Stovebolt.com

G506 military bed

Posted By: Grigg

G506 military bed - Thu May 09 2019 07:57 PM

This bed is original to my 1951 GMC 1 ton, though it was obviously surplus when installed in 1951.
Bed was made 1945.

See pictures for condition but I expect it's better than most, not rusty. Some extra holes for taillights and such.
Plywood floor is just tacked on top of original bed wood. I have not pulled it up to look from the top but it feels pretty solid, I have been using it as a truck and nothing has fallen through yet.

Still installed on my truck, happy to remove and load with forklift when sold.

Asking $1500.

Grigg

Attached picture IMG_3391[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3392[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3393[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3394[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3395[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3396[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3397[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_3398[1].JPG

Re: G506 military bed - Tue May 14 2019 05:56 PM

A friend who knows more about these trucks/beds than I do stopped by to look at it yesterday.
Overall he says it is in quite good shape.
I learned:
Tool box door (licence plate bracket) is welded shut, missing part of the box behind it.
The wood, although old, may not be original.
Posted By: wcnut

Re: G506 military bed - Wed May 29 2019 02:25 AM

Based on the pics of the wood I would say it is original but all needs replacing. The bottom of the box inside edge needs to be repaired. Is there a tailgate? Without seeing things up close what`s your bottom dollar? I have a 1940 Dodge National Gaurd 1 1/2 ton that it would fit on. I have to consider what I have to do to it to bring it back for my restoration truck.

wcnut

Re: G506 military bed - Wed May 29 2019 11:59 AM

No original tailgate, it does come with (not pictured) high wood sides and wood tailgate if interested.

Won’t discuss/negotiate price in the open forum, send me a PM when you’re allowed. Asking price is posted, will consider reasonable offers. So far interest and feedback has been good, I’m inclined to stick quite close to initial asking price.

Thanks for the interest,
Grigg
Posted By: wcnut

Re: G506 military bed - Wed May 29 2019 01:04 PM

Interested, what is the location to physically view?

Re: G506 military bed - Wed May 29 2019 08:24 PM

Near Lexington, VA.
If you'd like to make an appointment to check it out send me a PM.

Grigg
Posted By: Tiny

Re: G506 military bed - Wed May 29 2019 10:19 PM

He's got to have two more approved posts before he can PM.

Re: G506 military bed - Mon Jun 10 2019 12:23 PM

wcnut has not made contact.
Bed is still available.
Posted By: retro-roco

Re: G506 military bed - Wed Jun 12 2019 09:01 PM

Your bed appears to be a late war composite bed, and possibly a tipper (dump) model. The toolbox door would seem to indicate a standard cargo model, but the plates at the top of the rear corners seem to be dump model. I'll have to check my manuals later to know for sure. It is a nice straight looking be, not appearing to have been misused or beatup. It does have a few "features" that have been added of the year, that would need to be undone for use on a restoration. The looped wire hooks on the side are original and common late war. The outer most taillights in the corners have been added, as also the running lights right in front of them. You already mentioned the closed up toolbox. Not sure what to make of that yet. I do see what appears to be some significant rust onthe underside, which unfortunately is all too common with east coast trucks.

Overall , a very nice bed. Will hopefully find a home as part of someone's restoration, if you both can agree on a value. Good luck!

Re: G506 military bed - Thu Jun 13 2019 03:08 AM

Thanks for the comments.
The bed was made in 1945.
Welds on the toolbox door could be ground and it reopened.
Truck spent it’s entire life up to 3 years ago in northern Idaho, in my garage thereafter. (I wanted a pretty nearly rust free truck cab, and as you say they’re hard to find around here)
Yes, there is some rust visible underneath, in person you can get a better sense of the shape it is in, quite reasonable in my opinion.
Posted By: Paul_WNC

Re: G506 military bed - Fri Jun 14 2019 12:58 PM

I had the great opportunity to meet Grigg and check out this bed about a month ago. It is excellent condition both in terms of straightness and lack of rust. The bed is most certainly a cargo bed as it was manufactured by the Budd company, they only produced beds for military cargo truck variants in 1940-45. The toolbox portion is missing, but it can readily be reproduced from sheet metal and wood as used originally. When we were probing around, I am not completely certain the wood portion of the composite bed is original as the planks were tongue-in-groove...I am fairly certain the planks should be much like the civilian trucks, straight edges with grooves for skid strips. Overall, a quite nice starting point for someone looking to restore a late production WW2 Chevy cargo truck. Although not 100% accurate from a construction standpoint (ie it has a wood plank bed surface vs welded metal), it could also be used on an early 1939-40 Dodge VC military truck. Gasp, did I really type "Dodge" on a General Motors website!!!

Re: G506 military bed - Wed Jun 26 2019 11:16 AM

Thanks again for the visit Paul, nice to meet you and I learned a lot about the trucks this bed came from.

Grigg

Re: G506 military bed - Wed Jul 17 2019 10:28 AM

Bed still available
As always, open to reasonable offers.
Posted By: ScottBoyd

Re: G506 military bed - Fri Aug 16 2019 07:20 PM

Grigg,

I'm interested but new to forum so cannot yet PM you.

Re: G506 military bed - Fri Aug 16 2019 08:56 PM

Thanks Scott,
Email sent.
Posted By: retro-roco

Re: G506 military bed - Wed Aug 21 2019 05:06 PM

Grigg, Scott,
Hoping you two can get together and help save another one! I love it things come together!

Re: G506 military bed - Wed Aug 21 2019 08:07 PM

If this becomes a done deal please note SOLD in the subject line.

Re: G506 military bed - Thu Aug 22 2019 01:24 PM

Thanks Tiny, the bed is still available.
Scott and I did make contact but nothing has firmed up yet.

Re: G506 military bed - Thu Aug 22 2019 03:22 PM

Hope it works out.
© 2019 The Stovebolt Forums