Stovebolt.com
Posted By: leroy888 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 05:43 AM
Hello everyone, is there any value in a running 216 engine, 3spd toploader, rear end, and chassis?
Posted By: olezippi Re: 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 11:54 AM
If your looking to sell, post it in the "Truck Parts For Sale" forum.
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 01:21 PM
If you are only asking value I will leave this thread going. As soon as it turns to a for sale situation I will delete the thread.
Posted By: tom moore Re: 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 02:04 PM
I can chime in and say that the 3 speed top loader seems to be the preferred transmission for these 1/2 ton restorations. Seems like there is more interest in those than the 4 speed used at that time. I can testify that there is a difference and a weight savings and I like my 3 speed over the 4 speed. I see those go from 75-300 dollars...depending on the variables of the market, seller and purchaser.

I acquired a complete 46 frame with a 261 on it, and a 4 speed for 300.00 a few years ago. It needed a ton of work from the hubs to brakes, to the motor - but it seemed affordable to me at the time. I definitely recovered my costs selling parts from it that I didn't need.

Funny how it is - as an assembly you might get less for it, but as individual parts you may get more. So it may be true after-all that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. See what offers you get, and let the market dictate the value.
Posted By: leroy888 Re: 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 02:38 PM
Thanks for the help
Posted By: Mike B Re: 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 05:58 PM
Selling it for anything over scrap price and it's a win for you. Around here scrap cars and trucks are bringing .05 cents a pound with a deduct of $25.00 for each truck tire on a rim, so a 2000 pound Chassis with six tires would cost you $50 out of pocket ($100 in Scrap - $150 in tires = $50 out of pocket).

Mike B smile
Posted By: klhansen Re: 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 07:40 PM
If you had to scrap it, removing the wheels and tires and selling them separately would get you back in positive territory, given Mike B's calculation. It could be even worse as a 46 chassis isn't going to weigh 2000 lb if you scrapped it with the wheels and tires.

I'm sure there would be interest here on StoveBolt parted out. Post an ad in the swap meet section. Be aware that you're required to post a price there (at least a starting price).
Posted By: tom moore Re: 46 chevy truck chassis and driveline - Tue Feb 23 2021 08:38 PM
Agree about posting it in the 4 Sale section
© The Stovebolt Forums