Howdy All --- seems like forever since I've had time to work on the bus or do any fun stuff...like waste time here on the Bolt.
I do have the engine & tranny together but had to build a hoist before I could do anything else. They have been hanging on it for a couple of months now with no movement and with my current schedule, will stay that way until at least late September. Makin' me nuts! I gotta' back to it soon before the tranny fluid all drys up. Hell...MY fluids are all dryin' up too!
Well Folks --- once again I've found a way to avoid working on the bus. I'm off to France for a month in the morning but will try to catch the forum when I can find a connection. Hopefully I will have the Fall & Winter left to get something done on my baby before she gives up on me completely.
Howdy All --- Finally back stateside but been so busy playing catchup I've only been able to drop in on the old girl once. Lining up some help on the engine/tranny installation right now. Stuffing all that machinery inside this little front end is going to be...interesting. Hope to get back on this project shortly.
Minor progress --- Found the power steering gearbox I've been looking for. Came out of an '03 Isuzu NPR. My original manual box fits inside the frame rails and has to go to make room for the Cummins & Allison so I've been on the hunt for one that mounts outside the rails and would be compatible with the Cummins hydraulic pump (1500psi) and this unit does both. Thinking about going back and getting the whole steering column which would make for a simpler conversion but would like to keep the original Chevy truck wheel...somehow.
Did indeed go back for the whole steering column (minus turn signals). Looks like it might be a pretty good fit and will start working out how to hook it all up soon. Had originally planned on moving the driver position about 6" to the left since it was nearly in the center of the bus and this arrangement will put it just about where I wanted it.
Made a little progress on the engine/tranny install. Finally got a couple of friends over to help position the 1,000+ pounds with an A-Frame (it really does take 3 people). Got it far enough in to see what all has to move or be adapted. Marked and cut away some of the firewall so that the next "fitting" should allow for something close to final positioning. The oil filter definitely has to go elsewhere but I already have the Cummins plate to mount a "remote" filter. Just need to get the related parts and a couple of hoses fabbed.
Wish I'd had time to snap a couple of pix but the "helpers" were on a short fuse and had to beat it outta' there. Will try to update my album soon though.
Doing a little "body work" while waiting on the engine helpers. Test fitting the replacement body panels. One exterior panel will have a hatch to access the holding tank. I just got the SS hinge in the mail today and will fab the rest of it soon. Here's a qwik pic...
Still at it and still behind --- just test fitted new rear panels I had fabbed at a local shop. The original wheel openings never did look right and were so small I can't imagine how anyone could change a tire. Here are a coupl'a "before & after" pix...