Stovebolt.com

49’ Burb side glass removal

Posted By: Suburban Lou

49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jul 27 2018 05:39 AM

Hello all, just starting to remove my side windows for new window channels and gaskets
Question, does the the outer molding hold the rubber gasket in? My rubber is really weathered and hard. I want to make sure before trying to remove the outer molding; it’s seams pretty thin metal
Are there any tips to removing thirds without damaging the molding?
Posted By: marzach

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jul 27 2018 11:20 AM

** Lou, The outer window molding does not hold the seals/gaskets. They are for appearance only. Be sure to remove all the inside trim and all seals before trying to remove the outer trim. The outer trim is pretty fragile so use extreme caution getting them off. If you damage one finding a replacement is just about zero. Very pricey if you do find one. Just finished replacing all the seals and glass in a 53 Suburban. Took me a week to get it done.
Posted By: MNSmith

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jul 27 2018 03:57 PM

Here is my write up for install. Just go in the reverse order for removal. Or start at the bottom of the page, if you will. AD Suburban Side Window Install

Here is another tip. If you have damaged or do damage that outer trim, and good chrome shop can restore the shape for you. At least mine said he could.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sat Jul 28 2018 06:42 PM

Got the rubber seals out they were glued in I think
A little warning with heat gun

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 04:05 AM

Mark, does the felt channel on run on three sides because of the stationary glass?

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 04:50 PM

The felt channel runs around the whole circumference.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 07:48 PM

Mark, if you don’t mind can you send me a pic of the final configuration
The pics in the right up are dark

Thanks

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 09:16 PM

My black primer makes it hard to see anything. Lemme try.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 09:23 PM

Think of it this way. You build this window in layers. The first layer is the stationary glass and the 3/8"x3/8" rubber, because the stationary glass doesn't fill up the whole opening horizontally. So you need that 3/8" rubber to fill the gap. The next layer will be the channel. Sure, a sliding glass rests in that channel, but something needs to fill that whole circumference of the window opening. There is no other material to do that except for the felt channel. All those layers are held in with the inner window trim.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 09:33 PM

http://www.bunchobikes.com/windowinstall32.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/windowinstall33.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/windowinstall34.jpg
http://www.bunchobikes.com/windowinstall35.jpg

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 09:33 PM

That's the felt all the way around.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 09:34 PM

Hey mark
The pictures are dark in the write up
Can you send me some of the final assembly

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 09:37 PM

Ok the layers explanation helps
Did you bend the channel slightly around the edge where the stationary glass ends in the middle and press the channel against the flange in the body?

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sun Sep 16 2018 11:59 PM

No. The channel rests against the stationary glass and the 3/8" rubber. It has to be straight as an arrow so the sliding glass can slide open and closed. You can see the rubber in picture #32 and picture #34 sandwiched between the channel and the outer trim.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Mon Sep 17 2018 12:01 AM

You're in the high desert?
Posted By: wbrowne

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Thu Jan 10 2019 10:27 PM

Hello Mark , I'm working on a 1953 GMC Suburban and have a couple of questions regarding the sliding rear side windows please.
(1) Where did you purchase the "vertical whiskers" strip that is attached to the fixed window ?
(2) Where did you purchase the 3/8"x3/8" rubber strip that fills the gap between the sliding window channel and the outer trim ?
Thank you sir.
Whitman

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 03:16 AM

1 an 2: https://www.classicparts.com/1947-54-Suburban-Side-Window-Weatherstrip-Kit/productinfo/01-505/

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 10:37 AM

** Above Classicparts shipping fee $75.00 ???? ***

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 03:56 PM

Wow, that doesn't seem right. It fits in a smallish box.

Wow again! When I bought it in 2012, it cost me $150 for the parts, $15 for shipping. Maybe one should call ahead and double check the shipping prices!

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I contacted Classic Parts regarding the shipping costs. They quoted me "oversized" UPS $90.00 from their company in Missouri to me in Massachusetts ! Wow!! They said the weatherstrip ships in a long straight box. The weatherstrip kit costs $199.95. Don't think I can afford that shipping cost. I'll try contacting Steel Rubber and see what they have for the Suburban side windows.
Posted By: tclederman

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 05:21 PM

If you have a Fastenal store near you, ask Classic Parts if they would ship through Fastenal.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 09:28 PM

I believe Chev's of the 40's also had a kit.
Posted By: klhansen

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 09:28 PM

$75 is just nuts. big_eek
Their picture indicates the stuff coiled up, and would likely fit in a USPS Large Flat Rate Box for about $20.
They refused to ship anything at all to me in Alaska, even though it weighed less than a pound and would fit in a small box. Got the standard "we don't ship to Alaska" nono
You might ask them if it can be coiled and shipped normally. I've had stuff shipped to a freight forwarder and paid them to ship it to me and it was way more stuff than an "oversize" shipping tube. I've also bought a 5 ft length of stainless steel tubing and it was shipped to me for way less than $75.

Here's the info (I think) from Chev's of the 40's

Window Channel Kit With # 4070069 Rubber - Quarter
Item # 4070069C 47^54
Weighs 54.3900lbs.

This is a window channel kit with quarter window rubber (#4070069). Fits Suburban. Complete for two windows

The 54.3 lbs kind of blows me away, though. Must be the windows as well for that kind of weight, unless the channels and rubber are made out of lead. headscratch

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Classic Parts said they would not coil the weatherstrip, because they "don't receive it that way." "It only comes in straight lengths". Hence the $90.00 shipping fee. They explained that their illustration is an old photo and out of date. Thanks for the info on Chev's of the 40's. I'll contact them.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Fri Jan 11 2019 10:56 PM

** Jim Carter has the same kit, I would give them a call also.

Re: 49’ Burb side glass removal - Sat Feb 16 2019 07:31 PM

All, sorry for late update
This job is actually pretty easy after learning after the first window

Thanks to those that coached me along
© 2019 The Stovebolt Forums