The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
27 members (52Carl, 66flea, Bill Trotter, 6 invisible), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,786
Posts942,453
Members43,042
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yet another turnsignal question
#968615 Mon Sep 02 2013 10:28 AM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
I am trying to hook up turnsignals on my 52 Chevy. The truck has new taillight assemblies that were installed by a previous owner. It was also wired for turnsignals, but they did not work when I purchased truck, and using a meter, I determined that the switch was bad. I just installed a new United Pacific 5007R switch. I am now almost there, but I have the following conditions:

Both front turn signals work.
All parklamps and taillamps work.
Right-side turn signals work front and rear.
Four-way flashers work.
Brake lamps work.

But:
Left-rear turn signal does not work.
With right-turn signal on and brake depressed, the right signal flashes, and the left brake lamp lights (normal, I think).
With left-turn signal on and brake depressed, the left signal does not flash, and the right brake lamp does not light.

All the bulbs are good.

Please help. I am almost there...so close!

Thanks,
daveboy

Re: Yet another turnsignal question
daveboy #968644 Mon Sep 02 2013 01:00 PM
Master Gabster
Before trying to figure all this out I would suggest checking for good grounds on both rear assemblies.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
daveboy #968651 Mon Sep 02 2013 01:35 PM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
Grounds are good because the bulbs work when the 4-way flashers or brakes are on. BTW, there are two bulbs in each light, one works as the taillight, and the other works as brakelight/turnsignal. When the brake is depressed, that light lights up. But, when turnsignal is turned on it does not. It is a 7-wire switch.

'52 Chevy 1/2 ton running original gear
daveboy #968661 Mon Sep 02 2013 02:37 PM
Y
Shop Shark
Just finished wiring my 51 Burb, added the turnsignal/4-way flasher. All I can say is "double" check all connections. Just to test it out, switch the rear left/right turnsignal wires and see if the flasher is the problem? The thing about most electrical problems, is that it really is simple! For sure I didn't get it right on the first try!!

daveboy #968706 Mon Sep 02 2013 05:51 PM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
Well, the plot thickens. I did some more checking/troubleshooting/cussing.

I have zero brakelights on either side.
I have zero taillights on either side.
The right-rear turn signal works, left-rear does not.
The right-rear emergency flasher works, right-rear does not.
The left-rear taillight assembly does nothing.
Both the front signals/parklamps work fine.

I have checked all taillight connections from the firewall back to the lights.
I have swapped bulbs.
I have checked the taillight housing ground with a meter...good ground.
I have checked both taillight fuses with a meter.
With ignition off, there is no power on either fuse on the taillight fuse box. With ignition on, there is power on the driver's side, but not passenger side. (normal?)
There is no power on any of the terminals on the brake switch. I know this can't be right.

I am so tired of looking at wiring harnesses, diagrams, and meters. I am done for the day. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks,
daveboy

daveboy #968881 Tue Sep 03 2013 02:27 AM
S
Shop Shark
Add a ground wire from each tail housing. Use one bolt to the housing and bolt the wire to the frame. You are experiencing a ground fault and the lights tend to work in strange ways with bad grounds. Just the wires for now and see if that helps. Then look at the stop switch. Power on one side and lights on the other. Pull the brake pedal down and see if you get brake lights. Then try the running/park lights. Then try the turn signals. One step at a time. A beer or two might help if you are so inclined. If it all works, then hide the ground wires you put on and consider what rust can do to a simple electric light system. Let us know what you find.

Steve H
Steve_H #969229 Wed Sep 04 2013 11:09 AM
Y
Shop Shark
As stated in other posts, check those grounds out! I found on my project that the "turnsignal" assembly also needs to be grounded to the steering column.

daveboy #969335 Wed Sep 04 2013 07:21 PM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
Well, I found out at least part of my problem. I have flashing voltage coming out of the signal switch to both rear bulbs. Problem is that it is not getting there. It was getting to the right, but then that stopped. Obviously, during my troubleshooting and checking 61 year old wires, I wiggled a wire that was already to break a connection. There is a connection directly under the cab and I noticed that the wires did not look really good there. This weekend I will get back under there and replace those connectors. I was checking the brake switch power in the wrong place!!!! I was checking the dimmer switch. Duh! Still learning:)

Thanks for all your replies, I will keep you posted.

daveboy

daveboy #1033219 Tue Jun 03 2014 10:33 PM
H
Moderated
I had a similar problem with weird lighting sequences. My problem was my flasher selection.

Originally I had an "electronic" flasher. When I switched to a Novita EL13, electo-mechanical flasher, all worked great.

HowardW #1033330 Wed Jun 04 2014 12:48 PM
H
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by HowardW
Novita EL13, electo-mechanical flasher
Good to know, Howard. Thanks thumbs_up

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop