The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Phak1, LKetchum, Shaffer's1950, JTRobb, WE b OLD, 1 invisible), 309 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,141
Posts923,577
Members42,356
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #963166 Mon Aug 12 2013 10:45 PM
S
Spareparts2 Offline
Shop Shark
I used a power steering pump off a late model GM and tapped the holes to take pipe fittings (on the supply side larger port I had to gring thr tip of the tap off because of it being to shallow)plumbed it to my hose. Ran the pump off a air motor and can adjust the flow by adjusting the air pressure. My pump is mounted outside the tank and above the level of the fluid and has no problem picking up yhr fluid. To my suprise it doesn't take that much air to operate, connected them together with a small LoveJoy coupling. Has been in operation for at least 15 yrs. Sweet Mfg makes this pump in aluminum for dirt track racing but being cheap I modded the pump for my cars. They make two sizes of input shafts I perfer the 3/4" ones, easier to find couplings.

You Learn more Listening than Talking
Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #969398 Wed Sep 04 2013 10:05 PM
B
Brian Moore Offline
Shop Shark
Years ago when I worked at a Mom and Pop Auto parts store we sold Parts washer filters. These where made to be "cut to fit" and they sat at the bottom of your parts washer. They didn't filter out the "fine" particles but mainly the larger debris. I don't remember the brand but I remember that they looked a lot like the cheap air filters of spun glass. Just a heavier and thicker weave.

Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #972116 Mon Sep 16 2013 08:23 PM
D
Deve Offline
Gas Pumper
The problem I ALWAYS have with parts washers is, the PLASTIC housing that surrounds the motor melts in less than a few weeks. I tellya, I have the worst luck with these things. I have a few 'parts boxes' that used to be parts washers but the motors died so I had to cut my losses. If I could find a METAL motor housing that actually didn't melt, I would be one happy camper! Then I could actually get on the same page as the conversation about filters. I may try again one of these days. About every decade I decide Im gonna try again, and each decade, nothing but disappointment. Im in my mid 50s now, so maybe 3rd time is a charm?

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #972206 Tue Sep 17 2013 10:40 AM
W
whiskey runner Offline
Shop Shark
i have had my newest h-f parts washer for 4 yrs. and it still works good..my old one that i made myself i now keep at the house shop,in it i used a submergered pump i bought from h-f it has to be over 15yrs old and still works..maybe those having problems with the pumps are letting the fluid get too low or slime level get too high.. i use de-natured alcohol in my washers and always make sure the pumps are below the fluid level for cooling and clean them every few months or more if needed.... i tried the water based cleaners..for about a hour before i dumped it out..does make good hand cleaner though..ha ha ha ha

if you cant run with the big dogs...then stay on the porch

http://s202.photobucket.com/user/rcplumley/library/
Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #972451 Wed Sep 18 2013 10:40 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
The best recirculating parts washer I've used was built out of salvaged materials. A recycled 30-gallon rear end lube drum was fitted with a stainless steel kitchen sink. The solvent flow was provided by a submerged automotive oil pump powered with a 1/4 HP electric motor scavenged from a floor fan. We mounted the motor above the back of the tub with a long, direct-coupled shaft running the pump at the bottom of the barrel. 1725 RPM is just about highway cruise speed for any oil pump. Plenty of volume, and the steel-geared pump will last forever. You stovebolt purists could even use a recycled 216/235 pump. Mine was a Ferd, IIRC.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #972461 Wed Sep 18 2013 11:05 AM
D
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
Now that's a project and a half Jerry, but...it would probably
make one of the best pumps that one could have on a parts
cleaner. Gonna keep that one in mind, when I run out of things
to do I might try rigging up a pump like that.

Good to see ya back again by the way.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #994110 Sun Dec 22 2013 03:41 AM
D
Deve Offline
Gas Pumper
I have a few carbs to clean so I revisited this issue and tore apart all my old parts washers hoping to make something work. The pumps are melted beyond recognition as I knew I would find since this happens almost right away.

So, I must be doing something wrong. First and probably foremost, what solvent are you all using? Then, the other thing, if that doesn't solve it, you MUST be cleaning the parts washer out after every use and soaking it in detergent or something to remove all of the corrosive residue. I am sure I must be using the wrong solvent. I am just getting tired of purchasing new parts washers every few months. Even at 40-50$ a pop, its stupid expensive and I don't need any more parts storage containers!!

The 74.00$ Little Giant pump that would have to be adapted to fit is probably a good idea, but not if my solvent is melting whatever it touches. I just need a 3-1/2 gallon washer. I cant imagine a 20 gallon storage container after it melts after the first use.

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Re: Adding a filter to a parts washer [Re: 801curt] #995094 Fri Dec 27 2013 11:46 PM
801curt Offline OP
Shop Shark
Deve, the reason I started looking into a filter for my parts washer was because I am using 10 gallons of Crus Oil Inc. solvent, and it is not cheap at $38 for 5 gallons. My parts washer is always filled, and the stock HF pump is always submerged. I have had no problems since I added the filter and solvent 5 months ago.

Last edited by 801curt; Sat Dec 28 2013 03:04 AM.

Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop