The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (baldeagle, Lightholder's Dad, Shaffer's1950, Johnny N, JiMerit Boltr#43), 124 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,609
Posts1,005,723
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Something wrong at GM
Jim Bow #976475 Fri Oct 04 2013 01:48 PM
Shop Shark
Agreed! I've priced out a base model dual cab 4x4 from all three domestics with upgrades for payload and towing. They all range in the mid to high 30's for a hideous looking work truck with vinyl seats/floor. I also noticed that you can upgrade to a 3/4 ton with more standard features for the same money.

It just seems wrong that a simple sliding rear window can now only be had in the high end trims and is power operated. Or the fact that you can double the price of a truck with just interior and exterior features...or "glitz."

1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Jim Bow #976490 Fri Oct 04 2013 03:34 PM
J
Jim Bow Offline OP
'Bolter
I have to agree with the Poobah except for one thing. You need electric windows, 'cause the State Troopers approach the passenger side out here. I don't think I have the gross motor skills to lean across and turn a window crank with my right hand.

What then need to do is re-tool for the 1953 Power Wagon, and then do some product placement in the latest movie or TV shows. Then have Sam Elliot refer to other drivers as "Shirley".

Last edited by Jim Bow; Fri Oct 04 2013 03:35 PM.

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Jim Bow #976540 Fri Oct 04 2013 09:15 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Funny. When I need someone to roll a window down ( Ha! ROLL a window down!!), I usually motion in a hand crank gesture.

Jim Bow #976542 Fri Oct 04 2013 09:20 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Originally Posted by Jim Bow
You need electric windows, 'cause the State Troopers approach the passenger side out here. I don't think I have the gross motor skills to lean across and turn a window crank with my right hand.

Valid point. You may keep your Man Card and we won't call you Shirley.

OR ... you could consider quitting whatever activity you're doing that draws State Trooper attention .... just sayin'

smile

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Jim Bow #976544 Fri Oct 04 2013 09:22 PM
Moderator, Passing Lane
a lot of folks buy these new high buck trucks and never really haul or pull anything..

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

641Workmaster #976545 Fri Oct 04 2013 09:26 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Originally Posted by 641Workmaster
you can double the price of a truck with just interior and exterior features...or "glitz."

zactly wot ahm talkin' 'bout wink

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Jim Bow #976720 Sat Oct 05 2013 07:55 PM
I
Shop Shark
I was talking to my local Chevy dealer the other day and he said used truck prices are going through the roof. He said the price of a new truck is just too darn expensive and now a 2 year old used truck is climbing in prices as well because that is what people are buying. Supply and demand.......I'll stick with my 2004 GMC for now, LOL.....

Iron Clad #976966 Mon Oct 07 2013 02:34 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Originally Posted by Iron Clad
I'll stick with my 2004 GMC for now, LOL.....

Amen, Brother! Same here with my '95 Dodge. My daily driver is an '88 Chevy G-20 van with no radio, no power windows, no a/c, no cruise control, no power seats, no nothing. I love it. I paid $400 for it Army surplus smile (It's the former Ft Meade Bowling Alley van smile ) I love pulling up next to a late model BMW at a light on the way home from work thinking about how I am having the same amount of fun driving ... with NO PAYMENTS !! WAA HAA HAA, Bee OTCH!

Cram that up your keister, new truck OEMs! dance

John

— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Jim Bow #977011 Mon Oct 07 2013 01:33 PM
B
Shop Shark
You guys in milder climates are lucky. I'd love to keep driving the older stuff but it don't last here. I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out of my 2003 Silverado, the rocker panels are almost completely rusted away and the rear wheel wells are going next. You don't even see the previous 88-98 body style on the roads around here anymore, they were long ago sent to the scrappers. So we're almost forced to buy newer stuff or import older from less harsh environments only to watch it deteriorate in a couple of years.

Bob

Bob

Jim Bow #977022 Mon Oct 07 2013 02:12 PM
J
Shop Shark
I've been looking at pickups and I'm surprised at the high prices of the late model used ones and the condition they are in.
I have a 93 Toyota V6 2WD with 129K on it. The kids love using it to haul things and my wife uses it to go to garage sales.
Other than the chrome bumpers it doesn't have much rust. I'm thinking about having the rust repaired and getting it repainted.
It would be expensive but is still cheaper than getting a newer truck. I only use it when I need a truck and it is mechanically sound.
I bought it new and kept up on the maintenance. Everything on it works so a cosmetic dress up is all that's needed.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop