Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Eureka Jim Alternator and Ammeter - Fri Aug 17 2018 10:48 PM
If it's possible, how would I wire an ammeter in a charging system that has been converted to 12V and uses a 1 wire alternator? This is for my '48 GMC that had already been converted before I got it and is also using negative ground.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Alternator and Ammeter - Sat Aug 18 2018 12:41 AM
http://static.flickr.com/48/151908987_cd661545de_o.jpg

Attached picture 151908987_cd661545de_o.jpg
Posted By: Eureka Jim Re: Alternator and Ammeter - Sat Aug 18 2018 03:34 AM
Thank you Tim! Just what I needed.
Posted By: Eureka Jim Re: Alternator and Ammeter - Sat Aug 18 2018 08:57 PM
....Tim, just what I needed but electrically challenged as I am I need a little more information. The diagram you provided shows one direct connection from the Positive + battery post to the starter and another direct connection to the ammeter. Does the second connection have to be run separately or can it run from the starter to the ammeter? Thanks in advance! Jim
Posted By: tclederman Re: Alternator and Ammeter - Sat Aug 18 2018 11:07 PM
Excellent question, Jim

12v negative ground.

You can run a big "+ power lead" cable to the starter post, and the heavy wire from starter post to the ammeter.

Some people have taken the guts out of the voltage regulator, and then run the heavy-wire from the starter to a post on the voltage regulator box, and the heavy-wire from the voltage regulator box to the ammeter. That is the "neat-looking solution", using original wires..

Before I read that idea, I use a bolt/nut connection near the old voltage regulator and carefully/thoroughly wrapped it with electrical tape.

Posted By: Eureka Jim Re: Alternator and Ammeter - Sun Aug 19 2018 02:19 AM
I like the gutless voltage regulator idea. That would look nice Another old part I can try to find. It's funny but the previous owner went to a lot of effort to modernize the electrical system while I'm trying to do just the opposite.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Alternator and Ammeter - Mon Aug 20 2018 01:27 AM
I use the gutted voltage regulator trick as well. Nice tip I learned in here a while back. Maybe from Tim.
© The Stovebolt Forums