Stovebolt.com

Fire Extinguisher Recall

Posted By: Tiny

Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sun Nov 05 2017 12:32 PM

Kidde has issued a recall for dry powder fire extinguishers. Some go clear back to the '70s. If you have a dry power extinguisher in your vehicle, home or shop go <HERE> and take the link to find out if yours is included. I discovered both of ours (home and '38) are part of the recall and have free replacements on the way. If you have a small one in your vehicle the print on the label is very small so have a magnifying glass handy. Also the location of the model numbers and serial numbers in the graphics they show on the web site aren't always accurate for all models so be prepared to try more than one number. For example the date code on my small one is supposed to be 10 digits long but was only four (1993). Once I included six additional numbers on the other edge of the label it worked. They were all on the same line but not connected as a single number. They have a phone number to speak with a live person if you need help. Also Kidde makes extinguishers under other brand names so if your's isn't a Kidde, check it anyway.
Posted By: dh53

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Tue Nov 07 2017 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info Tiny. I also have an affected Kidde fire extinguisher. Went through their simple process, and supposedly a new one will arrive at my door in about 2 weeks. We'll see...

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Tue Nov 07 2017 06:07 PM

Pretty important info. It would be a bad day if you needed it and it didn't work. There are probably a lot of us with them in home, the garage and the vehicle. If you don't have at least one in each you need to get one.
Posted By: klhansen

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Tue Nov 07 2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiny
Pretty important info. It would be a bad day if you needed it and it didn't work. There are probably a lot of us with them in home, the garage and the vehicle. If you don't have at least one in each you need to get one.

Agreed. I just registered 3 recalled ones at work and two at home (one in the daily driver truck and another for the camper). Have a couple of others that are not affected.

For the older ones without the long date code, but just a 4 digit date, you can just omit the date code entry. If you put in anything other than 5 digits it chokes. One of mine was 1991 and another 1994.

I've had to use a fire extinguisher on a van that had an engine fire going down the road. 3 or 4 of us pulled over to help out. They were unloading their stuff to save it from a complete loss, but we got the fire out before the whole van went up.
Posted By: Cosmo

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 10 2017 03:39 PM

Just submitted two for the recall, Thanks to Tiny!
Posted By: SWEET

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 12:21 PM

Just wanted to bump this topic back to the top. I checked all my fire extinguishers last night and 2 out of 3 were effected. New ones on the way.
Posted By: 2-Ton

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 12:36 PM

Thanks Chris!
I checked mine and don't have any Kiddi fire extinguishers.
Never trusted such an important tool with the name Kiddi.
I have used about four over the last 40 years.
Saving other folks cars.
Never got reimbursed for any of them.

One time I needed one and it did not have any pressure in it.
Unscrewed the handle and shook out the powder, to put the fire out.
So save the old ones, just in case you need a backup plan.

Don

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 12:51 PM

You might want to check them anyway Don. They produce other brand names, that are part of the recall, as well.

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 01:03 PM

Thanks Tiny, I will today.

Don
Posted By: capnduane

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 05:48 PM

I have two in my 55 pickup, both were recalled. I am waiting on the replacement extinguishers. Anybody received theirs yet? And what do they want you to do with the old ones?

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 05:59 PM

Got my first one today. It comes with a return label to send the old one back. A three pound fire extinguisher is a whole lot smaller today than it was in 1993.
Posted By: capnduane

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 06:06 PM

Makes me wonder how a company can survive such a recall. Millions of units to replace.....

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Nov 17 2017 06:30 PM

Dang it!

I had this in mind.....

Rocket Skateboard

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sat Nov 18 2017 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tiny
Got my first one today. It comes with a return label to send the old one back. A three pound fire extinguisher is a whole lot smaller today than it was in 1993.

I got two the other day. Didn't come with any paperwork telling me to return the old ones.

Unfortunately they sent larger units than the one I had in the camper, so it won't fit in the bracket. I need to shop for a replacement that will fit. Probably going to be a different brand than Kidde.

Originally Posted by SWEET
Dang It!

I had this in mind.....

Rocket Skateboard

Looks like fun, but I doubt a 2 lb dry chem would get you very far. A lot more pressure in a CO2 extinguisher.
Posted By: Paul_WNC

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sun Nov 19 2017 01:36 PM

Checked all of the fire extinguishers that I have, and found that 2 are under the recall. The recall website was pretty easy to navigate and submit a claim. The Kidde website mentions that they will pay to have the defective units returned but the instructions were indefinite. Perhaps we are to send them back in the box the new ones came in like Netflix envelopes?...we shall see.

Anyway, guys check out your fire extinguishers. In the heat of the moment, one doesn't need any surprises.

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sun Nov 19 2017 04:10 PM

That's what they did with mine. The enclosed instructions said to put my old one back in the box the new one came in then place the enclosed prepaid label over the old label and give it to FedEx.

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Mon Nov 20 2017 05:33 AM

Maybe they thought the return freight from Alaska wasn't worth it in my case, but they didn't say to toss them out or anything else. ohwell

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Mon Nov 20 2017 05:33 AM

Found a recalled one in the wife's car and should be getting a new one in about a week.
Think I'll keep the old one as a back up though.

Got an old boat hull back in the field and it will have something in it also.
Hope to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks
Don
Posted By: Grigg

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Tue Nov 28 2017 01:12 AM

I had 2 of them, one from 1988, other 1992. They came in the house when I bought it.
New ones on the way.
Posted By: dh53

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Tue Dec 05 2017 12:46 AM

Just got my replacement today (took about a month). Same instructions as Tiny, put the old one in the shipping box, put on the enclosed return label, and call fedex to pick it up from the house. I called fedex and after using the phrase that is in the instructions, he already knew exactly what I was calling for. He said that multiple calls before mine were also returning fire extinguishers.
Posted By: delux54panel

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Tue Dec 05 2017 01:22 AM

I guess my Pyrene one, filled with carbon tetrachloride doesn't qualify?
Posted By: HandyAndy

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Dec 08 2017 09:38 PM

I gave Kidde a couple phone calls regarding this recall. The first person I spoke with was as helpful as she could be; however there wasn't a serial number on my fire extinguisher and she was unable to authorize a replacement. I called again and explained my case...........

The new fire extinguisher arrived today via FedEx and the old one is on its way back to Kidde!

Thanks Tiny!! thumbs_up

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Dec 08 2017 11:25 PM

I sent Kidde message via their website over a week ago asking what to do with the old ones (ship them back, take them to a local FE shop), or ?) since they didn't send me a return label. I still haven't heard back. ohwell

Maybe I should try Sweet's Rocket Skateboard thingy. grin

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Dec 08 2017 11:38 PM

I would assume that they don't want them back if they don't provide you with return instructions.

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sat Dec 09 2017 07:50 PM

That would be my guess, as shipping cost to and from Alaska is expensive,but you'd think they'd at least say so.

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Fri Feb 02 2018 01:46 PM

I received my two just before Xmas. They both came with return labels I’m guessing to reuse the bottles in future returns.

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sat Feb 03 2018 02:13 PM

Yesterday I finally rounded up the two boxes, labels and headed to FedEx. The lady behind the counter stops me just as I walk in the store to tell me they cannot accept my fire extinguishers because they are considered hazardous material.

She said I need to contact the manufacturer and arrange a pickup.

This is getting more complex by the day......
Posted By: 46Sparky

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sat Feb 03 2018 03:26 PM

Try a different contractor; store front shipper for FedEx and others. I dropped off two and the lady there said they average at least one a day of these returns.
Posted By: PapaJ

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sat Feb 24 2018 11:07 PM

because they are considered hazardous material
aren't they supposed to stop hazards after they start?
Posted By: Cosmo

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Sun Feb 25 2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by SWEET
Yesterday I finally rounded up the two boxes, labels and headed to FedEx. The lady behind the counter stops me just as I walk in the store to tell me they cannot accept my fire extinguishers because they are considered hazardous material.

She said I need to contact the manufacturer and arrange a pickup.

This is getting more complex by the day......

Same here! Even though the two boxes that I dropped off at a storefront package place will end up not twenty feet behind those two FEDEX drones behind the counter!!!

Re: Fire Extinguisher Recall - Thu Mar 01 2018 01:27 PM

In my feeble opinion, I think they just want them back for liability reasons.
Say you use an old one, to try and save a life. It does not work, so you sue Kiddi.
Got two new ones and they ride right next to the old ones as backup.

Don
© 2019 The Stovebolt Forums