Stovebolt.com
Posted By: GMCanada9430 Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 02:59 AM
Hi Folks,

I am looking at a 1950 GMC 9424 (Canadian 3/4 ton) with 3 speed. Copy and paste the link below for pictures. It runs, drives and stops (we went for a ride). It is 100% original and complete, including a matching numbers block. The odometer says ~6000 miles which I don't really believe, but if it had rolled over 99,999 it would not likely be on the original block...

It is nearly dent free. It does have serious rust in the driver side cowl inside and out and some on the fender. Some rust in passenger side and the floor has some rust. Nothing crazy but would need replaced. Cab corners are very good with a bit of rot right at the bottom. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

My plan would be to get it mechanically sound and find an exterior product to stop the rust so I can drive it and enjoy for now. Then frame off restore and paint in the future.

My question for you folks is what would you pay for this? I picked up my 1951 9434 1-ton pickup for about $2200 CAD a year ago and it is complete and in similar shape, but with a seized engine. This fellow wants $6500, which personally I think is way too high. What do you think the market value is for this truck?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/129PW3iEByIFGk_buejnuuC4H-I1A4FyK?usp=sharing

Thanks,

James
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 03:08 AM
$3000 to $4500 in my neck of the woods.
Posted By: KEVINSKI Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 04:38 AM
If that’s 6500 Canadian then it would be about 4960 US dollars.At least you’re have seen it run and drive and most in that original shape are parked and have sat for years .
Posted By: Fox Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 04:47 AM
I agree with Martin. 3000-4500 CDN in my neck of the woods. He’d likely get nearer that price if it were a 1/2 ton. Aren’t you supposed to start your price low anyways? I’d start bartering with him.
Posted By: Spotbiltxo Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 06:27 AM
That truck is in fantastic shape for its age!. Body is straight and mostly solid. The wiring in the engine bay is near pristine, so I’m tempted to say the mileage may be correct. If not, it’s still a low mileage truck. I’d jump all over it if it was in Texas! Offer him $5K and don’t budge. $5,500 would be my best offer. These trucks are getting pricey, so don’t expect him to give it away.

Good luck!
Posted By: Barnfind49 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 11:14 AM
The guys in my area all are asking $15k for the same truck or even a 1/2 ton thats all filled with cheese in the cab corners. I just laugh when I hear that price. I know they will still be sitting there years from now haha. Last one I saw was a green 50 gmc150 that i have to admit was fairly rust free but was dented and smashed and bed was falling apart and “he knew it was worth 15k”. I just giggled to myself. I will admit they are getting harder to find cheap but some people are not realistic. Thats the same guy that would dump 20k into it then ask 35k. Im like uhhh it dosent work like that.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 11:48 AM
Value is so subjective. A vehicle that would bring $3K in Kansas will likely bring $8-9K on either coast. The bottom line is it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If the widget seller is happy with what they got out of it and the widget buyer is happy with what they paid it's a good deal.
Posted By: Dusty53 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 01:20 PM
Not sure if you are saying $6500 Canadian or US, either way decide what you are willing to pay and make an offer. I'd pay $4500 US for that truck, recondition the brakes and driveline and drive it till it broke, fix it and drive it some more. These old trucks are getting scarce.
Posted By: GMCanada9430 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 01:39 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I am in Alberta Canada where I feel these trucks are not really that scarce. But in this condition they certainly are. Again it does have some significant rust in the floor and cowls, but as Spotbiltxo points out it really is immaculate mechanically and very straight. Everything works including the horn and lights. Fox I agree with your valuation exactly. I offered him $3000 CAD to start off the negotiation and he got stuck at $6500 CAD. I believe it is one of those cases where he may have overpaid for it and he is determined to make money on this sale... I think I will counter at $4000 and see where this thing goes!

Hope he is not watching this forum......
Posted By: Tiny Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 03:05 PM
If you walk away you might leave him your business/courtesy card. If it's overpriced it won't sell and he might give you a call later.
Posted By: GMCanada9430 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 04:07 PM
That's the backup plan Tiny. He does not currently have it listed so we have no concept of what others in the market might pay for it.

Real quick before we wrap up this thread. I always wanted 4 on the floor and this is 3 on the tree. Which is more fun to drive?
Posted By: olezippi Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 04:43 PM
I'd do what Tiny said but tell him your looking to buy something within the next couple weeks to kind of give him a little bump to sell it. 4 on the floor would be my 1st choice.
Posted By: Lightholder's Dad Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 06:34 PM
My "51 is 3 on the tree, all my other trucks are 4 on the floor (or in the case of the COE, 4 on the doghouse). I love driving them all, don't pass on the truck because of the shifter. Maybe for other reasons but not that.
Kent
Posted By: Barnfind49 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sat Aug 29 2020 07:07 PM
I wanted 3 on the tree when i was looking for a truck. I like it because it actually has that older feel compared to everything newish being floor shifted. Its also nice with 3 people in the truck.
Posted By: Spotbiltxo Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Aug 30 2020 02:04 AM
A three speed gives you more leg room in the cab, and three can ride comfortably.
Posted By: Smangy Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Aug 30 2020 04:40 AM
It's a good deal. Offer $6000 or asking price. How bad do u want it?
Here in ontario it would sell fast. They are hard to find running.
Dont let him list it. It will sell and u will lose.
Posted By: WE b OLD Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Aug 30 2020 09:10 AM
For what my 54 was back in 1983 I paid a little to much but in the same condition today it was a steal. What I am saying pay what you fell comfortable with and don't look back.
Posted By: Stove Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Aug 30 2020 01:03 PM
It seems way too much to me, but I have no idea what vehicles actually sell for. Just asking prices. Here is a 1-ton that is maybe comparable and they are asking $13,000

To me, the value of a 3/4 ton should be slightly less than a 1/2 ton. In my opinion your offer is fair. I like the shifter on the column but have no experience with the floor shifter.
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Aug 30 2020 02:55 PM
Floor shifters are more fun. Whoever is sitting in the middle has to shift.
Great for kids to be a part of the driving experience.

Don
Posted By: GMCanada9430 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Aug 30 2020 05:06 PM
I have come to terms with the column shift. I think it could be fun.

I agree it is priced too high. The market out in Ontario could support a price like this given the sellers usually have to ship them out from the prairies. But not here in Alberta. I am going to slow play this one and encourage him to come down in price. If he doesn't, so be it.

Thanks all for the good conversation!
Posted By: KEVINSKI Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Aug 30 2020 05:25 PM
Just for fun here is my truck purchased from Manitoba in the early 80,s in Ontario back in the 80,s there’s trucks were mostly like a unicorn to find because they were already sent for scrap.

Attached picture 411EA052-1B11-4FBE-A99C-FB625C5F9F96.jpeg
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Would you buy this truck? - Mon Aug 31 2020 01:59 AM
As to the condition of the truck and the asking price, whether there are holes in the cab corners, inner cowls and floorboards large enough to sling a dead cat through, or just some rust in those areas, the repair process is just as tedious and time consuming to complete. Its kind of like being "sort of pregnant".
The engine runs and the brakes work, but would you bet your life on them right now?
Personally, I'd keep looking. The price isn't right and there is too much rust repair to be done, not including what you cannot see yet.
Posted By: GMCanada9430 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Mon Aug 31 2020 03:27 AM
I suppose I already bet my life on the brakes by going for a ride in it haha. Its funny you say that though, I have been thinking more about exactly that, the rust issues being worse than I can see. It may need an entirely new floor pan and new outer, inner to outer and inner cowls. And based on the exterior it has seen more than its share of moisture over its 70 years.
Posted By: J Lucas Re: Would you buy this truck? - Mon Aug 31 2020 04:16 AM
If it was the model of truck that I was seriously looking for I'd probably go for it. You may not find a better one anytime soon. It looks pretty much unmolested. Those are getting harder to find.

John
Posted By: jremig Re: Would you buy this truck? - Fri Sep 18 2020 06:15 PM
When it comes to rust, good luck finding anything of that age without it unless the vehicle has been garaged its whole life and if that was the case you wouldn't be seeing that price tag on it. I was lucky enough to get my 52 with a 54/55 series front sheet metal for 650.00 U.S. back in the early 90's but even at that I still had to replace the rusted out areas.
Posted By: Frank50 Re: Would you buy this truck? - Fri Sep 18 2020 08:05 PM
Have you bought it yet? What are you waiting for?
Posted By: MiraclePieCo Re: Would you buy this truck? - Sun Sep 20 2020 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by Frank50
Have you bought it yet? What are you waiting for?

Haha, if he's like me he will pass on truck after truck, looking for the perfect one, until he finally gives up and buys one half as good for twice the price.
Posted By: hardshell Re: Would you buy this truck? - Tue Sep 22 2020 02:09 AM
I bought mine 10 years ago with obvious rust (and holes everywhere). I had no idea that I would bring it back to better looking than new. i paid $700 for a rust bucket with everything there and one wheel that would actually roll when loading it. 3 years and $25,000 later, i have a nice truck to enjoy. If you like how it looks, it drives and seems to be reliable. It may be wise to meet in the middle between your price and his and take that thing home !

Jim
© The Stovebolt Forums