the posts on others wiper installs. got it in, no rain expected for the next decade here just HOT and sunny, well go look for the other wiper post, Many Thanks
Posted By: bartamos Re: electric wiper replacment - Sun Jun 13 2021 10:21 PM
Good deal. Maybe there was no note about the choke cable. But I don't really know who you bought it from. The note I am referring to is at the bottom of This page. [classicparts.com]
Posted By: woof359 Re: electric wiper replacment - Tue Jun 22 2021 12:43 AM
see it now,new cable works so much better, miss the old knob tho,
Posted By: Phak1 Re: electric wiper replacment - Tue Jun 22 2021 01:05 PM
It’s easy to tell (on Classic Parts) which wiper motor is made by Newport and subsequently made in the USA. Just look at the price. They sell for $249.95 vs the import a $174.50.
Posted By: mikeg103 Re: electric wiper replacment - Sun Jul 11 2021 08:46 PM
I just got done installing my electric replacement motor from car and truck orange co. , much larger than oe vacuum motor , sat in nice but,motor is very close to speaker grill ,motor wont fit up against the firewall has to be reversed so doubt i would ever be able to get a speaker in there , had to pull wiper arms of inside cab , brass bushings were to small to fit on the bar so had to remove them and use the plastic ones provided , seemed to work good , adjusted the wipers on the windshield to good park position, not bad for an offshore brand . we'll see how long it lasts .
© The Stovebolt Forums