Stovebolt.com
Posted By: retiredlafd backwards odometer - Fri Dec 24 2021 10:40 PM
I have a 41 GMC. Stock 4 speed. Got it all back together and took it for a drive. The speedo doesn't work and the odometer runs backwards........ What did I do wrong???
Posted By: 52Carl Re: backwards odometer - Fri Dec 24 2021 11:05 PM
Did the speedometer ever work properly before?
Posted By: klhansen Re: backwards odometer - Fri Dec 24 2021 11:22 PM
Speedometer drive gear in backwards in the tranny taillshaft?
Posted By: retiredlafd Re: backwards odometer - Sat Dec 25 2021 12:07 AM
Speedo cable was not hooked up when I got truck. I have had the trans out and the tail shaft off. Didn't know I could put it in backward.
Posted By: Fox Re: backwards odometer - Sat Dec 25 2021 04:49 AM
Are you driving in reverse, you showoff? 😉
Posted By: Jon G Re: backwards odometer - Sat Dec 25 2021 05:56 PM
Honestly most of the time I've seen this is because somebody at some time installed the wrong speedometer drive gear. Some point one way and others point the opposite way.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: backwards odometer - Sat Dec 25 2021 10:51 PM
If you disconnect the speedometer cable at the transmission and look at the end of the gear that drives the cable, it should be turning clockwise as the wheels turn in a forward direction. Jack up one rear wheel and either have someone spin the wheel by hand or let the engine idle in 1st. gear. If the gear is turning the proper direction, try the same check by disconnecting the speedometer cable inside the cab. There might be a speed change gearbox somewhere between the transmission and the dash that is assembled incorrectly.
Jerry
Posted By: 52Carl Re: backwards odometer - Sun Dec 26 2021 03:32 AM
Is there any indication that the speedometer has been rebuilt? The last time I had one open, it looked like that it is possible to reassemble it incorrectly. I do not know if that will make it go backwards.
Posted By: Pre '68 Dave Re: backwards odometer - Sun Dec 26 2021 01:04 PM
Is the speedo cable attached to the drivers side?
If I remember correctly the driven gear can be installed to come out either side of the transmission. If the cable is attached to the passenger side it will turn the speedo backwards.
Posted By: retiredlafd Re: backwards odometer - Mon Dec 27 2021 12:58 AM
Thanks, Ill try this first. I is on the pass. side
© The Stovebolt Forums