The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (1toomuchiron, 46chevinline6, Bill Trotter, 78buckshot, 53 green 1- ton, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,647
Posts919,064
Members42,301
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
no instrument lights on a 64 #95629 Wed May 17 2006 04:01 AM
O
ozscott Offline OP
I just bought a 64 pk and I am not very familiar with this type truck yet. None of the instrument lights work. I have cleaned the contacts on the fuse box,replaced the fuse and replaced the bad bulbs but none of the instrument lights will work. Is there a relay or something else I need to check? Thanks, Scott

Re: no instrument lights on a 64 #95630 Wed May 17 2006 05:04 AM
B
Baldy Offline
The power to the instrument lights comes from the headlight switch. There should be a rheostat that controls the brightness of the panel lights.

Re: no instrument lights on a 64 #95631 Wed May 17 2006 12:19 PM
T
twe56 Offline
I had a simiilar problem on my 56. The rheostat portion of my light switch was heavily corroded. Cleaning helped enough to verify it was the problem -- replaced light switch -- all much gooder now.

Re: no instrument lights on a 64 #95632 Thu May 18 2006 02:43 AM
O
ozscott Offline OP
Thanks for the input guys...I bought a brand new light switch and installed it but still have no instrument lights. Any other ideas?

Re: no instrument lights on a 64 #95633 Thu May 18 2006 05:27 AM
B
Baldy Offline
Either you didn't turn them on, both the light switch and the rheostat, or there is no wire from the switch to the dash lights or not a good ground to the lights through the dash.

Re: no instrument lights on a 64 #95634 Sat May 20 2006 11:45 PM
C
Chevyboy62 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
The light switch grounds to the cab's dash to complete the circuit, sometimes they can be very tempermental.

To really pin point the problem, I'd use either one of the screw drivers that lights up when finding a "hot" wire, or digital volt meter. These 2 tools can be you best friend when hunting wire gremlins (ask me how I know LOL).

Twist the light switchknob after pulling on the knob to the 1st or to the 2nd click. Still nothing, make sure the 2 harness plugs are plugged into the main wireharness under the dash.

This plug is located on the right side of the steering column straight up, and bolts to the cab firewall way up under the dash.

Also check the wires in the wire harness to light switch. Check for "damaged" wires that got hot, corroded, or even broke. If there is, this is probably the source.

David

My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop