Stovebolt.com
Posted By: glenns towing Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 01:50 AM
Really? Ive read, I dont know how many forums, conversations, and opinions about John Deer Corn Head Grease to be used in steering boxes. Sounds like a great alternative to leaking gear lube from faulty, worn out seals. Soooo, today I decided track down the closest Tractor Supply and get me some of the good filling ive read so much about. Well low and behold the closest place to me was apr 30 miles away. No biggie, Ive got time and a good excuse to spend alitta car time with my wife that loves road trips to boot. I decided to look myself for a bit, then realized I have no idea what kinda tube or package this awesome lube is in. After ive smoked my wife on mission up and down every isle including shoes, toys, and dog supplies, I thought id ask for some help. No such item exists. The lady even looked in the computer for anything even close to the name in which I gave her for what I was looking for. Whats up with that? Discontinued? Misinformed? Or were the posts that I read that old and the hired help and the computer thought I was in the wrong store searching for a made up fix all, for seeping gear lube spots that are all over the garage floor? Never the less, my wife didn't mind the quality time together...…...
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 02:06 AM
I think that John Deere Corn Head Grease is/was grade 0 - Tractor Supply used to sell it.

Steering Gear oil/grease (self-levelling grade 00 grease) is grade 00
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/super-s-cotton-picker-spindle-grease-00

https://www.classicchevy.com/champion-00-manual-steering-box-grease.html

Attached picture Grease Consistency - NLGI Grades of Grease.png
Attached picture Grease Consistency - NLGI Grades of Grease (1).png
Attached picture NLGI Grades.png
Posted By: glenns towing Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 02:27 AM
Well good to know. Better late than never. Wife will be happy. lol
Posted By: BobF Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 02:44 AM
Just purchased some a couple of weeks ago at a John Deere dealer it comes in standard grease gun cartridges.Works great in the steering box.
Posted By: Rich'sToys Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by BobF
Just purchased some a couple of weeks ago at a John Deere dealer it comes in standard grease gun cartridges.Works great in the steering box.

What he said. Any John Deere dealer should have it.
Posted By: 69Cuda Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 04:52 AM
the 00 cornhead grease from tractor supply comes in a quart jug like 90 wt.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by 69Cuda
the 00 cornhead grease from tractor supply comes in a quart jug like 90 wt.

Supposedly Corn Head Grease is NLGI 0 - this probably does not matter
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 12:38 PM
Tractor supply carries Super S Cotton Pickers Grease (I kid you not), that is equivalent to John Deere Corn Head Grease and is NLGI 00.

They also carry 90wt mineral gear fluid for our transmissions. I just picked some up yesterday.

Attached picture D15D8319-BF83-4C47-ACAB-433916E29D1D.jpeg
Attached picture 8ED9619C-891A-4A49-AC2C-F112785F922B.jpeg
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 12:46 PM
I had the same exact experience that Glenns Towing had in one TS. I walked around all the aisles trying to find it but to no avail. I asked the sales help and they couldn’t find it nor did they know what it was I was looking for. I went to another TS and they were well stocked and they knew exactly where it was.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 01:01 PM
"Tractor supply carries Super S Cotton Pickers Grease (I kid you not), that is equivalent to John Deere Corn Head Grease and is NLGI 00."

For the record, again:

Corn Head Grease is NLGI 0 and Cotton Picker's Grease is NLGI 00
They are not equivalent, but, the difference might not matter?
The spec of original steering gear grease is/was NLGI 00
Posted By: glenns towing Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 01:53 PM
I guess another trip to a different TS will be soon. I might try the Cotton Pickers if no luck at the next 1. Thanks for all the responses.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 02:34 PM
Cotton Pickers: 00
Corn Head: 0
GM spec for steering box grease: 00
Posted By: Joe H Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 02:39 PM
Any grease at " 0 " grade or above will work just fine. "00" will flow back on itself quicker then " 0 " will, but both will do the same job. 00 might make its way out the seals quicker, but even then it will take some time.
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Cornhead grease? - Sun Nov 03 2019 02:41 PM
Your correct on JD not being the equivalent. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Posted By: mick53 Re: Cornhead grease? - Mon Nov 04 2019 01:46 AM
Should this be put in a new steering box?
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Mon Nov 04 2019 02:06 AM
Should this-what be put into a new/rebuilt steering box?

00 as specified, or, 0?

My guess is that both would be OK, but, I’d used 00.
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: Cornhead grease? - Tue Nov 05 2019 11:15 PM
Big PITA to find this stuff. Called the local FLAPS; they don't have it. There are no Deere dealers locally. Online stores don't have it or they want an arm and a leg (I'm not spending $50 for a pint of grease).

Finally success...
The local Kubota dealer had it. Guy on the phone told me to bring an empty container and they will get me some "ep00". $10 bought me 750 ml.
Posted By: David C. Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 06 2019 12:20 AM
Easy to find, look here
Shoupparts.com
Part #302562 or search corn head grease
35 bucks for a ten pack of cartridges. You can buy singles too..
I been using it for years
O grade
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 06 2019 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by David C.
Easy to find, look here
Shoupparts.com
Part #302562 or search corn head grease
35 bucks for a ten pack of cartridges. You can buy singles too..
I been using it for years
O grade

Still not easy to find.
They add $50 for shipping, continental US only. frown
Posted By: 2ManyTrucks Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 06 2019 04:54 AM
Stens 770-123" 00" Grease, Clear
1 quart for $18
free shipping
amazon.com
don't know if it's any good or not, but there seems to be many options for 00 grease on amazon, which means they should be available cheaper online directly from respective sources.
hope that helps
-s
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 06 2019 11:44 AM
Here are other "handy" sources (mentioned above) of the specified 00 grease:

Walmart for $13.59. You might have to wait for it, but shipping to store is free (qt size container).

And, if you can wait, that same qt size container/product for $5.49 from Tractor Supply.
Posted By: HandyAndy Re: Cornhead grease? - Tue Nov 12 2019 11:15 PM
Tim,

Where did you find the GM spec for steering gear grease?

Originally Posted by tclederman
Cotton Pickers: 00
Corn Head: 0
GM spec for steering box grease: 00
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 13 2019 12:32 AM
Long ago (around 2005) there was a discussion of this on oldGMCtrucks.com

The conclusion was that Penrite Steering Grease was the equivalent of the GM part number: Part # 1052182. This hard to find, but it is available from a few USA vendors.

I think that a member also found a GM reference to 00 grade grease being the spec for roller-bearing steering gear boxes.
Posted By: HandyAndy Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 13 2019 01:08 AM
Thanks for the information and history lesson too!
Posted By: drdoug Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 13 2019 02:32 AM
Good info from Tim.

Interestingly (at least to me), the Penrite fluid frequently cited by the various antique car clubs does not meet EP standards, but their own published specs (and it's costly).

Many of the locally available semi-fluid "00" greases also have inferior wear-related specs or use a base oil viscosity that is, IMO, too light at about SAE 30 equivalent (including the Super "00" by Smitty's, the Cotton Picker grease available at TSC, Champion "00" from Ecklers, and especially the greases that are marketed for small equipment like the Stens "00").

Many folks use and like the Corn Head grease from J-D, of course (which is a bit thicker at NLGI 0), but J-D only publishes one of the three more critical wear-related specifications, and doesn't list the base oil viscosity, so it's frustratingly hard to compare to other industrial NLGI 00 gearbox greases (roughly same spec as the NLA GM grease), from Mobil, Chevron, and Shell. I don't see anything wrong with the J-D product, but it is a grade heavier, so won't flow quite as well as EP 00, especially when cold.

I settled on Chevron Delo EP 00, due to thoroughness of the published and superior specs (base oil viscosity equivalent to SAE90 gear oil and great wear specs) and local availability (Mobil, Shell, and others have equivalent greases - just harder for me to source and in a couple cases more expensive), the main downside of which is that the minimum direct-buy container is a 5 gallon (35 pound) container on any of these.

[As a result, I have excess Delo EP 00 well beyond the needs for my projects, which I have made available repackaged at my cost, in either standard 14 oz grease cartridges or 1 quart jugs, in the classifieds. If any one is interested, search for semi-fluid steering gearbox grease, and take a look. If not interested, that's fine. Specs are listed in the classified ad thread.]

I've pretty thoroughly researched the various greases (probably disclosing my engineering background and a bit of OCD), so if anyone wants more conversation on the specifics, feel free to send me a PM.

Doug

Posted By: Joe H Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Nov 13 2019 03:18 PM
On my truck, the exhaust pipe is pretty close to the steering box, so cold weather driving doesn't concern me. The gear box will warm up relatively fast due to the exhaust heat, I suspect this helps year round and keeps the grease in a flow-back state most all the time.
Posted By: moparguy Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Nov 15 2019 12:40 AM
How many tubes of appropriate grease to fill a 3100/3600 gear box? I know mine has the original fill. Need to dig out all I can, perhaps flush with diesel and then suction out the remnants and refill.
Posted By: drdoug Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Nov 15 2019 01:43 AM
Typically, one standard 14oz tube is enough for a fill. Two is safe, and gives enough for future top off, if needed.

I know diesel has been recommended for flush, and it will certainly work and do the job quickly. My preference when not in a hurry is just to use a good brand 75W90, which won't stay in long under normal circumstances, but will clean up the old stuff if you fill and drive it for awhile. So long as the gear oil and selected grease are compatible, all is good. Just keep a drip pan under the gearbox!
Posted By: dougs Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Sep 16 2020 12:28 PM
I have a 49-3100 that PO packed the steering box with grease. I have read some suggestions to flush the steering box and refill with 90W gear oil or corn head grease. My question is how would you flush the steering box? Thanks
Posted By: Joe H Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Sep 16 2020 01:27 PM
You will need some solvent to break down the grease. Gasoline, mineral spirits, parts washer, stay away from water based degreaser due to there acid content, it can damage bearings if they are not compatible. Fill best you can, turn the wheel back and forth ( drag link unhooked for easy turning ) to stir the mixture. You may end up pulling the bottom cover or side cover if there is no drain plug so be aware you may need to make a new gasket. If the grease is clean inside, add a little gear oil, it will mix into a slurry, a 50/50 mix will be about right.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Sep 16 2020 01:39 PM
May I tell you a dealer point. You were more than likely in a John Deere store. Not a John Deere dealership. If you don't see a bunch of tractors and new or used equipment around your not at the right place. I have a tube here that I will send you if you can't get it. Do NOT use 00, if it runs out of a bottle it's not what you want. I have used JD corn head grease for 50 years and never a problem with leaks or wear in all my vehicles. I feel a little guilty, one of my 3100's has been using a mix of moly and JD/ch grease (10% moly), for 45 years. You would think I would replace the seal. However if I did I would have to change it out again in several years, one less grease/oil spot. I may have misunderstood, were you folks talking about 00 in a bottle or tube? Doc.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Sep 16 2020 02:08 PM
Just looked up TSL The Lubricant Store. Wow! did not know all of that info. Doc.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Wed Sep 16 2020 02:24 PM
I'll continue to use NLGI 00 (steering gear) grease, as I have done for 40+ years.

Penrite is a time-honored brand, but not readily available and is relatively expensive. [penriteoil.com.au]
Tractor Supply - NLG-00 Super Cotton PIcker Spindle Grease at a good price. [tractorsupply.com]

John Deere Corn Head Grease is NLGI 0, self-leveling, and a little thinner, and is readily available. It should also work satisfactorily.

Attached picture NLGI_Grades graph illustration.jpg
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Cornhead grease? - Thu Sep 17 2020 12:17 PM
Tim, can the self leveling grease be used in a transmission? Ed
Posted By: tclederman Re: Cornhead grease? - Thu Sep 17 2020 01:11 PM
I do not know if it can be used safely in a transmission ("in a way that is not likely to cause or lead to harm or injury" to the transmission parts).

If this link works, it gives results/answers for your question)? [google.com]

It seems that desperate people do desperate things?

If someone does it to a transmission they intend to sell/swap, it would be dishonest.

However, if it works for the owner, "so be it"?
Posted By: klhansen Re: Cornhead grease? - Thu Sep 17 2020 06:38 PM
Doc, that type of grease is only for a slow speed gearbox, such as the steering gear.
Use gear oil for a transmission, or you risk damage as Tim said.
Posted By: Green_98 Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 03:19 AM
I have been considering this service as well on my 3100. Question:

My steering box has the side cover; but I've noticed that on the bottom, it has what looks like a large 2" nut with a slot in the middle that looks like its for a large flat screwdriver. Does this unscrew? I would need to use my pipe wrench on it, but not sure I can squeeze in that small area. I would like to do a flush; jack up the front end, several fills/turns/flushes with diesel, and then a tube of new Chevron 00 grease that I got from a fellow Stovebolter here. Any suggestions?
Posted By: klhansen Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 04:28 AM
That big nut on the bottom is the adjustment for the worm bearings. It does unscrew, but you would then need to do the complete adjustment on the steering gear. First the worm bearing preload adjustment, and then the sector shaft adjustment. Check the Service Manual [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com] for the procedure.
Posted By: Joe H Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 01:10 PM
The proper way to clean a gear box, https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/sets/72157632210242370/
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 01:12 PM
Thanks Tim and Kevin, It was just a thought and a question. Ed
Posted By: Green_98 Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 03:26 PM
Joe H that is an incredibly informative article, I wonder if you could post it in the tech articles section..?

So, is the cover on the passenger side of the truck simply an access cover for doing a flush?
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 04:44 PM
Funny. I bought some from the local tractor supply place - a bring your own container deal. The counter guy asked what I was going to do with it. I told him that I tried regular gear oil and it leaked out. He laughed and said "I use this stuff in the transfer case of my 4x4 - same problem - regular gear oil leaks out!" big_eek
Posted By: klhansen Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Green_98
Joe H that is an incredibly informative article, I wonder if you could post it in the tech articles section..?

So, is the cover on the passenger side of the truck simply an access cover for doing a flush?

That's Brad Allen's awesome collection of old slides that he's posted. The side cover can't really be taken off without removing the pitman arm and the sector shaft. It's got a screw used to adjust the lash on the gears.
Posted By: Green_98 Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 08:12 PM
I'm talking about the side cover on the passenger side of the steering box.
Posted By: klhansen Re: Cornhead grease? - Fri Sep 18 2020 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Green_98
I'm talking about the side cover on the passenger side of the steering box.
Yep, that's the one that has the adjusting screw.
© The Stovebolt Forums