Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Spotbiltxo Hose hanger?? - Tue May 26 2020 08:18 PM
Anyone know if this is an original part or an aftermarket find? I've got my hoses attached to the support rod with a zip tie. Saw this and thought I'd like to upgrade if I knew what I was looking for.

Thanks

Attached picture Truck hose holder_LI.jpg
Posted By: 49 3100 Re: Hose hanger?? - Tue May 26 2020 10:08 PM
You order MEH 156 from Jim Carter--or another manufacturer. JC'S are real sharp---Bill
Posted By: Spotbiltxo Re: Hose hanger?? - Tue May 26 2020 10:23 PM
That one on Jim Carter's site is a "butterfly" type. Looks original. The one in the picture I found looks more like a C-clamp that's been rubber coated so no sharp edges. Anyone recognize where it came from?
Posted By: klhansen Re: Hose hanger?? - Tue May 26 2020 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Spotbiltxo
Anyone know if this is an original part or an aftermarket find? I've got my hoses attached to the support rod with a zip tie. Saw this and thought I'd like to upgrade if I knew what I was looking for.

Thanks
That's not an original hose support. The one that JC sells looks like the original from my truck. The hoses route in the recess in the inner fender and a single screw between the hoses holds the clip down.
Posted By: Tommy Re: Hose hanger?? - Tue May 26 2020 10:26 PM
That looks like a hose clamp from a later model vehicle.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Hose hanger?? - Wed May 27 2020 12:15 AM
Sorry about the delay, I thought I had already posted the images, below.

They are the original-style A-D heater-hose holders for the inner fender.

All of my 1954 trucks had that style holder, zinc-plated/galvanized - not black.

Attached picture meh156-1_1947-1955_heater_hose_re.jpeg
Attached picture meh156-2_1947-1955_heater_hose_re.jpg
Posted By: Spotbiltxo Re: Hose hanger?? - Wed May 27 2020 12:33 AM
Thanks Kevin and Tim. It appears that the piece you have on your trucks is the original way Chevrolet held the heater hoses in place. I always wondered why mine were just left to slide around. Never knew that my butterfly hose holder was missing. Anyway, since nobody has chimed in on where I can get a holder like in the pic I posted, I think I'll post a request of a butterfly type in the Swap Meet section. Maybe someone has an old one laying around they would part with.

Thanks!
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Hose hanger?? - Wed May 27 2020 12:37 AM
Originals were likely cadmium plated like so many other silvery gray parts were on these trucks (like the hood hinges). Since cadmium is a sacrificial metal, designed to protect the underlying steel for a period of time (like however long it took to drive your new truck home from the dealer smile ), you don't usually see much of the original cadmium left after 70 years.
Posted By: klhansen Re: Hose hanger?? - Wed May 27 2020 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Since cadmium is a sacrificial metal, designed to protect the underlying steel for a period of time (like however long it took to drive your new truck home from the dealer smile ), you don't usually see much of the original cadmium left after 70 years.
That far, eh? wink

Spotbiltxo, Jim Carter sells them (repop of the original). PN is in one of the posts above.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Hose hanger?? - Wed May 27 2020 01:19 AM
Jim Carter is the source of the photos that I found : posted above. [oldchevytrucks.com]
Posted By: Brad Allen Re: Hose hanger?? - Wed May 27 2020 01:36 AM
Here are a couple pictures of NOS heater kits with the butterfly bracket.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/46083253641/in/album-72157631868452754/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129444438/in/album-72157631868452754/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/46073005822/in/album-72157631868452754/
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Hose hanger?? - Thu May 28 2020 01:10 AM
Well, either what I said, or I am totally wrong.
Based on Brad's NOS kit, you should place your money on the latter.
Carl
After a while, crow begins to taste just like chicken.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Hose hanger?? - Thu May 28 2020 09:13 PM
Oh......that's where it goes. I have one carefully wrapped up in a small box for over 40 years. Took everything off and had parts left over, do you think it may be factory? My Harrison radiator has a rubber tube along the top and going down held in place by a brass 1/2 round clip. Could it be maybe an aftermarket overflow to a tank like on modern autos like the last 65 years or so. Yes I'm old. Doc
© The Stovebolt Forums