The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 registered members (baldeagle, 1toomuchiron, 55 SHAKER, D B Cooper, Alex Arrow, 1 invisible), 310 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,690
Posts919,363
Members42,312
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Output Voltage #98612 Fri Dec 29 2006 05:27 PM
C
Chester Offline
Originally posted by doc41:
what is the toggle sw for???doc
Yea?

"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
Re: Output Voltage #98613 Fri Dec 29 2006 07:46 PM
R
Richard Offline
Shop Shark
You added longer wire plus three or four wire connections plus the resistance on the toggle switch contacts.
The purpose of the wire from the #2 spade terminal of the voltage regulator in the alt is to tell the voltage regulator what the voltage is at the battery. There is very little current flowing in this wire and with low resistance, there is little if any voltage drop. This allows the regulator to get an accurate picture of the battery condition.
The wire from the BAT terminal to the battery has high current and even with larger wire will have a voltage drop. More so under heavy load (lights, stereo, AC, etc.,).
Running a wire directly from the #2 terminal to the BAT terminal prevents the voltage reg from seeing what the actual needs of the battery are. It can monitor the alt output, but not the battery needs.
If you look around this forum, you will see people wiring the #2 to the BAT and telling all others to do the same. It will charge the battery. It just won't do as good a job as Delco designed these alternators to do.

[img]http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/images/AlternatorWiringOverview-1973to1985Buick.jpg[/img]

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Re: Output Voltage #98614 Mon Jan 01 2007 01:56 AM
Happy Birthday speed 6351 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Doc41 & Chester;
I found that unplugging the DA plug when parked stopped the battery from going dead,so I wired a toggle switch into the wire temporarily.I know that's a lame "cure",but it temporarily solved the problem for me,until the weather warmed enough for me to get into it in more detail. I just removed the extra wiring and switch,and the charging voltage has gone back down to about 14-1/2 volts. The first night after doing this,the battery went dead again. I jumped the truck and drove it to run some errands,and parked it,expecting to find the battery dead again the next morning,but it's been holding up fine these last 2 or 3 nights. Makes me think it has to be a wire chafed or cracked,and making intermittent contact(shorting). Next warm day we have I'll try to find where my wiring could be rubbing holes in itself and correct it.
Did I mention yet today I HATE WIRING!!!? :rolleyes:
Speed
Okay-I guess it's On to the next disaster-lights. grin

1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop