Stovebolt.com
Posted By: 53&Me Threads or no threads? - Thu Jun 17 2021 03:45 AM
Hey all, I'm working on my '53 Chevy 3600 front leaf springs and have a question, On the front leaf spring rear hanger the leaf spring goes inbetween two hanger mounting points and the eye bolt goes throught it all to hold the leafs in place, my question is, are there meant to be threads in both sides of the hanger mount or just the inner side?
Posted By: tom moore Re: Threads or no threads? - Thu Jun 17 2021 12:09 PM
inner side.
Posted By: Joe H Re: Threads or no threads? - Thu Jun 17 2021 12:17 PM
Does this help? http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0585.htm
Posted By: klhansen Re: Threads or no threads? - Thu Jun 17 2021 05:58 PM
That figure (probably generic just to show parts positions) shows a fully threaded bolt at the rear, along with a threaded bushing, but on my '51, the fixed spring mounts (rear on the fronts and front on the rears) use a smooth bushing and bolt that threads into the inner side of the spring mount with a jam nut on the inside.
Posted By: KEVINSKI Re: Threads or no threads? - Thu Jun 17 2021 07:28 PM
Here are some of the parts pictured if that helps

Attached picture 611DEF87-4F92-4E5F-B054-418BD35E755B.png
Posted By: 53&Me Re: Threads or no threads? - Fri Jun 18 2021 01:21 PM
Inner does make sense, as the threads are only on the inner side of the bolt and the rest of the eye bolt is a constant thread height diameter. When I pulled my eye bolt out I noticed what looked like faint threads in the outer mount and was worried that the mount was worn out because "the threads were worn off" but it does appear that the eye bolt just left behind threads marks as it came out. that's a relief. thanks everyone for coming in. have a great weekend!
© The Stovebolt Forums