The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (Alainfrenchie54, 51sub, archburycontrol, 66flea, ASU, 1 invisible), 261 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,647
Posts941,147
Members43,017
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yet another Brake light thread
gmtjr #973351 Sat Sep 21 2013 02:49 PM
D
Shop Shark
The brake lights do not tie together.

Left and right run individually to the lever switch

Originally Posted by gmtjr
except that at the brake light switch, there's two wires attaching, but one goes straight to the lights themselves with a wire connecting it to the flasher, then the other goes to the fuse block, then to the light switch on the dash.
the firewall switch should have the black/grey wire on one post
And the power on the other.

Sounds like your close just need to trace things out

gmtjr #973354 Sat Sep 21 2013 03:10 PM
G
gmtjr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
so there's actually no wire going to the rear of the truck for the sole purpose of brake lights? the signal-stat does the brake light function off the turn signal wires?

i'll have to check this out in the morning, i'm done for the day. thanks for all the help so far!

gmtjr #973355 Sat Sep 21 2013 03:15 PM
D
Shop Shark
Yes. The signal lever works the brake function on the 7 wire signal switch.

You can bypass the the fuse block on the fire wall with the black/grey wire, go directly to the stop switch with it.

Take a brake, I went through the same frustrations.

gmtjr #973369 Sat Sep 21 2013 04:31 PM
D
Shop Shark
Looks like you have 4 wires running to the rear
You should only have 3

I marked you pic. I'm assuming the tails are tied together

...your pic...

...your pic...

DADS50 #973440 Sat Sep 21 2013 09:19 PM
G
gmtjr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by DADS50
Looks like you have 4 wires running to the rear
You should only have 3

I marked you pic. I'm assuming the tails are tied together

...your pic...

...your pic...

you got it all right, the red wire that you labeled "1" comes from the brake light switch, so i'll just delete that whole wire as well as the deletions you made on it, and send the black/grey wire to the brake switch and send the other connection on the brake switch to the power and that should be it! what you made in those pics is what i had visualized from your last post, just gotta wait for sun-up to get back at it

gmtjr #973517 Sun Sep 22 2013 08:49 AM
G
gmtjr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
wired it like you said, the brake lights still don't work off the brake light switch. new problem though, now when i activate the right turn signal, the front right turn flashes dimly as well as the front left turn signal. the rears work fine, the left turn signals front and back work, just not the front right. also now the tail lights don't work.

so before i wired up the black/grey wire, i had all functions but the brake lights, now i've lost the tail lights and front right turn signal. just got back in from investigating and there are no exposed wire sections, no wires crossing eachother, all the wires coming from the signal-stat are going to where they should be going, all the wires from the flasher are going to the right place, the brake light switch is hooked to the light switch on the dash in the right place, everything seems to be exactly right ohwell

Last edited by gmtjr; Sun Sep 22 2013 09:24 AM.
gmtjr #973524 Sun Sep 22 2013 09:21 AM
D
Shop Shark
The tail lights are a separate circuit
Originally they tie into the headlamp switch on the Tail lamp post
As long as you have power and pull the headlamp knob they will work.

What bulb are you using for parking lamps?
You should have two wires off each parking lamp.
Wire the brightest light to the turn signals
Right front to red wire on your 900
Left front to green wire on your 900

A dim light could be a bad ground or you used the park lamp wire

Take the two wires off the stop switch on the firewall, touch them together and see if the brake lights come on. They should as long as you have voltage. One of those wires should be hot.

gmtjr #973554 Sun Sep 22 2013 10:46 AM
G
gmtjr Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
the front parking lamps are supposed to be grounded through it's casing, but i threw a ground wire on it from your suggestion and they're working perfect now, and i also got the brake lights going by wire brushing the fuse block and the connectors.. but the tail lamps still don't work. i tried wire brushing the fuse block and connectors, i even put a little anti-seize compound on the connectors to help conductivity but still nothing. i put the multimeter to it and i'm getting voltage from the light switch to the fuse block, but i can't get any volts on the fuse itself or any connections past it. i have continuity through the fuses too,

UPDATE: i was getting continuity through all the fuses in my box, but for the hell of it (and shear exhausted options) i switched out the fuse and everything is operational now.

thanks so much for the help DADS!

Last edited by gmtjr; Sun Sep 22 2013 10:54 AM.
gmtjr #973559 Sun Sep 22 2013 11:12 AM
D
Shop Shark
thumbs_up

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop