Stovebolt.com
Posted By: Dusty I have a 216 that has had a lot of water in the oil . - Fri Oct 30 2015 07:45 AM
The head gasket was leaking.

There is a lot of nasty emulsified goop left and I wanted your helpful suggestions for cleaning the engine without removing the sump. The engine is still in the truck and I know how hard it will be for me to reseal the sump insitu.
My idea so far is to pour kerosine into the sump , let it soak for a day , then feed an air line down and let metered air bubble thru for a while to agitate the mess , drain and repeat .........
If the truck has been sitting, how long? Reason I ask. ...picked up a tranny from a museum several years back. When drained, about a 1/2 pint of water was in with the oil. Had to replace all the rotating assembly due to pitting. You may get all the water from the sump but what damage has it caused elsewhere, i.e. Pitted bearings, rings, and so on.
Yes , I understand the risk of water damage , but I am not going there at this stage , this is just a rescue mission for this truck. I have studied the valve gear , push rods and cam followers when I pulled the head and those parts all seem fine.
It does just a few hundred miles per year , and the hope is , it will last under the small , light , use it will get.
If the engine will run, fill it to the normal level with fresh 30 weight oil, add 2-3 liters of Diesel fuel, and run it at fast idle for 20 minutes or so. The engine serves as its own agitator, with the crankshaft providing the splash. Just don't drive it- - - -moderate speed in neutral only.
Jerry
Jerry, the engine runs fine, I am aware that 5% kero was advised in sub zero conditions , back in the day , so I was hoping to hear or get confirmation that more would be a good idea smile

I will try some diesel / oil mix in a bucket first , to see how it cleans the goop off the cam followers.
The gimmick is to get the crankcase overfilled to the point that the crankshaft whips into the liquid in the sump. That makes the crankshaft a very effective eggbeater, so to speak, and it splashes the solvent around inside better than anybody can do, even with a brush.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry . I've a lot on this weekend but I will get right onto it Monday .
I have a friend in Auckland who wants me to visit for a while and assemble a spare engine for his 1925 Dodge truck. It was purchased new by his family as a delivery vehicle when they owned a big winery there, and the truck is still used in parades, etc. He has attended a couple of target shoots that I sponsor at my farm for Guns & Ammo magazine every year on Memorial Day. He grows orchids for export and also serves as a crew member on a big offshore fishing boat. That's a very tempting offer!
Jerry
"add 2-3 liters of Diesel fuel"
Nice touch on the metric conversion. Hotrod!
Hey, the rest of the world switched to the metric system 60 years ago after WW II out of necessity because all their factories were blasted to rubble by our very efficient B-17's, B-24's, and B-29's- - - -We're the ones who are out of step now.

All our war-surplus manufacturing machinery is worn out now, and we have to go beg the rest of the world to sell us new stuff!
Jerry

Officially, the US has been on the metric system for like 100 years. the mendenhall order 1893, just a bit of trivia... So anyway Jerry, if you can't make it to NZ maybe I can fill in?
Brokenhead, I think you may have missed the meaning of the Mendenhall order of 1893. It defined the length of the yard and pound in metric units as I recall. It did not reject our standards of weight and length measurements, I assume that would take an act of congress.
As a person who has dealt with this his whole working career I have seen several attempts to abandon the English measurement system only to see it smashed on the rocks. Old habits die hard.
Another measurement that "get my goat" is temperature. Ask just about anyone what the Fahrenheit scale is based on. They don't know nor care but interesting just the same.
Sorry to steal this thread.
sure wish I knew how to post links, the mendenhall order states: "The US will in the future regard the international prototype metre and kilogramme as fundamental standards, and the customary units, the yard and pound will be derived therefrom in accordance with the act of july 28, 1866. The definitions you are referring to is appendix 6, which delineates the conversions in a table form. This was approved by the Secretary of the treasury. Which makes a lot of sense because the purpose of this order was to ensure we got a fair shake in the international market. (MONEY) All it really means is pretty much nothing, much like many of our policies. (sorry to get off topic, but this is one of my favorite trivia items)
When we start discussing this subject, I'm reminded of the old geezer in George Orwell's book "1984" who complains about not being able to buy a pint of beer- - -"Liters and 'arf-liters" only! I spent 30-something years trying to bring auto mechanics students into at least the 20th. Century, with varying degrees of success.

Once the initial aversion to accepting a different measurement system is overcome, metrics are so much easier and simpler to use- - - -everything is a multiple of 10!
Jerry
I'm pleased to report that the engine flush was good .

I did 3L oil and 3L kero and 3L diesel , fast idle for 20mins , drained the horrible mess .

Repeat with 5L oil and 3L kero , fast idle again for 20mins , drained slightly contaminated product , looking good smile

Straight diesel engine oil , fast idle another 20mins , drained , clean enough to say its all good .

Had a huge challenge getting the oil feed pipe to the rockers sealed at the block , I soldered it as usual but I can't have been holding my mouth right as I had to have several goes at it until it stopped weeping .

All good now smile
From a late comer to the party, Good for you, glad you got it fixed.
I wrestled with installing a new oil line feed to the rockers through the block on my 49 216 about a yr ago. Resoldering wasn't an option so I replaced mine with a kit from a popular on-line supplier that's been mentioned. Everything needed was in the kit. Took me approx., 4 hrs start to finish as I'm not as nimble as I once was.
I can't tell if you replaced the line or if you were able to resolder the existing line, but in any case it sounds like you've got it and clean internals to boot.

Dave
© The Stovebolt Forums