Stovebolt.com
Posted By: mac67 Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Fri Jun 26 2020 02:21 PM
Thoughts, comments, advice...
1971 C10 w350
Picked it up with broken neon tube lights, trailer brake control, (keeping?) Boomer stereo and related, aftermarket A R A cruise control with broken switch in signal arm. Have new non cruise lever and stop light. Other that following the wiring and disconnecting it is there anything I need to be aware of?. Never reverse engineered one of these things. Battery neg is disconnected. Would prefer not to toast the rest of it when I hit the key
Wires were all twist connected and wrapped with painter's tape or scotch locked
Thanks!
MC

Attached picture 1593180502269-1374315380.jpg
Posted By: Tommy Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Fri Jun 26 2020 03:26 PM
Just disconnect the power and the ground, that should solve the toast problem. Some of those had a sensor of some sort on the drive shaft, look for that and follow wires back to the unit under the dash. I would assume the wireing to the blinker handle would have a connection on it. disconnect and you should be done.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Fri Jun 26 2020 05:30 PM
I see a mess like that, I just start pulling wires and start over. But, that's just me.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Fri Jun 26 2020 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by MNSmith
I see a mess like that, I just start pulling wires and start over. But, that's just me.
That is not just you, brother.
At issue for me is, how am I going to feel when, down the road, I have a mysterious electrical issue. That Extra Spicy Ragu mess in the way will likely cause an embarrassing public display not suitable for women, children, pets, and some men.
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Fri Jun 26 2020 08:08 PM
The wires change colors, sometimes three times to different splices. The purple from the ignition switch is cut n spliced twice. One to a pigtail that goes to what looks like an aftermarket relay that goes into the column( with four other wires spliced into who knows so far then to fuse box, one connected to the tach wire and another spliced into the HEI.
I need a drink or two...I'm afraid of I remove all this mess someting..or nothing will work
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Fri Jun 26 2020 10:13 PM
Ok boys n girls...arrgg!
Cut the wires a few inches back from the splices. Didn't get into them at all. Ignition is hot, Burped the switch and all good. BUT I Have no lights but the cab light, no gauges, no blower nothing....
Fuses good, nothing smoked...
I'm going to have those drinks now! Should I start smoking? Already hot under the collar. WTH?
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Fri Jun 26 2020 10:17 PM
52Carl this mess started as a foot stuck into the wiring hanging down above the brake pedal. Oh the pain! Why o why?
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Sat Jun 27 2020 01:25 AM
You know what needs to be done, Mac.
A beer is definitely called for.
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Sat Jun 27 2020 02:09 AM
So worst case scenario...if I can't get this mess straightened out, any suggestion for a new wiring harness? As in stock(ish), 350, tilt wheel, AC harness? Fuse block is good. Or should I just require every thing individually? Experts? Anyone? Whits end here...nothing I have found online yet makes me jump for joy.

Three fingers n two ice cubes going on!
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Sat Jun 27 2020 03:31 PM
With any luck you should be able to tell which wires are original and remove the wires which do not appear to be original. If not, I would replace all of the wires with a new harness.
Posted By: coilover Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Sat Jun 27 2020 07:11 PM
Do a search for a 71 C10 wiring schematic. I see Classic Parts has one in color for five bucks. If you can follow a road map you can do wiring. Other than the cramped positions I always liked doing a rewire or install.
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Sat Jun 27 2020 08:05 PM
I think I have all this mess untangled and out. Going to start tracing wires for bad splices, cuts, no ground.
If that doesn't do it...time to get the shovel out and start digging.
Thanks everyone!
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Thu Jul 02 2020 03:49 AM
oh my... that looks like a fun weekend project.
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Thu Jul 02 2020 12:37 PM
Yeah about that...got all that removed. Still have a couple of newish relays hanging that are spliced into the main harness somewhere above the steering column. Ignition wires cut or tapped. I'm getting there but lying upside down under the dash with sweat running down is a pain in the seating area...I asked my wife to " hold my beer", she just snorted and questioned my intelligence. Hummm...

Thanks for the chuckle Rusty Rod!
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Thu Jul 02 2020 03:07 PM
Did you know that the dash insert comes out pretty easily? Just don't yank on it (too hard). I needed to unscrew the speedo cable tho.
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Sat Jul 04 2020 01:40 PM
I did know that Rusty Rod. It would most likely make this a tad easier. I have been trying not to add too much to the different bins of parts and fasteners. The wife has been giving me the " look".
You know how it goes..Thought I would take a break from this and install a cowel trash screen, easy peasy right? Took it all apart cleaned out the dirt, leaves and cottonwood trash. Oh hey, found the A.C. Damper was broke, one washer line was broke, inside the grommet, and one wiper arm lock spring tab was missing. Waiting for parts to but it all back together then back to the wiring. smile
Posted By: mac67 Re: Removing aftermarket cruise control, '71 C10 - Tue Jul 21 2020 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Believe I have all the extras out, Properly soldered and shrink wrapped the obvious bits together. Since it is all accessible the next step will be to inspect every wire for anything missed it nicked, check grounds, continuity check, and hit the power. Fingers crossed...
Once again, Thanks!
© The Stovebolt Forums