Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Kaliforniaman Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 10:30 PM
Pulling the gas tank on my 53' 1/2 ton, and I came across what appears to be a fuel petcock valve. All of the diagrams I have seen for the 47-53 pickups have the fuel line connecting to a rubber hose that enters the passenger compartment from the underside. In the pictures it looks like this line connects to a steel line which enters that tank at the top. However the valve connects to the fuel tank at the bottom. I have included a picture, please note that 1/2 inch bolt at the bottom is stripped and the lever broke off when I attempted to turn it. Thought I'd ask about it before I remove the whole thing, and bypass it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaliforniaman/4153731374/
Posted By: magfarm51 Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 10:48 PM
Not aware of a factory fuel valve. I would guess that was an add on from a previous owner, perhaps there was an aux. tank installed at one time?
Posted By: Jimmie D Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 11:07 PM
Allen I have to disagree with you up to a point. I don't know if all the 1/2 ton trucks came with a shutoff valve or not. However reading a great number of posts on the subject, It is my understanding most of them did come with a shutoff valve. It is a shame that kaliforniaman broke the original valve. They are hard to find, and the repops are not quite the same. If I don't have my info 100% someone that can speak to the valve issue will chime in. Jim.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 11:08 PM
A shut-off valve was supposedly used through 1953, The location of the fuel line into the tank changed in 1954.

Posted By: Jimmie D Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 11:15 PM
Hi Tim,
Just to double check, so you like me think 1/2 tons did come with the valve from the factory? Jim
Posted By: jockbolter50 Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 11:20 PM
My '50 was an 'unmolested' truck when I got it.
There was a brass fuel petcock.
I had more luck than Kaliforniaman though, I managed to get mine freed off.
I just need to get the tank cleaned out now!
Posted By: Kaliforniaman Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 11:27 PM
JB,
I have not got a mirror up high enough to look, was the petcock valve threaded for the tank line, or is it part of the line which connects to the tank? If it is threaded, I should be able to twist-off the whole valve. However, if that is the case I am not sure what the stripped bolt would be for.
Posted By: wv_hillbilly Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Wed Dec 02 2009 11:34 PM
my '50 has ths valve, there is a brass nipple (about 3" long) between it & the gas tank, the valve is made like a cross, the top goes up to the tank, bottom has a cleanout plug, the shutoff is on one side, rubber fuel line connects the other side to the metal fuel line.

here's a pic, http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/2877/4121/19692060138_large.jpg
Posted By: Kaliforniaman Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 12:23 AM
Then the stripped bolt is the clean-out. Seems like I should replace it. Jimmie D. is correct, I have not found an exact replacement. I did find some made for motorcycles:
http://www.golanproducts.com/fuel_valves.html
Posted By: Scott Danforth Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 01:58 AM
My 53 has the valve. You can have mine if you have the time to wait until I get back up to Wisconsin as I am converting mine to a diesel.

However my grandfather was in the plumbing business for a long time and owned a hardware store for a while in the 50's-70's. I have seen the vary same valve in the hardware bins in his storage shed before he pasted away.
Posted By: twotone Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 03:09 AM
When I bought my '53 1/2 ton GMC a couple weeks ago it came with a new gas tank with sending unit installed. When I pulled the seat forward to get a look at the old tank I noticed that the fuel line does not come out of the top of the tank like it does on the new tank. I climed under the truck and saw the fuel petcock just like wv hillbilly's. And it works good. So what year does my new tank fit?
Posted By: Jimmie D Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 03:34 AM
I will jump back in here, and say that most of the vendors carry a replacement valve. It is not the same as the original. If you want an original replacement try the swap meet. In the 5 years I have been on Ebay I haven't seen an original show up. Also like most hard to get parts they come with a premium price. As an example I purchased a NOS heater switch from a stovebolt member for 40 bucks. A week later the same switch on ebay sold for $75. So if you can deal with a member here, you generaly get a better price, and it gives another guy a few bucks to spend on their truck. Jim.
Posted By: bowtietim Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 03:42 AM
My 1951 chevy 3100 has the same shut off valve.Jim carter sells new ones,there not exactly the same but serves the same purpose.If you feel you need the original one,post an add in the parts wanted section.I'm sure someone will have an extra one.
Posted By: Cletis Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by twotone
When I bought my '53 1/2 ton GMC a couple weeks ago it came with a new gas tank with sending unit installed. When I pulled the seat forward to get a look at the old tank I noticed that the fuel line does not come out of the top of the tank like it does on the new tank. I climed under the truck and saw the fuel petcock just like wv hillbilly's. And it works good. So what year does my new tank fit?

The new tanks are made to use the '54 and later sending unit with a top pick-up. They will fit in your '53 but you'll have to run a line to the new sending unit.

I'f you can save the old tank, I'd use it.

Some of the new tanks have a nut on bottom. From what's been posted here, that nut has bolt threads and the valve will not mate to it.
Posted By: 51 GMC 100 Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 06:14 AM
My 51 GMC has the same valve, it jst unscrewed from the tank, I beleive it's 1/8 pipe thread, I sand blasted it and cleaned it with carb cleaner to rmove any sand or junk that was inside , looks brand new, I ordered the new hose from The truck Shop for $10,,,
Posted By: truckernix Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 01:36 PM
The big trick working with the original valves is trying to get the valve mechanism to seal. They look like they had some sort of packing, like an old tap. The purpose of the valve was to allow a shutoff of the fuel for work on the line.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 01:51 PM

If no original-style shut-off valve is available, I'd try to find an all-brass valve (maybe from Weatherhead-Eaton).

What are the sizes of the fittings?
What are the angles (straight or 90 degrees)?
Posted By: 51 john Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 03:13 PM
I have a 90% original 51 3100 5 window and it has the brass petcock on the bottom of the fuel tank . I have never tried to close this valve so I don't know if it even works wave
Posted By: Kaliforniaman Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone! I have not checked a plumbing store. However, with the part number that Tim provided I found it on-line at the Obsolete Chevrolet Parts Company in Georgia.
www.obschevy.com

Thanks,
Steve
Posted By: magfarm51 Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Dec 03 2009 06:54 PM
This is a great site, I learned something new.
Posted By: Chevykr Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Mon Apr 23 2018 06:59 PM
I have a 1949 3800 (1 Ton) and I had a petcock valve on my tank and I ended up taking it out because junk built up and clogged the valve so I wouldn't get gas to the engine. I went and got solid brass pipe and elbows. So I no longer have a valve under my tank. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Mon Apr 23 2018 07:27 PM
9 year old thread. 🛠
Posted By: tclederman Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Mon Apr 23 2018 07:28 PM
Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and your carburetor (maybe at the carburetor)?
Posted By: jkvincent Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Tue Apr 24 2018 01:22 AM
Steve,
my '50 3100 5 window also has one like yours.

HA!!!...9yrs old,
I didn't notice, I went right to page 3 to post, ...oh well.
Posted By: 53 One Ton Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Tue Jun 09 2020 03:02 AM
I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to shut the fuel off on my '53 while I worked on the fuel system - it has no petcock, just a 90 with a 5/16 barb. I checked my '49 one ton parts truck and I saw that it has a fuel petcock below the tank. I don't know if it was factory - many hands have been in there. Tried it and it still works. Rather than risk taking that old stuff apart and making matters worse, I left it alone and found a nice little 5/16 shut-off at Canadian Tire. I installed it just after the tank outlet on the 53. I still reek of fuel while typing - but for the last time.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Jun 18 2020 10:24 AM
Well I'm just setting here being stupid this morning. Many of you have heard me whine and grumble etc. This rant at my self is because I put five gallons of regular gas in my 54'. Six weeks later have to clean out everything. Truck ran like *#@%. Sewing machine six weeks ago to a black fog and 4 of the six cylinders alternately waiting their turn to ignite. The fuel line is setting right there would a high quality pet cock valve work if I put it in front of fuel bowl? That way if I'm in a pinch if I can't find a blue pump at a WAWA on the road trips the antiquers go on in sunny damp Florida I can park it back in the barn and run all the gas in the bowl out.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Jun 18 2020 12:01 PM
Hello, Doc,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Have you searched through the OLD ONLINE CHEVY MANUALS? [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
That should give you plenty to read.

I use regular gas in all my old truck. I have never had problems.
My gas tanks were stripped and coated inside and out.
All my trucks had/have original style gas filters and rebuilt original Rochester or GMC carburetors

I use/used gas treatment over the winter
- in upstate NY - unheated garage - negative temps in Winter and 90+ temps in the summer
- in NC - heat & AC garage - between 50 degrees and 90 degrees
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Jun 18 2020 12:09 PM
Doc, I like that idea. I run all of my yard equipment out of gas when I stow them for more than a few weeks and I also run non-ethanol gas. I do wonder if a mechanical fuel pump can take pumping up against a dead head for as long as it takes to run the bowl dry.

We need our experts to chime in.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Fuel Petcock Valve on a 53' - Thu Jun 18 2020 10:36 PM
Phak 1,you are so right. At 2 1/2 to four pounds max pressure I'm sure it would ruin the fuel pump. Rats! I would have to be at the tank . Probably ruin the pump also, rats x 2 tclederman thank you twice. Your recommended site will help in keeping me out of my wife's hair. I related this post to her she said a long thank you. Ed
© The Stovebolt Forums