The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (John L., JW51, 1946GMCDAN, Justhorsenround, Gdads51, 3B), 95 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,110
Posts1,037,377
Members45,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#969400 Wed Sep 04 2013 10:09 PM
J
jwp38 Offline OP
New Guy
Is there anyone out there that can rebuild a 38 chevy truck 3-speed? I am in northwest Ky.

Shop Shark
I'm sure their is someone, probably close to you. I had a 37 rebuilt several years ago and I found out something interesting. The gears in a 38 are "straight cut" geats. In 54, the same gears were used in that transmission as a 37 on up and they are "cross cut" gears. If you find someone to rebuild it, there may be two good things you can do. Try to find a good 54 transmission with the gears you need or get new gears, if possible and rebuild your transmission with those gears. Mine ended up being a very good, smooth shifting transmission after rebuild. I can help you with one other thing. I have a NOS 37-38 transmission case which has fresh bearing surfaces. With this case and the grears I mentiononed, you should and would end up with best possible transmission.

See Joe Fuchs' 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pick Up on Facebook at The Top Of My Page. Go to: Joe Fuchs on Facebook

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"

My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
P
'Bolter
Only first and reverse gears are not helical cut gears in the 1937-39 transmission. 1940 went all are helical cut.
All the gears and shafts from a 1940-46 PU will fit in a 1937-39 transmission but the splines for the U' joint got finer 1n 1940 so U' joint conversion is needed. This is an advantage if installing later 3.5 diff gears.
There is nothing special about 1954 transmission in fact the main shaft is to long.
Many of the parts will fit though:
The cluster gear is the same from 1940-63.
Low-Rev slider 1940-54.
I could go on but it all depends on which way you go.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog [chev235guy.blogspot.com]
J
jwp38 Offline OP
New Guy
Not sure what I want to do right now, I stopped by s local transmission shop, but they wouldn't touch it. I think I could do the work, but I don't have the needed pullers. I have the engine to build to, so, I'm wanting to farm this project out maybe.

F
Extreme Gabster
most 'transmission shops' nowadays deal with modern automatics, maybe check around some long established auto repair shops and see if any would do it or know a shop that would

Bill

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
B
Shop Shark
Don't be afraid to try and tackle this yourself. If you can R & R the trans yourself, you can probably rebuild it. They are not too complicated and if you have a shop manual it's just a matter of cook booking it together. And don't think you have to have all the fancy tools shown in the manual. Most of the procedures can be done other ways or a simple stand in can be fabricated. I just rebuilt the 3-speed in my '50 with none of the tools shown in the manual. The only "specialized" tool I used was a bearing splitter to remove the clutch shaft bearing. I made the tool to spread the lock ring on the main shaft bearing out of a piece of steel strip stock and made a simple puller to reinstall the main shaft out of steel bar and a bolt. If you're going to replace the bearings you really don't have to be that careful removing them. A brass punch and hammer goes a long way. You'll get plenty of help here if you need a question answered.

Bob

J
jwp38 Offline OP
New Guy
I started into he tranny, got one of the shafts out, started into the back shaft and couldn't budge it. Broke one my pullers in the process. Back to the drawing board. I then started looking for a puller that would remove the shaft, but haven't found one yet.

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop