Stovebolt.com
Posted By: 52Carl glass top fuel pumps - Fri May 29 2020 02:19 AM
Looks like there is a shortage of glass top fuel pumps. Classicparts.com stopped listing them altogether.
Posted By: Forty9 Re: glass top fuel pumps - Fri May 29 2020 08:42 PM
I have changed the glass top from a bad pump to a new pump that has a metal top. Six bolts and it's done. Have not run into any problems so far.
Posted By: 52Carl Re: glass top fuel pumps - Sat May 30 2020 01:02 AM
I am getting ready to do that myself if I can find the old glass top pump stashed in my empire somewhere.
Posted By: showkey Re: glass top fuel pumps - Sat May 30 2020 02:21 AM
They are also on “wait list” at the Filling Station parts.
Posted By: 46Sparky Re: glass top fuel pumps - Sat May 30 2020 01:17 PM
Check your local FLAPS. O’Reillys or NAPA might still have them. I got one not too long ago.
Posted By: Doc.Hall Re: glass top fuel pumps - Sat May 30 2020 02:19 PM
Thanks guys, I have my 54-3100 restored to 100% pure stock. I have the original and thanks to Ed now I will have a back up. Ed
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: glass top fuel pumps - Sat May 30 2020 03:17 PM
Are the glass top pumps rebuild-able? Are kits available?
Posted By: drdoug Re: glass top fuel pumps - Sun May 31 2020 12:53 AM
Gord, yes, and yes.

I've used kits from Hal Houghton, good quality, and very nice components, but the rebuild process is not for the faint of heart. His kits require the rebuilder to disassemble, reassemble and stake the diaphragm pull-rod assembly. Not hard, but takes a bit of skill. Other kits have the diaphragm and its pull-rod pre-assembled, but I don't know the quality for comparison. His kits are E10-compatible, and pump specific, so he matches the kit by pump number. He has kits for pumps with or without the secondary vacuum wiper-assist stage. Here's his website: Fuel Pump Kits [classicpreservation.com]
Posted By: Gord&Fran Re: glass top fuel pumps - Sun May 31 2020 02:41 AM
Perfect. That sounds like the way to go.
Posted By: Green_98 Re: glass top fuel pumps - Mon Jun 01 2020 12:52 PM
I"ve thought about finding an OEM fuel pump myself, for when my cheap aftermarket pump dies. Do you know who supplies these? Is a rebuild of similar difficulty to a carburetor?
Posted By: drdoug Re: glass top fuel pumps - Mon Jun 01 2020 02:14 PM
Patrick, OE pumps are listed on eBay all the time, some NOS, some for reasonable $. Search by the AC part number as well as Chevy PN, and you should see some come up.

There are several AC pumps that might apply to your 261. A few of them are different only in the angle of the inlet and outlet fuel line connections. If the truck still has the '53 fuel lines/orientation, the AC numbers would be 9797 for a combination pump or 9798 (superseded by AC 4149) for a single action pump. If the fuel lines/orientation have been modified for a '58 or later fuel pump, the PNs are AC 4666 for combo pump, or AC 4434 for single action.

Some of the more recent pumps with those numbers will not have the glass fuel bowl. True NOS that are old enough will. With NOS, a rebuild is likely needed, since the original diaphragm may be degraded, and not E10 compatible, anyway.

As far as rebuild, they are a little trickier in a few areas compared to carbs (such as removing and reinstalling the staked rocker arm pin), but overall there are fewer parts, so not complicated by any means.

I have a 24-page AC Fuel Pump "Shop Manual" dated 11-57 that I have scanned and can make available as a reference for anyone interested. It's a little generic, but it covers the basics of disassembly and reassembly, as well as troubleshooting and testing for both single action and combination pumps.
© The Stovebolt Forums