The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (2and4wheels, 3B, EdPruss, carbking, DavidBraley, 2 invisible), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,935
Posts1,008,306
Members45,097
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best replacement carb
#920162 Fri Feb 15 2013 09:59 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Ok....so my OEM carb is leaking and so much so it's dangerous. It's not rebuild able to solve the leak. So should I replace it with an OEM carb or is there a better more modern carb that would function better and perhaps be less money. I have a '56 235 motor in my 49 Chev half ton. Eventually I'll go to a dual carb set up but that may not be soon. I see rebuilt Rochesters costing $350 !!

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Re: Best replacement carb
Dogface #920250 Sat Feb 16 2013 09:59 AM
M
Shop Shark
What's wrong with it that it can't be fixed?

Where is the leak coming from?

Christopher

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Dogface #920263 Sat Feb 16 2013 10:38 AM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
I can't remember the name of the part but it's a (I think) shaft that goes thru the bottom and across. The shaft looks to have a bushing pressed into the outer 'shell' of the carb. This guy I'm using is pretty good at these old trucks and knows his stuff.

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Dogface #920269 Sat Feb 16 2013 10:58 AM
M
Shop Shark
Do you mean the throttle shaft? If the carb has been rebuilt, and the float level etc. is correct, then usually the trouble with a worn throttle shaft, is an airleak. The body can be drilled, and a brass insert put in to tighten up the play. You might see some wetness around the shaft when you first start up.

But, you can usually find a better carb at a swapmeet, or through friends, or the classifieds here on the bolt. No carb is going to work well unless it's rebuilt. Around here, a decent carb seems to run from $40-$60 at the swapmeet, and then you go to FLAPS to get a rebuild kit.

Christopher

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Dogface #920277 Sat Feb 16 2013 12:01 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Chris,

I guess that's the part...not sure but I was also just researching about a replacement and on some older threads many seem happy with a progressive two bbl in place of the stock one bbl. Do you have any comment on that ?

This shaft is not just wetness...it's visibly pouring out and being near the exhaust manifold makes me REAL nervous...

Last edited by Dogface; Sat Feb 16 2013 12:05 PM.

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Dogface #920288 Sat Feb 16 2013 01:05 PM
D
Shop Shark
Sounds like a flooding issue

Debris in the carb,

Has the carb been rebuilt recently?

I saw a carter 2100s on eBay recently, rebuilt with warranty
Kinda expensive but ready to bolt on

Dogface #920290 Sat Feb 16 2013 01:13 PM
B
'Bolter
Nice truck, I would fix it ASAP $350 may seem cheap in light of an engine fire?

Dogface #920314 Sat Feb 16 2013 03:20 PM
M
Shop Shark
Like DADS50 says, sure sounds like debris in the needle and seat, or some float issue.

The B carb is super simple, and there are great instructions in the shop manual for checking the float level etc.

I've never had a two barrel carb so I can't comment on them.

I have had a hole in my B float, that made gas pour out of the car like you describe though. Bought a new float for $12 at the FLAPS. Other than that, the B that's on my engine right now has been trouble free for 12,000 miles.

Christopher

In the Gallery
Pictures in Photodork

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Dogface #920341 Sat Feb 16 2013 05:36 PM
B
Shop Shark
my carb did this several times, you are overfilling the bowl, whatever the reason. Like has been mentioned, debris stuck in the needle valve, sunk float, I also had an issue with the float actually resting on the bottom of the bowl after the gas evaporated, and apparently the new fuel formulations are very sticky after it dries out and holds the float down and lets the fuel flow freely. Set your float DROP as well.

Brad Allen #920346 Sat Feb 16 2013 06:02 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Brad Allen
Nice truck, I would fix it ASAP $350 may seem cheap in light of an engine fire?

You sure got that right. As for rebuild, I know you guys know your stuff but the guy doing my work seems to know too. There is a rod on the bottom with a brass bushing. It's leaking there. He says that can't be fixed...or at least not easily. I'm leaning strongly toward the Weber 2bbl progressive. Guys seem to like that set up. One of the guys on SB may sell me his double setup incl manifold...

Oh, and Brad, thanks for the compliment....I still have not named her....taking suggestions...was thinking of Loosey since she rattles a bit, but that didn't stick...

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop