What jack you’ve got in your cab when you are on the road
What necessary,essential tools and parts in cab to
drive
3100 chevy1/2T 54 235cui

Amitiés Alain
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 10:57 AM
Hello, Alain,

I carry a jack like this. [amazon.com]

But, I think my set also has two jack stands.
Here is a set: jack and two stands. [amazon.com]

I also carry two 2"x12" pressure-treated wood bases (to be placed under each jack stand).

A pair of these might be handy - jack/stand/base as one piece? [amazon.com]
Posted By: Alainfrenchie54 Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 11:37 AM
I have that jack at home
Something Little bit lighter
And other Essential tools and parts pix
Posted By: Just Mark Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 12:38 PM
This is an interesting thread to me. I carry wrenches to change a tire and a tire but don't actually have a jack. I like that idea. Curious what else guys carry.

I also carry a good fire extinguisher. Mostly because I built my truck and I don't trust the mechanic.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 01:15 PM
Yes - fire extinguisher and wheel chocks

Here is my check list for trips (especially Truck Shows): parts to carry on 1954 truck trips (shows):
I have always needed lists - I need them more as I age.
I now need/have ways to find/remember where my list is.

☐ assembled/tested/adjusted points/condenser/cap distributor
☐ ignition wires
☐ various bulbs?
☐ 2 qts of oil (spout/funnel)
☐ a few clean rags
☐ jack and tire changing tools
☐ two jack stands
☐ two or 4 2"x12" blocks of wood for under jack stands
☐ two wheel chocks
☐ iPhone and/or GPS
☐ long and longer USB cables
☐ iPhone/iPad holder
☐ 12v power source - Wagner beefy 12v/240v power unit (USB ports and jumper cables)
☐ long and longer USB cables
☐ jumper cables?
☐ medium cooler for beer/soda
☐ folding chair
☐ accordion chair
☐ 2 tire-stops (2-rolling stops)
☐ first aid kit
☐ work gloves
☐ baseball cap
☐ "Australian" hat
☐ raincoat / rain suit
☐ rain boots
☐ EasyPass
☐ portable radio from garage (check battery)

☐ medium cooler and ice packs
☐ water, soda, beer, wine, whisky?

☐ fill gas tank
☐ check oil level (and color)
☐ check air in tires (jack up and spin/rock front wheels - bearing adjustment)
☐ check air in spare tire

☐ State Farm Insurance card - copy
☐ Hagerty Insurance card/phone-number
☐ AAA card - copy

And, two phone numbers to contact a relative/friend on my behalf.
Posted By: cmayna Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 03:21 PM
A small bottle jack and tool bag.
Posted By: Rusty Rod Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 03:56 PM
When I'm in my own area I usually just carry the stock jack, a fire extinguisher (in all my vics, since they are cheap insurance). When I'm on the road, I'll fill up an ammo box with (std or metric) tools, maybe a small hydraulic jack.

Most important, I carry my AAA card.

When I'm dragging a trailer, I keep a spare hub with me. I also toss in a few 4x4's or 4x6's to use as a trailer jack,, just pull the trailer tire up on them and the other axle is hanging.
Posted By: baldilocks Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 04:43 PM
Great thread! I'm definitely going to replace my old bottle jack with a small floor jack. Nice to be able to jack the truck up without having to crawl under it, and so much safer.
Posted By: coilover Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 06:20 PM
When BW and I go on a long trip I take my "junkyard tool box" which is a 50 cal ammunition box packed with tools, my AAA card, and a cell phone. No spare, jack, or extra parts except for a points style distributor which has never been used. Going to eliminate the extra dizzy but keep the tool box to help OTHER broke down old rides.
Posted By: Wally / Montana Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 09:33 PM
I built the biggest box possible using one 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood so I have lots of room. A bottle opener (obvious reason), a gas can with non-ethanol (my gauge doesn't work), jumper cables (I jumped neighbor's Honda), tow strap (I towed a Model A home), gasoline additives (Sea Foam, etc.), fire extinguisher, fan belt, tool box, 1 quart oil. The shovel is in case I slide into a snow bank in the winter or dig someone else out.

You made me think about my scissor jack shown. I don't know if it will get high enough to get a wheel off the ground. I better try it sometime.

Attached picture Turah1.jpg
Attached picture Box 1.jpg
Posted By: Alainfrenchie54 Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 10:09 PM
Summary
Extinguisher
Points condenser cap distributor ingnition wires
iPhone
Very Very long and longer usb câble :to be towed ?
A small bottle jack,Daniel i guess
Tools box
Wheel chocks
Clean rags
Oil
Coulant
dangA toothed belt (water pump and alternator)
Bulbs
Flash Light
Visa card
In France you must have a yellow réflective jacket and warning triangle
But the most important
Toilet roll
Tim j’apprécie ton humour
Great thread
Perhaps we forgot something ?
Posted By: 52Carl Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 10:26 PM
I keep it simple, like cmayna, only a little different.

A bottle of Jack and a tool box.

I pull over, lift the hood, drop the tailgate to display the open toolbox, crack the bottle and wait for someone better prepared to help me.
With this old truck, the wait in not generally long.
Posted By: Lightholder's Dad Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 11:20 PM
Carl, I like that . Not a bottle jack but a bottle of Jack (Daniels)!
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 11:23 PM
thumbs_up

Mine would be a bottle of George Dickel Whisky (and a bottle of Famous Grouse Whisky, too - you can't be too prepared)?
Posted By: Wally / Montana Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 03 2020 11:33 PM
Mrs. Wally and I toured the George Dickel distillery in 1971. Glass bottles were broken now and then and there were floor drains to dispose of the product!
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Mon May 04 2020 12:02 AM
I am jealous, Wally,

"Handmade the Hard Way" (never been there - Tullahoma)
and
"Famously Smooth" (been there - Perth)
Posted By: TPR57C Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Mon May 04 2020 12:36 AM
2 Ton Don King and I toured the Jack Daniels distillery last year I’m not sure what he had in the toolbox but we had a good time
Posted By: 2-Ton Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Mon May 04 2020 01:14 AM
WOW!!
Did this topic change and how did I get drug into it?

I carry a pretty full tool box all the time, even in our late model rides.
Fire extinguisher and a tow straps are a given fact!

Don
Posted By: cmayna Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Mon May 04 2020 01:57 PM
Oh and since I got my ciggy lighter working, I also carry a usb cord. Oh and also a fire extinguisher & AAA card.
Posted By: Alainfrenchie54 Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Tue May 05 2020 09:22 PM
I forgot
Iron wire
soap
A friend said to me
you carry half parts of your truck ,you break down
And it’s the other half you need
Alain
Posted By: Barnfind49 Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Tue May 05 2020 10:03 PM
Spare tire and tools, zip ties, tie wire, a few screw drivers and i always have my leatherman charge and life preserver on me.... 👍
If i were to take a longer trip I might bring a few more zip ties haha.
Posted By: miraclepieco Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 07:17 AM
Everything you carry in your cab becomes a lethal projectile in the event of a crash! My tool kit consists of and can of Fix-A-Flat and a cell phone to call my insurance company's Roadside Assistance number.

Attached picture 50543027_2118031608253080_1575120620914475008_n.jpg
Posted By: miraclepieco Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Barnfind49
Spare tire and tools, zip ties, tie wire, a few screw drivers and i always have my leatherman charge on me .....and pistol 👍.

Felons' greatest supply of illegal weapons is stealing them from homes and cars of legal gun owners - 700 guns stolen from cars in just Nashville alone this year. Imagine how many that equates to nationwide! Legal gun owners are supplying the nation's criminals with weapons!

https://fox17.com/news/local/nearly...8jIGkLlkSMmv5U0WdgCIE4j4_EcMxfqVSeDSZpdc
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by miraclepieco
Everything you carry in your cab becomes a lethal projectile in the event of a crash! My tool kit consists of and can of Fix-A-Flat and a cell phone to call my insurance company's Roadside Assistance number.
Your warning is good advice - thanks.
My trip kit is carried in a large, strong, covered, plastic bin behind the third row seat in my Suburban.

My trip tools/kit are carried in the storage bin under the floor opening under the seat bottom-frame in my pickup.

In neither case would the tools become lethal projectiles (I think/hope).

Of course, you referred to carrying tools/etc "in your cab" becoming lethal projectiles. I agree.

I store my cell phone in my pocket, or in a belt-mounted carrying-case, or on the seat/floor. I will hereafter not carry it on the seat. Thanks for the warning.

I think a GPS unit dashboard suction mount would fly loose in a crash? I use a floor console mount - it could become a "projectile" in a crash.

A friend of mine carries a waterproof heavy-duty, locked trip kit/box securely bolted to the bed floor.

Your warning is good advice - thanks.
Posted By: Paul_WNC Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 11:27 AM
This is what I carry in the bed of my 41 truck. The ammo box is filled with assorted hand tools. I have another matching box with oil, gear oil, antifreeze and gas.

Attached picture IMG_7246.JPG
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 11:28 AM
Wow ... Good thing we are into *trucks* Some of you guys are carrying around an impressive tool collection.

I've learned the secret to traveling light ... have one of you guys, with your "service trucks," as a wingman!

shake [elvis]
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 11:44 AM
Paul,
Is that box bolted to the floor/bed?

John, "impressive tool collection"?
I bet you have most of those tools in your garage?

We just get "double duty" out of our tools (and, we get to feel like we are prepared for problems on the road).

My first-used tools that I will use if I have problems on the road is to use the free towing (on a flatbed/trailer) provided by two insurance policies (car & old truck) and by AAA. thumbs_up
Posted By: Justhorsenround Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 12:45 PM
I personally have seen the aftermath of items stored in the truck bed unsecured. Spare tires amazingly fit right through the back window. Loose tool boxes the same. I will say that I never saw a fatality from items stored inside the cab. Many from unsecured drivers/passengers though. Strap it all down folks.🛠
Posted By: Wally / Montana Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 02:01 PM
I carry a lot of stuff (see above) but in 28 years as my daily driver, my '48 has not run 4 times. It had dead batteries 2 times and was out of gas twice.

Wrst Miraclepieco's Train-Chevy picture: I cross railroad tracks coming and going to a fishing spot. I stop, look, look and look before proceeding.
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 04:57 PM
Ha! I see what you guys are doing. Pack so much tools and spare parts with you that there is no room for the wife. Sneaky...
Posted By: klhansen Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Wed May 06 2020 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gord&Fran
Ha! I see what you guys are doing. Pack so much tools and spare parts with you that there is no room for the wife. Sneaky...
LOL
Back when I worked for my dad during the summer when school was out, my first task was to clean out the passenger side seat of the '48 GMC shop truck so I had a place to sit when we went out on jobs.
Posted By: J M Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Thu May 07 2020 03:58 AM
You are better off to have it and not need it, rather then need it and not have it.
Jim
Posted By: Vino Ron Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sat May 16 2020 07:45 PM
There is very important item missing from your list. "Toilet paper" 😄
Posted By: Wally / Montana Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 17 2020 03:42 PM
I was carrying around these and didn't even know it. They had slid down from the seat to under the seat back. I found them when I replaced the upholstery.

Attached picture From Under the Seat Back.jpg
Posted By: cmayna Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 17 2020 04:02 PM
I do carry a small canvas tool bag full of hand tools for.......just in case. Have yet to use it while on the road.
Wally,

Why three pairs of glasses?

Reproduction canvas tool bags are available, if you are interested.
Here are other styles of canvas bags. [google.com]
Tim,

I put a pair of readers on the seat. I sit down and there's a gap between the seat and the back. Glasses slide in the gap and to the floor. It happened 3 times I guess. Tools also can disappear that way. The one adjustable wrench is the beryllium/copper alloy type which is supposedly sparkless.
Wally,

I completely understand the accumulation of the "readers".

Are they progressively stronger (over the years)?
HelloBolters
Hi Tim
I’m proud my topic still alive
I think the most important things do not forgot is
The confidence in yours trucks. Or not🤔⚙️🔧🔩
Following the different threads
I project to fix a trunk rear in the bed it’s more safe
I know yet ,toilet paper might be lethal projectile
For me it’s time to get in bed

Amitiés Les Ricains
We can't let it die. S' a great thread.
Twenty years ago my wife and I took the 51 1-ton with camper (9,000 lg. gross) to Alaska from Seattle via the Cassiar Hwy rather than the Alcan. We got as far north as the arctic circle - 500 miles of gravel road north from Dawson City, Yukon and return, then to Eagle, Circle, Fairbanks then to Anchorage. I took the usual set of wrenches and screwdrivers etc. and for spare parts I took a fuel pump, water pump, fan belt, front wheel bearings, spare spring leaves front and rear, various light bulbs, a head gasket set, stop leak and a spare radiator cap. I may have forgot about some things.

Between Moose Junction and Dawson, it started running rough and lacking power, like it does when one gas tank goes empty and it's time to switch tanks. So I switched tanks and the problem went away. Whew! But only about about 5 gallons left on that tank and 50 miles to Dawson. The one thing I hadn't thought to bring was a spare fuel filter and that was the problem. Switch back to the big tank for down-hill runs, then back to the cab tank for the flats and up hill. We made it. The NAPA store in Dawson City had a filter so I swapped it out. The old filter appeared to be plugged with white goat hair. I kept it for a souvenier. We'd bought gas last at the bulk plant in Whitehorse. I used none of the spares I'd brought in 6,000 miles of mostly gravel road.

We passed several modern rigs sitting by the side of the road. We helped where we could. One had tire trouble (helped mount the spare), one had a mouse hole eaten in a radiator hose (duck taped it), one was waiting for a computer board to come from Vancouver (shrugged my shoulders) and one had run out of gas 20 miles short of the one truck stop on the way to Inuvik, another 250 miles north (siphoned 5 gal from the big tank).
Ok folks, I just deleted two posts that had nothing to do with tools. Please stay on topic.
All my extra stuff goes here (I try to keep the cab clear).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/49255427702/in/album-72157631867396207/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/49255235776/in/album-72157631867396207/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/48374593956/in/album-72157631866985745/
Nice, Brad

Is the "cooler" in the bed (3rd photo) bolted/attached to anything (to keep it from sliding around)?
Yes it has a bolt through the center and padded feet to keep it in place. Removes quick if I need the room. The cooler is a cut down (not by me) 1939 Westinghouse Jr. Ice.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Fri May 22 2020 08:14 PM
thumbs_up
Posted By: Alainfrenchie54 Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Fri May 22 2020 09:50 PM
Brad
you give me a good idea for storing tools outside the cab
I’ve got an old yellow us jerricans that I will transformed into a tools box fixed at the same place you do .it’s a lost place
More safe
Alain
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sat May 23 2020 03:08 PM
I have looked but I have not found where the jack is stored in my 54-3100, under the seat is my best guess. The bed has a special factory slot for the handle, anyone know? Doc
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sat May 23 2020 03:50 PM
Depending on the 1954 3000 model, in an under-seat/underfloor compartment.
I'd put it in a heavy canvas bag [amazon.com].

Supposedly a 30" x 19" x 6" tool box was under the seat was standard equipment.
Has anyone seen one?
Posted By: Lightholder's Dad Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sat May 23 2020 04:55 PM
Tim,
I may be wrong but I recall Chevrolet literature referring to the space under the seat cushion as a "tool box". I am not aware of an actual box or something extra to store tools. I keep the jack, handle and fire extinguisher under the seat in that space. This is all sitting on an old towel to keep things from rattling. I like your heavy canvas bag idea.
Kent

P.S. I found it. Page 21 of my 1951 Truck Data Book Model 3104 Tool Box--Under Seat, 50" x 19 1/2" x 6"
It is listed for all the models with a cab as standard equipment.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sat May 23 2020 05:10 PM
You beat me to it, Dad

As you know, under seat storage spaces/areas are different sizes in several different series/sized trucks.
Posted By: EdPruss Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 24 2020 02:21 AM
My '54 GMC has a perch for the jack behind the driver's left elbow in the corner behind the seat. Space for tools under the seat.

Ed

Attached picture IMG_0901.JPG
Posted By: DES57 Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 24 2020 02:36 AM
My ‘57 3200 has a spot behind drivers seat too in corner of cab. I just use my truck as a daily driver locally, never more than 20 miles away, so I don’t carry a spare or jack. Just keep my wife on speed dial. I plan to make a bracket to keep a fire extinguisher in that spot.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Tools and parts in cab ? - Sun May 24 2020 10:37 AM
DES57,

If you are referring to a lower rear cab corner, be sure the "weep hole" (drain "eyelet"/opening") is clear/open.

That location is a convenient location. Easily accessible, when something is needed.
© The Stovebolt Forums