Stovebolt.com
Posted By: NorCal52Suburban Stock front seat relocation. - Wed Jun 09 2021 12:23 PM
So I have my stock front seat mocked up to see how everything will fit, and I must say it is really close to the steering wheel.

I am 5'9" tall and would really like to move my seat back to make it more comfortable to drive.

I know I can just drill another set of holes but can anyone post pics, tips or tricks on relocating their stock front suburban seat.... Thanx!

Attached picture A439B9F5-E758-49AE-98A3-1693919A9AF9.jpeg
Posted By: MiraclePieCo Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Mon Jul 19 2021 07:38 AM
I used nutserts (aka rivnuts) to relocate the mounting holes.
Posted By: NorCal52Suburban Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Mon Jul 19 2021 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo
I used nutserts (aka rivnuts) to relocate the mounting holes.

Thank you, never even thought about "Nutserts"
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Mon Jul 19 2021 05:42 PM
Hopefully with some reinforcement? Asking a nutsert to hold a seat in plain ol' sheet metal is asking a lot.
Posted By: MiraclePieCo Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Mon Aug 09 2021 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by MNSmith
Hopefully with some reinforcement? Asking a nutsert to hold a seat in plain ol' sheet metal is asking a lot.

Not sure how to respond to that slightly veiled challenge to my engineering abilities, other than to say that although the nutserts have been holding perfectly for three years now, if they ever fail I'll make sure you're the first to know.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Mon Aug 09 2021 05:55 PM
Not a challenge at all. They are designed for a specific purpose. Light duty fastening. I don't believe holding a seat to the floor would be considered light duty. I've seen plenty used in the wrong application and seen them fail. And the friction from bolt to nutsert corrosion will 99% of the time overcome the compression friction applied when installing these things. No matter if the "light duty" nutsert version or the serrated "heavy duty" version. But I'm not here to tell you how to build your truck. Just sharing my experience.
Posted By: MiraclePieCo Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Wed Aug 11 2021 09:20 AM
Light duty? TCI uses nutserts for body mounts on their high-performance aftermarket chassis. They've been holding my Model A body on its TCI frame for over 20 years now.
Posted By: Fibonachu Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Wed Aug 11 2021 06:34 PM
Nutserts into a 5/16" thick structural member are a completely different animal than ones going into sheetmetal.

If you look at the test strength from Rivnut (in my experience the best nutserts), the sheetmetal tests are done on a panel that is supported on both sides 1/2" from the centerline of the hole. It is not until they get to 0.125" plate that they test the strength against just the mounting surface.

A fully compressed nutsert will have a loading surface that is an annular ring that is a percentage of the diameter of the bolt. It usually ends up being slightly smaller than a standard diameter washer (as opposed to a fender washer). I have not seen your specific setup, so I cannot comment on its structural stability.

As a generic recommendation to someone looking to move a mount, I would say to look at how the stock mount is supported and at least duplicate that. On my truck, the underside of cab where the seat bolts go in is a much thicker section of metal around the bolt. This could be replicated in another location by putting in a backing plate. The purpose of the backing plate is to spread the load out across a larger surface area. The strength of the metal is correctly measured in lb/in2, so increasing the area where the load is applied will reduce the likelihood of structural failure under load.
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Thu Aug 12 2021 02:22 AM
Lets not let this conversation get too cheeky. The real test of whether or not a nutsert will hold or fail is a hard collision that I hope never happens to anyone. I use a 3/16 steel strap and 2" washers when I relocate seat mounts on sheetmetal.
Posted By: MiraclePieCo Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Thu Aug 12 2021 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by Rusty Rod
I use a 3/16 steel strap and 2" washers when I relocate seat mounts on sheetmetal.

That won't work for panel truck seats; depending on where you locate the seat, due to baffles inside the pedestal the inside is inaccessible with one's hands to install nuts/washers. I know because I tried it first before I resorted to nutserts.

A wreck would not pull my seat mounts out because my seatbelts are mounted to the floor behind the seat, not the seat itself. And simple math will tell you that the cumulative strength of eight 3/16" nutserts is greater than two 1/2" seat belt bolts.

Originally Posted by Fibonachu
Nutserts into a 5/16" thick structural member are a completely different animal than ones going into sheetmetal.

The original bolts are in sheet metal.

TCI Model A frames are only 1/8" wall, nowhere near 5/16. TCI was originally criticized for using nutserts too, but time has proven them secure.

This is another case of guys warning against something they have never actually done themselves. I've done it, it's worked flawlessly for three years with two-up in the seat and a bunch of horsepower shoving us against the back. Yeah, were both lightweights; maybe those with heavy loads might not want to try it ;-)
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Thu Aug 12 2021 06:02 PM
This is another case of guys warning against something they have never actually done themselves.

If applied to me, this would be an inaccurate statement. And I've already said what I had to say.
Posted By: Fibonachu Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Thu Aug 12 2021 07:03 PM
This is another case of guys warning against something they have never actually done themselves.

I have torn many rivnuts out of sheetmetal and lived to tell about it, thus why I am far more cautious now. That said, I have given my answer to the OP question. As with anything on the internet, your mileage may vary.
Posted By: TrknGMC Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Fri Aug 13 2021 12:43 AM
I’m 6-2 and have no issues with my suburban seat in the stock mounting position with the seat all the way back. Just offering my take on the matter.
Posted By: MiraclePieCo Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Sun Aug 15 2021 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
I have torn many rivnuts out of sheetmetal and lived to tell about it, thus why I am far more cautious now.

Not possible to "tear out" - my seat belts are bolted to the floor itself, so there would be no force exerted on the nutserts in the event of a crash.

Originally Posted by MNSmith
If applied to me, this would be an inaccurate statement.

So you actually HAVE installed your seat frame to the pedestal with nutserts? Details please...

Every day I safely drive my panel truck proves the validity of properly installed nutserts and the falsehood of their critics.
Thank you gentlemen, and I appreciate the moderators' patience as this debate has managed to remain civil.
Posted By: MNSmith Re: Stock front seat relocation. - Sun Aug 15 2021 06:03 PM
The thread is turning argumentative. Locking thread.
© The Stovebolt Forums