Stovebolt.com
Posted By: jayhawkdoug New gas tank from LMC - Tue Mar 17 2020 12:24 AM
I bought a new tank for my 49 Chevy. When I got it home I noticed the hole in the bottom was 1/2 inch. The fuel pet cock tube from my original tank is 1/4 inch I believe. I stopped by Lmc today to talk to them about it. I was told that this is a known issue but they have no answer other than I need to buy some kind of adapter. Anyone experience this and what did you find to fix this problem. Thanks
Posted By: 78buckshot Re: New gas tank from LMC - Tue Mar 17 2020 12:30 AM
First thing is to determine the thread type and size for the original fitting, then the thread type and size for the new port in the tank. If the new tank is 1/2" pipe and the original is 1/4"pipe then all you will need is a brass bushing 1/2"x1/4".
Posted By: DADS50 Re: New gas tank from LMC - Tue Mar 17 2020 12:32 AM
Is this behind seat or under bed tank?

Be careful with adapters, it has been posted here before some users finding metric threads on some overseas gas tanks.
Posted By: jayhawkdoug Re: New gas tank from LMC - Tue Mar 17 2020 12:37 AM
Behind the seat. Just doesn’t make sense to have a hole that is not original size and then not have a fix for it.
Posted By: DADS50 Re: New gas tank from LMC - Tue Mar 17 2020 12:42 AM
The bottom outlet on the behind seat tank is 1/8 pipe

Rockauto.com sells a very good tank made in canada, correct outlet and filler neck is correct. Its make by spectra.

...link...

Posted By: klhansen Re: New gas tank from LMC - Tue Mar 17 2020 05:44 AM
The tank that Jim Carter sells has the proper outlet as well.
Posted By: olezippi Re: New gas tank from LMC - Tue Mar 17 2020 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by jayhawkdoug
I bought a new tank for my 49 Chevy. When I got it home I noticed the hole in the bottom was 1/2 inch. The fuel pet cock tube from my original tank is 1/4 inch I believe. I stopped by Lmc today to talk to them about it. I was told that this is a known issue but they have no answer other than I need to buy some kind of adapter. Anyone experience this and what did you find to fix this problem. Thanks
Why would they keep selling gas tanks knowing that they don't know what the fix would be. Just bad business.
Posted By: Mike B Re: New gas tank from LMC - Wed Mar 18 2020 01:46 AM
Send it back as "not the correct part" on their dime...if enough people do that they will fix the issue.

Mike B smile
Posted By: glenns towing Re: New gas tank from LMC - Wed Mar 18 2020 12:51 PM
Dont forget to leave em a bad review somewhere. People shop accordingly .
Posted By: spanky Re: New gas tank from LMC - Wed Mar 18 2020 02:17 PM
Send that one back, get a refund, and purchase a Spectra Premium Part Number GM55A. These 49-54 tanks, are original spec., repo. tanks. I've ordered three of them. I just put one in my 1952 GMC COE, last Summer. Direct fit, no modifications needed.
Posted By: Johnny N Re: New gas tank from LMC - Wed Mar 18 2020 02:39 PM
I ll second that. Put a spectra premium in a 49 gmc. Perfect fit. No headaches. John
Posted By: DADS50 Re: New gas tank from LMC - Wed Mar 18 2020 04:13 PM
Post from over 10 years ago
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...ou-install-that-gas-tank.html#Post597440
This issue has been discussed but a reminder is good for new members
Posted By: Achipmunk Re: New gas tank from LMC - Wed Mar 18 2020 11:34 PM
i would comment but i would be banished for vendor bashing...............its happened before!
Posted By: Pre '68 Dave Re: New gas tank from LMC - Thu Mar 19 2020 02:27 AM
I am sure that the reason for the larger outlet is for the people who install V8s in there trucks, that need more fuel flow.
I suspect they just figure people will use an adapter to fit whatever size one needs.
Posted By: klhansen Re: New gas tank from LMC - Thu Mar 19 2020 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
I am sure that the reason for the larger outlet is for the people who install V8s in there trucks, that need more fuel flow.
I suspect they just figure people will use an adapter to fit whatever size one needs.
If they expected people to do that, at least they'd use pipe threads in the outlet instead of some weird threads that you have to hunt to find an adapter. With pipe threads, it would be a snap to adapt the original 1/8 NPT threaded outlet. You can find a bushing just about anywhere.
Posted By: DADS50 Re: New gas tank from LMC - Thu Mar 19 2020 11:30 AM
The bottom outlet was not the only issue on some of the overseas tanks
If bottom threads are metric it might be difficult finding an Adapter to 1/8 npt

The filler neck at times would not align

....Denny’s example...
Posted By: TBUChevy Re: New gas tank from LMC - Thu Mar 19 2020 05:11 PM
Wish this post was out there a year ago.. Got a tank from a local shop for a '49 3100 with the misaligned filler neck and the profile would not fit the mounting brackets on the floor without modifying them brackets.
© The Stovebolt Forums