Stovebolt.com
Posted By: fonz8261 Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Sat Jan 23 2016 09:38 PM
Just wondering about this on a lazy Saturday afternoon in late January...

Most of the AD trucks were used for work purposes back in the day. Would it be a true statement that when the side mount spare tire appeared in 1953, most side mount spare tires did NOT have a hub cap attached to them? The hub cap would be an extra expense, even though it may have looked nice. I have to believe that most did not care about how it looked! Any insight on this topic?

Posted By: marzach Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Sat Jan 23 2016 09:47 PM
**fonz8261 ** I can tell you the 53 my day purchased new had the side mount spare with a hub-cap. A number of years later that was the vehicle I drove to high school.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Sat Jan 23 2016 10:01 PM
If you had the money for the side mount, you most likely had the money for the hubcap?
Posted By: fonz8261 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Thu Mar 11 2021 12:24 AM
Hubcap on the side mount spare tire...should it stay, or should it go?
Posted By: tclederman Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Thu Mar 11 2021 01:35 AM
I'd used a hubcap on side-mount spare-tire.

I will use the 1954/55st truck full wheel covers [1954advance-design.com] on my "deluxe" pickup. I was very lucky to find/buy 5 wheel-covers several years ago.

I'll try to remember to check the original box to see if I bought a box of 5 or a box of four plus an extra one.

My guess is that a 54/55st buyer of the side-mount spare-tire would have to buy an extra hubcap.

You 54/55st purists : check the stainless steel "button" on the accessory lighter in the image linked-to above (the lighter button did not match the black/white 54/55st dash knobs' buttons).

All the 54/55st after-market lighter buttons match the other black/white buttons.
Posted By: Brad Allen Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Thu Mar 11 2021 03:05 AM
Using just period photographs they look to have the cap on both GMC and Chevrolet.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/11779003476/in/album-72157631872034068/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/51024581937/in/album-72157631872034068/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/25270151062/in/album-72157631872034068/
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Thu Mar 11 2021 08:20 PM
tclederman, as long as we are on the subject, I have seen passenger side spare tire mounts every once and awhile on AD's. They all had the full cover hubcaps. Six total. I'm I seeing things? Doc.
Posted By: tclederman Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Thu Mar 11 2021 10:17 PM
Doc,

I think that might have been a custom job?

One advantage would be a more even weight distribution (side-to-side)?
Posted By: Waveski Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Fri Mar 12 2021 02:41 AM
There are lots of fine old hubcaps of that vintage to be had.
If I had a side mound spare I would definitely want to see a shined up hub cap there. It would even be a nice accent on a rat-ish truck.
Posted By: Barnfind49 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Sat Mar 13 2021 03:43 AM
I agree it flows nicely on a “rat-ish truck”. I like that term waveski. 😂

Attached picture F73A3F3D-A103-4E9F-8F1A-18EEA825CF91.jpeg
Posted By: fixite7 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Tue Apr 13 2021 01:28 PM
Waveski Age 68 is not even close to old enough to start hot rodding...maybe you can sort of afford it by then !! I like "rat-ish trucks too!! The other day I opened my hood and the boys climbed right-up there to look !! With a "rat-ish" you don't have to worry about your paint,that is good !!
Posted By: Waveski Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Fri Apr 16 2021 01:51 AM
That GMC hub cap looks real good on the spare. Makes a nice point of interest ; without it you'd just have a utilitarian spare.
Posted By: kades51 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Fri Apr 16 2021 12:05 PM
Why would you not have a hubcap on the spare?

I suppose if the entire truck was hubcap-less, you might not.

(52Carl....is hubcap-less a word?)

Attached picture TRUCK 01-2019 2.jpg
Posted By: Possum Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Fri Apr 16 2021 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by fonz8261
Hubcap on the side mount spare tire...should it stay, or should it go?
I wouldn't be much help on knowing how they came back in the day, but I'd say keep the hubcap on the spare

Originally Posted by Doc.Hall
tclederman, as long as we are on the subject, I have seen passenger side spare tire mounts every once and awhile on AD's. They all had the full cover hubcaps. Six total. I'm I seeing things? Doc.
Here's my grandfather's '49 with a passenger side spare smile

Attached picture FB_IMG_1558709304916.jpg
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Fri Apr 16 2021 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Possum
Here's my grandfather's '49 with a passenger side spare

Please tell me its an old picture and not the present situation of the 1949 Chevy 3100 (In the family since new).
Posted By: Possum Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Tue Apr 20 2021 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Phak1
Please tell me its an old picture and not the present situation of the 1949 Chevy 3100 (In the family since new).
Thats an older pic, its currently sitting in a shed smile
Posted By: Phak1 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Tue Apr 20 2021 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Possum
Thats an older pic, its currently sitting in a shed smile

thumbs_up
Posted By: John Milliman Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Wed Apr 21 2021 09:50 AM
If we're now going to Carl for grammar advice/review ... does that mean I have to put him on the payroll as the Stovebolt Grammarian (at large)?

I'd have to take away RustyRod's bonus to pay for it as my payroll budget is capped for this year (Stovebolt's Fiscal Years run on a sort of Leap Year calendar ...)

As for the original question, I vote yes on the hubcap.
Posted By: kades51 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Wed Apr 21 2021 06:29 PM
fonz8261, not to hijack your thread......so before I get called out for being grammatically-incorrect, that IS indeed a side mount spare on a 1951. I know, I know, 51's did not come with it. Kade said we had to have it that way, which means we HAD to have it that way.

ALL wheels having a hubcap, makes the truck look complete.

(I ain't sure 'Grammarian' is a real word either).
Posted By: Barnfind49 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Wed Apr 21 2021 10:11 PM
Yea my 49 was originally under the bed but i was missing basically everything and i kinda like the way the old trucks looked with the side mount spare but they are hard to find for a 3/4t so I made my own side mount to perfectly fit my tire size.
Posted By: Swami29 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Sun Apr 25 2021 09:44 PM
Any tech tips out there on fabbing your own spare tire mount? I don`t have an example to copy. Thanks
Posted By: Barnfind49 Re: Hub Cap? AD side mount spare tire - Mon Apr 26 2021 12:59 AM
There is one online somewhere that gives you the exact measurements but its for a 1/2ton. If you look in my build under projects you will see how i made mine up pretty easily and it looks stock. Its not a precise design at all. You cann just weld some round rod to some angle iron and a flat flange with 3 studs in it. I made mine in a few hours one night.

Tire mount
© The Stovebolt Forums