The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (Alainfrenchie54, Achipmunk, 32vsnake, Bolter Finally, DennisM, 2 invisible), 129 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,614
Posts1,005,764
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP gas guage
#94450 Fri Jan 27 2006 11:41 PM
W
wodniw5 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have a 1951 1/2 ton Total resto,New wiring harness 12 volt and brand new fuel guage 12 volt
new sending unit also 12 volt. How do I test the
electric hookup before I install everything.Does
the guage have to be installed for self ground
in the guage housing.I cannot seem to get the guage to read anything it came in the half full
position and if I hook it up it stays there.I
would welcome any advice you can call me collect
828-478-9248. Thanks Paul

Re: HELP gas guage
#94451 Sat Jan 28 2006 02:26 AM
Extreme Gabster
Everything has to be grounded. Be sure to run a ground strap from the sender to the cab. It won't properly ground to the tank.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
#94452 Sat Jan 28 2006 03:20 AM
W
wodniw5 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have the sender grounded do I need to install the gauge in the cluster itself to ground the gauge.

#94453 Mon Jan 30 2006 12:52 AM
B
Thump on the Gauge to see if it ain't stuck, had Jim carter redo a set for me and the gauge had to be thumped to get it to read and thumped when the key was off, also had no water temp either, it didn't work when I sent it to them for a complete rebuild, I'm guessing quality is hard to find anymore even when you pay a premium!

#94454 Mon Jan 30 2006 04:36 AM
'Bolter
wodniw5, I notice your in N.C. but don't know what part. D&M Restorations is located in Greenvile N.C. Diane and Mike do great quality work and stand behind them. He has done work for me and a many I sent to him. He can do just about anything you want or modify. Just to let you know help is available somewhat locally. Send me a PM if you would like the phone # etc.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#94455 Mon Jan 30 2006 07:04 AM
P
Hey wodniw5 check out this self test. If I recall correctly, an open circuit makes the gauge read past full and a closed circuit with no resistance reads empty. So disconnect the sending unit wire from the sending unit. Still half tank reading on the gauge? Then either there is electrical connectivity elsewhere or the gauge is faulty. How about removing the gauge cluster from the dash so you can access the terminals? Use a jumper wire from sending unit terminal to ground. Still no response then check the other wire. Either way, connecting to ground or no continuity in the circuit makes the gauge read to the extreme. Before you blame the gauge though, check the wiring. Use jumper wires if you have to, to simulate the wires in the harness.

Joe

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop