Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Truckasaurus44 Figuring Out Previous Owner's Alternator Wiring - Mon Sep 14 2020 02:54 AM
I've got a 1953 2-ton that was converted to 12V by the previous owner. He also put in a new wiring harness. The alternator isn't charging now and I fugured to just replace the 1-wire unit he had in there with a another. Then I noticed the plug that appears to be for a three wire unit zip tied off to the side. See picture below.

One wire on the plug disappears into the harness. The other just has an eyelet on the end of a short wire. I believe that eyelet goes to the battery wire stud, but not sure. What should I do? Stick with 1-wire or use the plug on a 3-wire. If I use the plug, does that eyelet go to the charging stud on the alternator?

Attached picture 20200913_223604.jpg
Attached picture 20200913_223531.jpg
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Figuring Out Previous Owner's Alternator Wiring - Mon Sep 14 2020 04:11 PM
This picture was just posted a couple days ago, it may or may not help.

Attached picture 3-wire-better.jpg
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Figuring Out Previous Owner's Alternator Wiring - Wed Sep 16 2020 02:44 AM
I found this site to have real clear instructions. 12-VOLT NEGATIVE GROUND 3 WIRE INSTRUCTIONS [vintageautogarage.com]

The Idiot light is nice to have, but can be eliminated from the wire going to the ignition or to the ignition side of the ballast resister.

Personally I would install it.
© The Stovebolt Forums