Stovebolt.com
Posted By: ArmyMike Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 02 2021 05:29 PM
What (if anything) would originally have been used to cover the tailgate chain? Without some sort of cover, seems like the chain's pendulum movement would scratch the paint on the body. Currently using a section from a bike innertube but would like to find out what the factory would have originally used.

Attached picture IMG_20210702_122108.jpg
Posted By: buoymaker Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 02 2021 06:49 PM
I believe it was canvas. Canvas will rot and 50+ years later there is no evidence left.

Rubber and plastic need a hole at the bottom of the loop to let the water out.

Bike innertube is what I use.
Posted By: ArmyMike Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 02 2021 07:13 PM
Canvas...I never thought of that but it makes sense. Now that you mention canvas I can recall lots of similar uses for canvas on military vehicles to provide some protection for or from moving parts exposed to the elements.

I just had my "as seen on TV" expanding garden hose blow out on me. It is a soft rubber hose protected by a loose woven nylon cover. Now that the hose is ruined I may salvage the nylon cover to use on my chains. I'm happy to send you some if you want to try it out on yours.
Mike
Posted By: Bill Trotter Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 02 2021 07:28 PM
I see you have a trailer hitch on your truck. Could you post a picture of how it's made and attached. You said it's a 37 and that's what I have and have been thinking about building one
Thanks, Bill
Posted By: buoymaker Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 02 2021 07:36 PM
I remember seeing worn canvas covers and the chain scratching the paint.
I guess after time the truck got old. Fast forward in time, we are fixing today what was neglected back then.

Thanks but my wife and I ride bicycles for exercise. Changing out worn tires includes new tubes. I have enough old tubes to last me. Thanks again.
Posted By: ArmyMike Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 02 2021 09:49 PM
Bill,
Trailer hitch pics attached. The PO who restored the vehicle built and attached it. Looks like he built it from scratch. It is welded directly to the chassis cross member just forward of the rear bumper. Happy to send more detailed pics if you need. I probably should have PM'd you but couldn't figure out how to attach photos that way.
Mike

Attached picture 20210702_163055.jpg
Attached picture 20210702_162936.jpg
Attached picture 20210702_162954.jpg
Posted By: ArmyMike Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 02 2021 09:58 PM
P.S. Interesting story on that trailer hitch; I probably wouldn't even own my '37 if it weren't for that hitch.

I was getting ready to be reassigned from the Pentagon to Fort Hood, TX, so I went to search Craigslist to find a used trailer to move some things myself. I typed "trailer" into Craigslist's search box and, because the truck had trailer hitch, the truck popped up. I had always wanted a '37, but I figured it was for when I was retired/much older, etc. and truth be told, I probably would have never gotten around to it before I died. But the truck was only an hour away, was in good drivable condition, and the price was great, so I talked to my wife and she agreed that since I'd been such a cheapskate on myself our entire marriage, that she wouldn't object. The next morning she had second thoughts, but I told her, "Sorry Honey, I've already arranged to meet the guy today." Needless to say, I've had a bad-**** '37 Chevy truck for the last 11 years now and I love it.
Posted By: dunfire Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Sat Jul 03 2021 11:33 AM
This same subject was discussed on the VCCA chat site. I bought some rubber tubing from Jim Carter years ago and it works ok but I am going to go to an Upholstery shop to see about getting some canvas ones made.
Posted By: Barnfind49 Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Sat Jul 03 2021 01:47 PM
I used some hydraulic hose cloth sleeve covering that I rubbed into the concrete floor under my foot and roughed up and faded the color some so they look like they are aged correctly with the patina of the rest of the truck. Im happy with them.
Posted By: Nuts&Bolts Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Sun Jul 04 2021 02:34 AM
Take a look at the sleeves they use for covering hydrolic hoses they look like they would work and last forever...
Posted By: hbarbee Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Sun Jul 04 2021 11:55 PM
Mike,

The hitch looks good. That should certainly come in handy.

On another subject, I see that you have a nice restored 1937 Texas plate on the truck. However, in the picture it appears to be white on black. The plate should have been done as ivory on black. If interested, you can go to this site to research the history of Texas plates...

http://www.thebolthole.com/texas.html

Regards,
Hurst
Posted By: ArmyMike Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 09 2021 02:21 PM
Hurst,
Actually it is ivory on black, I guess the pics lost some fidelity.I researched it very thoroughly beore i restored them because i was afraid an uninformed clerk at the dmv would summarily disapprove them, so I had the specs and the regs all printed up ready to defend my application. But I forgot how friendly most small town folks are and the clerk just said "Ooh, how pretty!" when she saw the plates and promptly processed my paperwork.

I've attached a new pic with a white board at the top to try to highlight the ivory of the letters.

Attached picture 20210709_091358.jpg
Posted By: hbarbee Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Fri Jul 09 2021 08:39 PM
Yes, that pic looks much closer to ivory. I just noticed the color since I have had quite a few restored . I only use the year plate on the front because I get the antique plate from the DMV for the rear so I don't have to get it inspected.

If you ever want to have one restored, I recommend this guy in TN as he does immaculate work, just takes a long time...

https://www.finishyourplates.com/

Regards,
Hurst
Posted By: fixite7 Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Sun Jul 18 2021 01:42 PM
ArmyMike In the late sixties I think they had some rubber ones with a drain hole that with use would break in two and just be a mess on your chain but it did help the paint some. On my homemade bed made some flat iron ones that hide in the crack. Those work great!!
Posted By: '37 barn find Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Thu Jul 22 2021 01:09 AM
My '37 has what I believe are the original covers. They appear to be some kind of light canvas.
Posted By: ArmyMike Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Thu Jul 22 2021 04:00 AM
Can you send pic of them?
Posted By: '37 barn find Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Thu Jul 22 2021 06:24 AM
next time I go by that garage I'll get pic. Next day or two
Posted By: '37 barn find Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Sun Jul 25 2021 09:42 PM
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/33325/filename/chain.jpg[/img]here is pic

Attached picture chain.jpg
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Tailgate Chain Sleeve 1937 1/2 Ton - Tue Jul 27 2021 09:24 PM
Currently have 3/4 inch heater hose on original 1954 3100. put a slice on the bottom and drains fine. For those looking for extreme stock replacement check with the good vendors. Doc
© The Stovebolt Forums