Stovebolt.com
Posted By: WarEagle1 Can't be too careful - Wed Jul 14 2021 11:50 AM
So I get home from work yesterday and the front right tire of my '65 C10, that was sitting in the garage on smooth concrete, had a massive blowout. It was an old tire. New ones are coming at some point in the restoration.

I thought how fast the truck must have gone down, and how many times I had been under there without jackstands. Won't happen again.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Can't be too careful - Wed Jul 14 2021 12:22 PM
Karma can sometimes be good if you're paying attention when she's trying to tell you something. Looks like you're paying attention.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Can't be too careful - Wed Jul 14 2021 05:54 PM
Oooou, Get in the habit that I have ALWAYS had. I throw out tires that people seem to be able to always get many more miles than I would care to go. Count your blessings. Doc.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Can't be too careful - Wed Jul 14 2021 07:58 PM
New tires are "cheap life insurance", no matter what they cost up front!
Jerry
Posted By: fixite7 Re: Can't be too careful - Sun Jul 18 2021 01:29 PM
War EEagle 1 A freind had a 55up on cocrete blocks just tightened the last starter bolt kinda rocked all of those blocks gave way it ended up pretty well at floor levl ! He had earlier been all over in under it !!!
Posted By: klhansen Re: Can't be too careful - Sun Jul 18 2021 07:44 PM
concrete blocks are something I'd never use for jack stands. They break way too easily. I cringe every time a friend props up his boat trailer tongue on a stack of them. He doesn't even stack them the strongest way (core holes vertical).
Posted By: tclederman Re: Can't be too careful - Sun Jul 18 2021 07:55 PM
What about solid concrete blocks? (see image below 4x8x16)

Attached picture 4x8x16 solid concrete block.jpg
Posted By: Wayne67vert Re: Can't be too careful - Sun Jul 18 2021 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by tclederman
What about solid concrete blocks? (see image below 4x8x16)

I can split a solid concrete block with a couple of good whacks with a chisel and hammer. I wouldn't use one to support a vehicle.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Can't be too careful - Sun Jul 18 2021 11:19 PM
I put a 4"x8"x16" piece of 1/2" (or 3/4") plywood on top of each block (and/or each layer of blocks).
Posted By: klhansen Re: Can't be too careful - Mon Jul 19 2021 12:31 AM
The solid concrete blocks are better than the open core ones, but they're still brittle.
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Can't be too careful - Mon Jul 19 2021 01:04 AM
Back to the OP ...

We had one of our dump trucks at work just blow a tire sitting parked in the yard last week. As you can see, plenty of tread left. Just blew. Older tire ... So don't let tread wear be your only guide.

Attached picture 20210706_142513[1].jpg
Posted By: tom moore Re: Can't be too careful - Mon Jul 19 2021 08:34 PM
Somewhat related - I was filling a rear tractor tire with air. Was an old Ford 800 series - finished putting air into it - went around the other side to do the same - and all of a sudden KABLAMM! my ears hurt, and the sound echoed across the road and down aways. Went back to inspect - and the steel rim was missing a chunk and it was twisted at one spot and the tire was well, not able to hold air anymore. It sounded like three shotguns went off at the same time....goes to show - old rims filled with calcium chloride rust from within. I had acquired the tractor about a month prior and didn't know the maintenance history of it.

Lucky to be typing this story today - I cant imagine being bent over next to it when it let go and exploded sending a chunk of steel across to the other side of the tractor shed.
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: Can't be too careful - Tue Jul 20 2021 02:04 AM
Back when I was running a roadside service truck and doing tire service on big rigs, I had what I called a "Chicken Line"- - - - -a 25 foot air line with a clip-on chuck and a ball valve and a pressure gauge on the other end. Even with a tire secured inside a safety cage I would hide behind something sturdy while airing up tires. For a really sobering thought, figure out how many square inches are in the sidewall of a big rig tire, multiply by 120 PSI, and calculate how many TONS of force are pushing out against that bead ring!
Jerry
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: Can't be too careful - Tue Jul 20 2021 10:03 PM
Back in 1965 had tire/rim explode on a friend of mine. Can't describe the condition of his jaw/teeth but to this day you know something went terribly wrong......nuff said.
© The Stovebolt Forums