The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Getting back to business
First round of holidays is about over. A few weeks before the next ones. For some of us...

Winter is Coming
Time to think about wintering your Bolt.
(continued)

A good Tech Tip
WINTERIZING YOUR TRUCK
including a link back to the Forums for some new thoughts.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
In the works
Nothing like an old truck calendar

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (JW51, JoeDude, FAST55, 55shaker, KEVINSKI, Donf), 213 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,667
Posts1,046,513
Members46,401
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#997860 Wed Jan 08 2014 07:12 PM
R
Raul T. Offline OP
Shop Shark
I've got a 57 Chevy 2-Ton with a two speed rear end. The way you shift the rear end is a splitter selector mounted on the gear shifter. A cable runs from this splitter selector to a splitter control valve mounted on top of the tranny. It has five hoses running to it. One small one, about 1/4 I.D. and four larger ones with about a 3/8 I.D. When the selector is in high I can hear a vacuum leak and it is affecting the engine performance and it even kills the engine every now and then. Are these splitter control valves still available or what is a good replacement?

Glory Bound...
Shop Shark
They likely are but my guess is a hose leaking or a hose fitting. The control valve would be available thru heavy duty parts suppliers or HD truck dealers.

1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
R
Raul T. Offline OP
Shop Shark
It's got new hoses and clamps, so I don't think that's the problem. Plus the vacuum leak can be heard in the area of the control valve.

Glory Bound...
F
New Guy
Have you tried your local Napa auto parts house?
Bring that valve in and set it on the counter.

W
'Bolter
It could be the diaphragm & you hear it in going through the valve. Hold you hand or a shop towel around the valve & see if you can locate the leak.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
W
Shop Shark
ratru,There are two valve "stoppers", in the control valve. To gain access,loosen the hose clamps,and remove all 5. Remove the two bolts that secure it to the SM420. You'll need to split the casing to access the cable-anchor point,to remove the unit.Once you have the unit on the bench,inspect the bores for dust/debris,that may be causing the problem. My "stoppers" were fine,but enough "junk got into the bore,to cause a leak. You may be able to replace just the "stoppers", (if worn),which would be much cheaper than buying a new unit. Be careful when splitting the housing,to try and save the gasket. I had to use "Permatex. It split in 3 places. L.o.L. Hope this helps.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
C
'Bolter
Vacuum 2 speed diaphragms are notorious for going bad. I usually start at the other end and apply vacuum to the chamber, then check the lines. If that is good, I tackle the selector valve.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop