Stovebolt.com
Posted By: klhansen Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Mon May 03 2021 03:50 AM
Looking for usable or rebuildable rear axle spring mounting pivots. At least one needed. The spring center bolt hole is hogged out on one of mine. It must have been run for a long time with loose u-bolts.
Posted By: 9% grade Re: Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Mon May 03 2021 04:18 PM
KL couldnt you just plate over it?I'm thinking a flat piece with center bolt hole drilled? then weld to existing perch? only 3/16 lift,? Just a thought
Posted By: klhansen Re: Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Mon May 03 2021 09:04 PM
I thought about building up the hole with weld, and may still do that. They should be cast steel, which would be weldable. Both mounts are angled one way (not perpendicular) to the axle housing, so may need to be rebuilt. I have some 2-part polyurethane that I'm contemplating using to do that, but it would be nice to have spares on hand in case I screw something up. blush
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Mon May 03 2021 11:24 PM
Kevin, I'll look. I THINK I have a couple laying around under something.
Posted By: klhansen Re: Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Mon May 03 2021 11:39 PM
Thanks
Let me know if you come up with something.
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Tue May 04 2021 03:59 PM
Kevin, I should have looked before I spoke......I have looked under and over stuff in my shop and still cannot find them. I know they are "somewhere" as I was hanging onto them. I'll be in the shop a while today and will keep my eye out but for now they remain hidden.....I figure my son has shoved them somewhere!!
Posted By: klhansen Re: Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Tue May 04 2021 05:05 PM
LOL, I know how that goes. Thanks for looking. thumbs_up
Kevin - I have a complete rear axle and suspension assembly I removed from my 51-3100. If you're still looking for the pivot brackets, I can remove them and see if they're any better than what you have?
Posted By: klhansen Re: Rear axle spring pivot brackets - 47-53 1/2 ton - Thu May 06 2021 12:23 AM
I'm in the process of rebuilding the ones I have. Mine had some pretty serious rust at the ends of the sleeves, which was part of what was causing them to be off kilter. The sleeves are at least 1/16" smaller than the original 1" diameter, and I'm thinking about having a friend who has a lathe make me a new pair of them. I'm looking at how to mold new rubber in them that includes (or replaces the rubber washers on each side. That's the downside of the original design, with water getting behind the washers and letting the rust get a foothold. Hopefully, my rebuild will be an improvement of the original.

Those things are hard to get off, so I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting them off. but thanks for the offer.
Will these work for you? They weren't too hard to take off, just a bit of PB Blaster and an air impact gun. PM me if you still want them.

Attached picture DSCN0590.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0591.JPG
© The Stovebolt Forums